Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
GLEE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I got a great DSSV struts/springs, now what

like the title says i got a great deal on them. i have a 2014 ss. i have 19x11 on all four corners. I'm assuming they would bolt right on? I'm looking for advice on what else to get for my suspension now. i haven't been researching but had the opportunity on the dssv and took it. I'm thinking ill replace my rear sway with the jpss rear bar, solid subframe mounts, jpss radius inserts. i have read before that the Z knuckles, end links and upper outer bushings are also an upgrade, is this true? detroit motor mounts? Also I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot because i haven't looked into suspension for a while so any help is appreciated. i would like to keep the rest of the mods to under 2,000. the car is a semi daily driver and id like to get into autox. thank you to everyone that contributes
GLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
derieu
Engineer

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
dssv struts/springs are super stiff already, you want smaller sway bars not the large ones. factory z28 is like 23/25 i believe or 24/25 f/r. if you goto a larger sway bar front and rear, youre going to be driving the fred flinstone rock mobile
derieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Yes they are all upgrades. But I would use the stock z 28 sways first and see what you think. Stiff shocks and springs need smaller bars, softer shocks and springs like stiffer bars. Gm uses the latter setup for good cornering and a good ride. The dssv will be a stiff ride. The Endlinks will be needed for the bars and are a larger diameter then the SS links for handling the bars. Oh yes the z bars are 25 and 26 mm. Autocross course layouts and surfaces will dictate setups to. I and others here in So Cal use z28 like spring rates, keep coilovers shocks set in the middle and sways close to the z28 for good grip on not so great pavement
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Hi Blayne, Yes, they will bolt on. I have the Z setup on my '14 1LE. Good advice on getting the Z bars, a proven baseline. They are 25/26 mm front/rear. You may already have the correct endlinks, front and rear since you have a '14. But do some part # searches/cross reference either at your local GM dealer or online to see what you have. Use your vin # for accurate info to find out what endlinks you have. Someone here on the forums is selling some OEM Z bars. They are/were on Amazon too. The rear Z springs will drop the rear a small amount, but the front stays about the same. You "should" time your rear bushings due to the drop. I have done some of the Z control arms. I did the Z rear knuckles, rear UCA bushing, and trailing arms. Though I did swap out the Z trailing arms for some UMI Performance Roto-Joint Trailing Arms. Check out my build thread (link in sig) for more info and pics. Also, check out what toe rods you have on your '14, the OE 1LE/ZL1/Z/28 toe rods are excellent. They are all the same part #.

The Z/28 springs/DSSvs are stiff. I see you are in PA like me, so yeah, the roads suck. But, the Z setup is worth the stiffness!

Solid subframe mounts and the radius rod inserts are good mods. Not sure the motor mounts are needed though, If I remember correctly, the 1LE has upgraded motor mounts. That could be a good upgrade vs yours. (If they are different!)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
I happen to have a set of Z28 bars I literally just pulled off. PM me if interested. Balance is perfect IMO.

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Lonewolf583 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
GLEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by derieu View Post
dssv struts/springs are super stiff already, you want smaller sway bars not the large ones. factory z28 is like 23/25 i believe or 24/25 f/r. if you goto a larger sway bar front and rear, youre going to be driving the fred flinstone rock mobile
thank you. i was thinking i had heard that some Z owners were upgrading the rear bar to a larger one and putting the v6 bar on the front but i must have been mistaken
Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
GLEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Yes they are all upgrades. But I would use the stock z 28 sways first and see what you think. Stiff shocks and springs need smaller bars, softer shocks and springs like stiffer bars. Gm uses the latter setup for good cornering and a good ride. The dssv will be a stiff ride. The Endlinks will be needed for the bars and are a larger diameter then the SS links for handling the bars. Oh yes the z bars are 25 and 26 mm. Autocross course layouts and surfaces will dictate setups to. I and others here in So Cal use z28 like spring rates, keep coilovers shocks set in the middle and sways close to the z28 for good grip on not so great pavement
looks like before i install these i will get bars and links at minimum
Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
GLEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Hi Blayne, Yes, they will bolt on. I have the Z setup on my '14 1LE. Good advice on getting the Z bars, a proven baseline. They are 25/26 mm front/rear. You may already have the correct endlinks, front and rear since you have a '14. But do some part # searches/cross reference either at your local GM dealer or online to see what you have. Use your vin # for accurate info to find out what endlinks you have. Someone here on the forums is selling some OEM Z bars. They are/were on Amazon too. The rear Z springs will drop the rear a small amount, but the front stays about the same. You "should" time your rear bushings due to the drop. I have done some of the Z control arms. I did the Z rear knuckles, rear UCA bushing, and trailing arms. Though I did swap out the Z trailing arms for some UMI Performance Roto-Joint Trailing Arms. Check out my build thread (link in sig) for more info and pics. Also, check out what toe rods you have on your '14, the OE 1LE/ZL1/Z/28 toe rods are excellent. They are all the same part #.

The Z/28 springs/DSSvs are stiff. I see you are in PA like me, so yeah, the roads suck. But, the Z setup is worth the stiffness!

Solid subframe mounts and the radius rod inserts are good mods. Not sure the motor mounts are needed though, If I remember correctly, the 1LE has upgraded motor mounts. That could be a good upgrade vs yours. (If they are different!)
i will check out to see if i have the stronger links and toe rods already, i do have just the ss though not the 1le. i think the knuckles, uca bushing, trailing arms are the things i was thinking i would need.

so far my list is this
Check links and rods, if they're not 1le spec already then purchase them
Z knuckles, Luca bushings, trailing arms
radius arm inserts
solid subframe mounts
most likely Z front and rear bars
Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #9
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I did not do the Z/28 knuckle, and trailing arms right away. I had the JDP rear upper control arm bushing, but I found its bolt loose twice, so I decided I was done playing with that. That is better for a drag car, not a road course car. That's when I did the Z bush there.