Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
...and if you always want to ensure that your Camaro has full-synthetic oil in it, do the oil changes yourself!

That's what I do. The dealer hasn't touched my car, except for a recall, since I bought it. If you decide to go this route, just keep copies of receipts and mark down in the manual when the services were done.
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
I believe (I am not an expert, and not claiming it) that the cars come with a blended engine oil, with a strong concentration of something that helps lubricate the rings and everything. Look below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=129903&page=2

"While the official answer is that the factory oil fill is nothing special....just plain 5W30 Mobil 1 just like you get in the store...the fact is that the engine was assembled on the assembly line with a small amount of ZDP rich assembly lube applied to critical surfaces as assembly lube. Cylinder walls, ring, ring lands, bearings, cam lobes, etc. all receive local applications of a Lubrizol assembly lube product an/or EOS. This assembly lube probably totals around 6 ounces or so total for the engine. This obviously protects against local scuffing or wear during the initial few seconds of operation and then the ZDP rich assembly lube is washed into the oil and contributes to spiking the factory oil fill with extra ZDP....so....in fact, the factory oil fill does, by default, have slightly higher levels of ZDP to guard against breakin wear. Removing this oil and changing early does put less ZDP in the oil for the breakin miles that follow."

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
During thefirst 500 miles the rings need to seat properly or you will have oil useage issues and increased blow-by, and full syn is to protective to insure this. If the rings do not aet in that short window, then the cylinder wall glaze has become to hard for it ever to. So yes, eventhough many come motors from the factory w/full syn, I always drain and run a good conventional or a blend until 500-1000 miles, then get it iut and run ONLT a good full syn from there.

The owners manual states syn blend for the V6, but as a engine builder that is into more of these than most any I can tell you with total conviction, do NOT run a blend.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Amen Andy!!!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
The big question is, did they charge you for full synthetic every time before?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
If they don't know what motor oil to put in your Camaro then I would
choose a different dealership service department to use or do your
own oil changes it is easy and cheaper then going to the dealership
just for a oil change.Any dealership service department that knows
about your LSX engine will know to only use Mobil 1 full synthetic
every oil change and use a AC Delco or Mobil 1 oil filter.
Mobil 1 is endorsed and highly recommended by GM engineering.
Blueovalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Use the type oil and change at the intervals recommended in your Owner's Manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
...do your own oil changes it is easy and cheaper then going to the dealership just for a oil change.
This ^

I just changed my oil and filter this morning. A 5/8" and a 15/16" socket, a light duty torque wrench, an oil catching bucket, 6 qts of Syn-Blend, and a new filter. Took me about 45 minutes (I like to let the oil drain a long time.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote