Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I haven't been to see this car as of yet, I SOOOO Want to, though. But I digress, a friend of mine told me that the fiberglass shell he saw was "huge", but I know he doesn't drive or have any F-bodys.
So I was wondering (and this is probably directed towards those who own 4th gens) how big is the 5th Generation compared to the 4th? in terms of anything that strikes you as important...hieght, width, lenght...overall impressions, thanks
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #44
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Wasn't there a picture online some time ago that showed the silver concept in the presence of a 4th Gen? I remember it, but don't remember where to find it.

And the 5th Gen rode quite a bit higher than the 4th.

So if you're happy with the ride height of the 5th Gen, I doubt it'll get any higher. Possibly slightly lower.
here it is!

Name:  camaro.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  51.6 KB
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #45
Mr. Wyndham

nope, sorry friend, but that's a first gen...
A fourth Generation is like in TAG's or Moose's signature...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #46
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I haven't been to see this car as of yet, I SOOOO Want to, though. But I digress, a friend of mine told me that the fiberglass shell he saw was "huge", but I know he doesn't drive or have any F-bodys.
So I was wondering (and this is probably directed towards those who own 4th gens) how big is the 5th Generation compared to the 4th? in terms of anything that strikes you as important...hieght, width, lenght...overall impressions, thanks
It seems a little wider. Seems to be about the same height. Doesn't seem to be longer or shorter. I think it's tough to say unless you can put them side by side. It did appear that the 5th Gen had more room inside than the 4th Gen. Sorry...but it doesn't seem huge to me. It just seems like a new musclecar in it's own design.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #47
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
Quote:
nope, sorry friend, but that's a first gen...
A fourth Generation is like in TAG's or Moose's signature...
Sorry I don't remember ANY picture of the concept and a 4th Gen camaro. I don't think there was one. Why.. or for that matter compare the Concept with a 4th Gen camaro? That would be the proverbial apples and oranges.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #48
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson View Post
here it is!

Attachment 1114
I think they will lift it a bit. The entire car is sitting to low for general motors not to be worried about people coming back with damage and wanting a fix on the warranty. I will live with lowering it myself. That is a sweet picture.
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #49
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm confident also that it will have quite a bit of wheel gap in it. Like has already been said, the wheels on the concept are rediculously oversized, and they can afford to have it sit aggressively on them, the car is not driven per se.

But I'm excited about the little things like this...it makes it that much easier to stand out with one without doing something rediculously expensive. Throw some mild springs under her to get the ride height down to something more aggressive and it will look that much better compared to the neighbor's stocker.

Assuming it doesn't void the warranty. :P
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #50
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
I agree MerF, I am going to invest in larger wheels though with much smaller tire profile and lower it. Hopefully I will not have any problems.
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #51
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm confident also that it will have quite a bit of wheel gap in it. Like has already been said, the wheels on the concept are rediculously oversized, and they can afford to have it sit aggressively on them, the car is not driven per se.

But I'm excited about the little things like this...it makes it that much easier to stand out with one without doing something rediculously expensive. Throw some mild springs under her to get the ride height down to something more aggressive and it will look that much better compared to the neighbor's stocker.

Assuming it doesn't void the warranty. :P
It's hard to say what they will do in the production versions. In first gen. Camaros, all of them had 14" rims except the Z/28 which had 15" rims, yet the Z/28 sat two inches lower than other Camaros. So there is a history of doing some different things on different versions of the same car.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
It seems a little wider. Seems to be about the same height. Doesn't seem to be longer or shorter. I think it's tough to say unless you can put them side by side. It did appear that the 5th Gen had more room inside than the 4th Gen. Sorry...but it doesn't seem huge to me. It just seems like a new musclecar in it's own design.
Good, cause when he said it was huge, and me not having a personal experience with the car...shook me up a little bit...because I didn't think it was really that big...nor do I want it to be "huge".

I wouldn't consider it to be apples and oranges...not really, anyways. After all it is the same car at heart. It's the 5th generation, not a reincarnated 1st (cough) (Mustang!) (cough), Thank God
Old 05-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #53
Mungo

Drives: trans am
For those who are worried ( Moose) that the gap between the wheel well and the tire will be bigger if they use samller rims..don't worry. Look tires on the concept are 275/30 R 21's and 305/30 R22's. Convert millimeters of the tire tread by multiplying by .03937. The side wall is a percentage of the tread. Soo.. a tread of 275 = 10.82 inches. 30% of that is 3.24 inches. For the rear 305 = 12.00 inches 30% of that is 3.60. Sounds crazy, but the front tires have a smaller side wall demention than the rear. Smaller wheels do not mean a smaller tire. Just what side wall demention they use. You could use 275/35 or 40's R 19 fronts and 305/ 35 or 40's R20 rears and still fill the wheel well just nicely. Just play with tread and side wall ratios. They're engineers they can figure it out.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
For those who are worried ( Moose) that the gap between the wheel well and the tire will be bigger if they use samller rims..don't worry. Look tires on the concept are 275/30 R 21's and 305/30 R22's. Convert millimeters of the tire tread by multiplying by .03937. The side wall is a percentage of the tread. Soo.. a tread of 275 = 10.82 inches. 30% of that is 3.24 inches. For the rear 305 = 12.00 inches 30% of that is 3.60. Sounds crazy, but the front tires have a smaller side wall demention than the rear. Smaller wheels do not mean a smaller tire. Just what side wall demention they use. You could use 275/35 or 40's R 19 fronts and 305/ 35 or 40's R20 rears and still fill the wheel well just nicely. Just play with tread and side wall ratios. They're engineers they can figure it out.
I don't want you to try and explain...I just wanted to state that you made me feel kinda stupid right there....thanks. lol
Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #55
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Quote:
I don't want you to try and explain...I just wanted to state that you made me feel kinda stupid right there....thanks. lol
I'm not sure if you are kidding, but I'm sorry that was not my intention to make ANYONE feel that way. No put downs on this site. Just too much time on my hands. Just did some research to see if smaller whells would effect the wheel gap and it won't. I've been sitting here figuring tire combinations. 275/35 R19's in front an 305/35 R20's in rear or 275/40 R18's front and 305/40 R19's rear will do it.
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #56
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Robinson View Post
Sorry I don't remember ANY picture of the concept and a 4th Gen camaro. I don't think there was one. Why.. or for that matter compare the Concept with a 4th Gen camaro? That would be the proverbial apples and oranges.
It was a picture taken at some Camaro gathering last year. I'll look it up shortly, I think I remember the title of the thread it was in.

I wasn't comparing it to a 4th gen really, just the ride height.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote