Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for all the information. I'm planning on getting a 1SS as well, and would love the auto-dimming mirror. The homelink also sounds like a great add-on.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Auto dimming mirror installation complete

I sent the Gentex 50-GENK6A mirror back to Mito Corp since Mito Corp could not deliver a wiring harness patch cable to make the older style connecter on the mirror connect to the new style connector present in the 2010 Camaro. I waited a LONG time for this cable and they were still several weeks away from having one.

I then checked with three different Chevy parts departments to confirm what part number was correct for the OnStar capable auto dimming mirror found in the 2LT/2SS Camaros. It is 13503048.

I ordered the 13503048 mirror from gmpartsdirect.com for a total of $103.60 (shipped). I just received it today and installed it in about 5 minutes. I pulled the Camaro out of the garage and tested the OnStar button and it worked.

I pulled the Camaro back into the garage and closed the garage door (to simulate night time). I used a flash light as my "light source from behind" to see if the mirror did in fact "dim". It did.

Success!

If you have a LS/1LT/1SS with a flip mirror, you can purchase GM mirror 13503048 to get the same mirror found in the 2LT/2SS Camaros.

The auto dimming mirror is "bigger" (height) than the flip mirror, but only by a 1/4". It really didn't seem like a huge change (to me).

So there you go....
Old 09-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Great! Now I can add it to my future car without paying a lot on getting the next trim level.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Good info on everything!

Haven't done much night driving yet, but hoping the tint will do the trick. Too bad the home link connector was not there.
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
chadsim93

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
I received a call today that the console that I ordered was in.

I picked up the part and it sure enough did have the Homelink transmitter.

When I arrived home, I removed the existing console (4 snaps and two screws [behind the dome light]).

I found that there was NO wiring harness connection for the Homelink unit. It seems the 1SS wiring harness is feature specific and if the Homelink unit is not included in the car at the factory the harness does not include a connector for it. It's a flat edged connector as well making it even more fun to connect.

I identified the 12 volt power and ground connectors on the homelink unit (took some serious examination of the circuit board. I soldered on two wire leads to the connector leads coming out of the homelink unit. I wired up the 12 volt side to a switched power lead that is present in the mirror harness (which runs right by this area / pink wire next to green wire on the car side of the mirror connector) and I placed a fuse in the wire lead to make sure I didn't blow anything.

About 1 hours later I have a 1SS with a Homelink transmitter in it. Since it's using a switched 12 volt power lead, it only works with the ignition switch is on, but that's not really a problem.

What fun that was!!

The status of the 50-GENK6A mirror install is that Mito Corp is now creating a wiring harness that will connect the mirror to the GM harness connector. After I inquired about the wiring "issue", the found out that many of the current GM vehicles are using the new style wiring and this was a task they needed to go through anyway to make their mirrors compatible with current GM vehicles. More on this part of this topic next week....

Here are some pictures of the console

Pic 1) Part Number label on box for the new console with Homelink transmitter

Pic 2) Rear view of new console (Homelink in lower left corner)

Pic 3) Close up of the homelink portion of the console (connector near my thumb in the picture) - Ground = Connector near center, 12 volt = left most connector

Pic 4) Front view of console section with homelink buttons

I hope that helps someone else!

Disclaimer:

I'm willing to be responsible for the changes I make to my Camaro, but I only offer this as information that you can use at your own risk.
Thanks for all your great info it really helped me a lot. I followed your directions and now all i have to do is wire up the homelink. I just don't know where to solder on to the homelink. Here is a pic of it. If you could show me where to solder it would help me a lot. Thanks.
Attached Images

chadsim93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Awesome job Shiftz!!! Thanks for the hard work!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #21
shiftz33

In the picture with the homelink unit cover open, the left most pin is negative and the right most pin is the 12v positive.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
chadsim93

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
In the picture with the homelink unit cover open, the left most pin is negative and the right most pin is the 12v positive.
Thanks. Do i need to solder wire on other side.
Or is the one side good enough.
chadsim93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
billyspeed
BILLYSPEED

Drives: 2016 black camaro SS
does anybody no if the mirror from other gms will work ? years/models ??
billyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #24
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Great Info, I can't thank the people of Camaro5 enough. My LS has been transformed into the car I really want with only the mods I want at less than half the cost of the 2LT/RS options ! By the end of the holidays most changes should be done (If this cold weather breaks in the northeast) and I'll get to drive my car on the nice days again !
Old 05-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
Cj_

Drives: 1LT
Does anyone know if you can just get the homelink without the console? I have the opening for the homelink in the console, just not the homelink. (Sunroof console)
Cj_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #26
littleman54321

Drives: Something
So...stupid question. If the right most-connector in the picture gets connected to the pink wire, where does the left most connector get connected to? A ground wire in that same area?

littleman54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #27
shiftz33

I located a hole in the roof support panel very near the homelink unit that I ended up putting a short screw into to connect my negative wire lead to. Just be careful in selecting a screw short enough to not hit the outer roof panel itself. I scraped a little paint away from the metal to allow the connector to get a good solid connection for the ground wire.

I only ran one wire forward to the pink wire for the switched 12v power supply.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #28
littleman54321

Drives: Something
Sigh. I think I may have screwed up my homelink module. My soldering job was terrible. Pics attached, and links to really huge high quality pics too. (Just so you can see how awesome my soldering is). I really hope that's not the case....but it looks pretty bad in the pics. In the rare event that's not what was wrong, I found 2 pink wires in that harness. I tried both, and I never could get the LED on the homelink to light up. I suppose it's possible that I didn't have it grounded well too. I just had it touching the painted part of the roof as daylight was running out.

The 2 pink wires in question:
http://strategixit.com/Camaro/IMG_1596.JPG
http://strategixit.com/Camaro/IMG_1601.JPG

My amazing soldering:
http://strategixit.com/Camaro/IMG_1606.JPG
http://strategixit.com/Camaro/IMG_1608.JPG
Attached Images

littleman54321 is offline   Reply With Quote