Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
CamaroGang_BANGBANG

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
I will just about guarantee you that it does not.
+1

U usually get wat u pay for. $118? Uhh seems a bit suspect
CamaroGang_BANGBANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #44
Johnny@MTI

Drives: 99 ls1 miata
With a cai and everything else stock you won't need a tune. At stock power levels a cai benefit is keeping air intake temps down. A stock ecu starts to pull timing around 80*. So if you can keep intake temps down you will be making more power. On boosted vehicles we have seen 60hp gains when adding a cai. Due to the ability to flow more cfm.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #45
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirZeusor View Post
I basically did exactly what you want to do .
I have a 2012 1LS.

Exhaust and CIA.

Sounds amazing, reduced a lot of weight.
I eat a LOT of RS package 2LS.

It's the manual trans, weight off the exhaust and cia I'm convinced.

(dyno readings I don't think take in to account the weight reduction do they? someone correct me please if I am wrong....?) those darn trash cans were HEAVY!

You just can't drag against an experienced manual transmission driver in an automatic.
That nut you're racing in the manual will take every gear to redline regardless of what the computer wants to do.

Most of all playing with your toy is fun and anything that puts a smile on my face is a gain!
I'm really not trying to sound like an ass here so please bare with me. But a lot of what you said is misinformation.

You're right by saying that dynos don't take into consideration weight reduction. And taking off the exhaust cans is a big gain in weight reduction.

Now, assuming we're talking about racing at the drag strip, a manual driver will almost always lose to an auto car at the track. It's truly an artform trying to launch a manual car at a track. An auto all he has to do is push the gas pedal down and hold on. Don't believe me? Go look at the v6 fast list, the v8 fast list, and the drag strip section. There's a reason manual v8s can't run big numbers. They just can't launch them right. Same thing applies for the v6. Everytime I'm at the track, I like to race anything that'll line up next to me even if I know I'll get my doors blown off (ex. raced an Audi R8). But when I know the other guy is in a manual, I always have a chance to win. There's just so much more you can do wrong in a manual vs an auto. I've beat 3 SS manual cars just because they can't launch and were stuck spinning at the line.

Also, the ECU will shift at redline in an auto everytime you go WOT. So saying that because you can shit at redline in your manual gives you an advantage is wrong. The auto does the exact same thing.

Now, assuming you are talking about racing on a "private road", then that's a whole different ballgame. But sadly, you're still flawed in your thinking. The manual certainly presents an advantage racing on a "private road" because you get to choose the gear to put the car in and start right in the power band. But the reason you beat 2LS cars isn't because you have a manual. It's because they don't have the ability to use paddle shifts since they don't have a sport mode. Another reason you beat the 2LS is because they come with the 2.92 "economy" gears. While all other models come with the standard 3.23 gears. I can confidently say that if you line up against an auto 1LT you'll get a much closer race because he has the 3.23 gears and Sport Mode as well.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #46
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Stock for stock manual cars are faster with even drivers.

Op do a catch can for longterm reliability,, and also a Cai for Increased mpg and better cooling. Add a catback IF you want better sound if not save for FI
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #47
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Another reason you beat the 2LS is because they come with the 2.92 "economy" gears. While all other models come with the standard 3.23 gears. I can confidently say that if you line up against an auto 1LT you'll get a much closer race because he has the 3.23 gears and Sport Mode as well.
The standard V6 gear ratio (except for the 2LS) is 3.27:1.

And when I look at the Fast Lists, at least the "bone stock" ones, the manuals basically own them. Bolt-ons and mods seem to even things out for the autos, though. Or am I not looking at what you intended?
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #48
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'm really not trying to sound like an ass here so please bare with me. But a lot of what you said is misinformation.

You're right by saying that dynos don't take into consideration weight reduction. And taking off the exhaust cans is a big gain in weight reduction.

Now, assuming we're talking about racing at the drag strip, a manual driver will almost always lose to an auto car at the track. It's truly an artform trying to launch a manual car at a track. An auto all he has to do is push the gas pedal down and hold on. Don't believe me? Go look at the v6 fast list, the v8 fast list, and the drag strip section. There's a reason manual v8s can't run big numbers. They just can't launch them right. Same thing applies for the v6. Everytime I'm at the track, I like to race anything that'll line up next to me even if I know I'll get my doors blown off (ex. raced an Audi R8). But when I know the other guy is in a manual, I always have a chance to win. There's just so much more you can do wrong in a manual vs an auto. I've beat 3 SS manual cars just because they can't launch and were stuck spinning at the line.

Also, the ECU will shift at redline in an auto everytime you go WOT. So saying that because you can shit at redline in your manual gives you an advantage is wrong. The auto does the exact same thing.

Now, assuming you are talking about racing on a "private road", then that's a whole different ballgame. But sadly, you're still flawed in your thinking. The manual certainly presents an advantage racing on a "private road" because you get to choose the gear to put the car in and start right in the power band. But the reason you beat 2LS cars isn't because you have a manual. It's because they don't have the ability to use paddle shifts since they don't have a sport mode. Another reason you beat the 2LS is because they come with the 2.92 "economy" gears. While all other models come with the standard 3.23 gears. I can confidently say that if you line up against an auto 1LT you'll get a much closer race because he has the 3.23 gears and Sport Mode as well.
Right on. Launches are consistent in the auto, whereas in the manual you need to learn where to launch best, and practice at being consistent with it.

And yes, the auto will run all the way up to redline and then shift perfectly under WOT, while the manual driver has to make a good shift and not grind or miss a gear.

I got nothing against manuals, and if driven perfectly usually are faster, but it is how it is.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #49
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I hot rodded stuff in the '80s and '90s when you could get some improvement over what the factory gave you.

Flash forward...

I don't honestly believe significant gains can be made on the little V6s without tune or forcing with what all the research GM put into these cars. I know the aftermarket intakes and exhaust are expensinve and shiny but other than saving some weight on mufflers I'd not bother.

Will you gain a couple HP? Yeah maybe a couple but for that kind of money?

I'd rather spend the money taking the car on vacation or some good bottles of scotch.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
2full garage. who is XYZ Tuning? a CAI for $118 is cheap. does it do what the CAI Inc. and K@N cold air intakes do? why it so much cheaper. thanks
XYZ tuning........Sorry I have been on Vacation....Riviera maya

The price is 119.99 comes with everything you need (except clear instructions)..common sense makes it straight forward though http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-RED-12-1...item58a31d0dac

Hard to see in the picture, but it comes with enough gasket material to go around the top and the bottom. You just need to cut it into the lengths you need.

Not sure of the performance difference between this and any other 3.5" intake. The only improvements I see that could be done to this would be a more gradual bend into the TB.
the filter is huge and could not be bigger. The bend is tight but I think it is with any kit on this LFX. Maybe that is why the stock has all the resonator chambers. To minimize dead air zones and turbulence from that sharp turn ..(yes I am kidding before y'all go crazy analyzing)

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, mod, tune