Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Morimoto led fogs/DRLS install White light and bright

I installed morimotos led fogs in my drl location 1 1/2 years ago, and have been really happy with these. There very bright and cast a wide beam of light. They compliment my HID's with a matching white colored light. Not only that this has temporary resolved my HID's becoming dimmer after 8 years. I also purchased and installed the jumper harness that keeps the fog/drls on all the time. A member suggested I do a DIY. If there is enough interest I will do it. Here is a few video's links

https://youtu.be/8KLtgeEasdE

https://youtu.be/_TAjsymohlI
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
definitely interested in a write up on the install. ive been eyeing these years.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Yeah I’d be interested in a DIY
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I have a harness from Gen5DIY that turns on fogs with head lights but a harness that turns them on at all times would be awesome

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
That harness is like 10 bucks on Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Day...ro+fog+harness

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
lionssfan

Ok great, I'll start working on something. I hope I cover everything. it's been a 1 1/2 since I completed the install. But I did take a lot pictures step by step and a video.
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
Old 01-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
thiwho

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have seen what you have posted about the light and I started looking for them. After some Googling I have found that since I have a RS I would need to change out the housing around the DRL lights. One of the sites I found that had some info about this was Here. Was that the case for you when you did your's? I like the idea of having brighter DRL/Fog light to help the driving at night.

And yes please I would like to have a little more knowable about how to install them, I only found a little bit of info out there about how to change them over.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #8
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
That harness is like 10 bucks on Amazon...https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Day...ro+fog+harness
Nah man.. don't buy the cheapie amazon one. I have one on my SS and after a few years waters been getting in and ate away my entire pigtail and all my lights went wonky. Its not worth the savings bc now I have to replace the pigtail end from the cars harness and put a new harness from Gen5diy. They have great customer service also, they helped diagnose my entire lighting issue without a single complaint and set me up with everything I needed to fix it.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Old 01-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
So just wrap it in some more electrical tape and call it a day.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
So just wrap it in some more electrical tape and call it a day.
I wish it were that simple. It corroded all the pins in the connector. Sidemarkers went out and fogs only worked whenever they wanted to and sometimes not at all. Sometimes one would come on but just blink. I mean, if you wanna buy the cheapie and "weatherproof" it yourself then yeah, I guess that works. I decided this time to just get the better part plus I felt good buying from a vendor here who took the time to help me

Old 01-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiwho View Post
I have seen what you have posted about the light and I started looking for them. After some Googling I have found that since I have a RS I would need to change out the housing around the DRL lights. One of the sites I found that had some info about this was Here. Was that the case for you when you did your's? I like the idea of having brighter DRL/Fog light to help the driving at night.

And yes please I would like to have a little more knowable about how to install them, I only found a little bit of info out there about how to change them over.
I checked out the site Bigwormgraphix. They don't show what exactly comes with there kit, but unfortunately when you get the morimoto lamps you only get the lamp. It sounds like they provide what you need. There kit might be the way to go. I had to go the the junk yard and get the oem clips that hold the morimoto's in place. The older gm trucks have the clips that are more robust and hold in place very well with a push pin that I have added. The non RS vehicles looks like you can use those clips. I tried getting the clips by ordering the lamps online and the clips were very cheap and flimsy. I wanted something that would hold the fog in place tight, because their heavier then the originals. I'm working on a DIY. Here's a some pic to clear some things up.
The first pic is the original RS lamp. The clips are built into the lamp, so you have to get your own. Second pic is how the morimoto lamp comes. third is how it looks with the purchased hardware. And the fourth pic is how it looks installed with push pin to hold the clip ears out and hold in place more secure.
Attached Images

Edit Signature
Old 01-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
I wish it were that simple. It corroded all the pins in the connector. Sidemarkers went out and fogs only worked whenever they wanted to and sometimes not at all. Sometimes one would come on but just blink. I mean, if you wanna buy the cheapie and "weatherproof" it yourself then yeah, I guess that works. I decided this time to just get the better part plus I felt good buying from a vendor here who took the time to help me
If your going to hardwire it in. I would soder it and use shrink tube, and only shrink tube with sealant inside the shrink tube. that way its sealed from the outside environment. Otherwise its only a matter of time for failure.

I used the connector that came with the morimoto to make it more serviceable. but you have to trim the connector of the morimoto, so it will plug into the vehicle harness.

Edit Signature
Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
lionssfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiwho View Post

I didn't have to change the bezel around the housing if that's what your referring too. but at the same time I had a new front bumper and painted at the time. so I had to trim the housing area of some paint. I'm not sure if the paint was excessive or the new bumper was the culprit. I would call bigwormgraphix and see what there talking about. And just to mention. I can't speak for non-rs vehicles since I have a RS. but it sounds like you might be able to use the clips from the original lamp.
Attached Images

Edit Signature
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
thiwho

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I do have the RS light on my so from the photos you shared and the research I have done it look like I would have to get the kit with the extra hardware for them. See how the RS lights mount into the housing makes sense to me why I would need to add the clips to the morimoto lights. That is how they are held into the bumper, and I agree with you about wanting the ome clips to hold them in place.

Again I would like to think you for you time with writing up the how to guild on these, I think the help not only the look of the car play the drive-ably of it at night.