Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
seriously considering NO2...advice

With my ride layed up for the winter, I'm thinking of doing NO2. So far my only mods are the injen long CAI and some cosmetic stuff.

I have a manual and I need advice on who's system to go with and how to use it in a manual application. I also want to build in EVERY safety measure possible. I want to start out with a 75 shot because I don't want a tune right now, I'll get that done when I swap out me gears for 3.73's someday. I'll bump up the NO2 then maybe as I understand from folks here over 75 shot requires it.

So my questions are:

NX or ZEX or? I want a somewhat stealth install if possible

What RPM to begin a safe spray

Use of window switch and purging

Any driving tips for the 1/4 run (manual)

I'm skipping exhaust mods for now unless someone has a good reason it would be needed.

There are a few on this blog who seem to have it down, I've always been intrigued but scared at the same time
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
I run Zex. Zex makes a blackout kit for the V6 for stealth. You will also want a "racers kit' and Definately need a "window switch". This includes all you need. Once you get the kit, feel free to PM me and I will supply you with details you will need to run N2O safely and trouble free. The one thing you will definately need is a tune from Vince at Trifecta motorsports. DO NOT RUN NITROUS ON THE LLT WITHOUT A TUNE. If you do, you are inviting trouble and I will not be able to help you because the info I can provide for the N2O will work only on a tuned V6. All that said, I would go with NX instead of Zex. Call them and the will price up a custom kit and give you a killer deal and yes all the info I can give you would be pertinent to the NX kit as well.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Thanks ROD1!

question about the tune, can I get an NO2 tune and leave that one in for everyday driving or will I have to switch back to a non NO2 tune?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
HDRS
Fastest V6

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS 06 G6 GTP conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
Thanks ROD1!

question about the tune, can I get an NO2 tune and leave that one in for everyday driving or will I have to switch back to a non NO2 tune?
you will have to switch between tunes.

First I have to say listen to Rods suggestions he has taken the time and effort to set up the Nitrous right. Once you install the system and start running the car you will be very tempted to increase the Hp and this could be a problem so my advice is you must not get greedy. I run without a tune and I do not recommend this however Zex states you can run a 50 shot without retarding the factory timing. Since you are driving a manual tyranny then I also suggest you become very familiar with racing the car before you add the kit if you miss a shit this could be bad. This is the first time I ever ran nitrous and I have to say it is a lot of fun but to let you know I wanted to break into the 12s and thought I would be happy but know I want to break into the 11s and I only had the kit for four months.
Things you will need.
Nitrous kit $600.00
Race Kit $329.00
Window switch $175.00
Spark plugs $54.00
Tune $400.00
Cable for tune $200.00
Tires DR’s min $200.00 each
Wheels $250.00 each
Total $2658.00

And each tank fill $50-$60 per 10lb fill.

Good luck and let me know if you need additional help.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Thanks HDRS, I've followed the progress you folks have made, impressive to say the least, I know the greed/speed game very well, one thing for sure, someone else will always have more of both than us ($$$).

Thanks for laying it out for me in such detail, it's a bit to chew on. I'm hoping some v6'r does the 373 change up before I do, wondering what that does for the 1/4.

I would like to be in the low 13's at least, man could I wipe a lot of smirks if I was in the 12's.... be happy, it's a six, you're kicking a$$
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
Thanks for laying it out for me in such detail, it's a bit to chew on. I'm hoping some v6'r does the 373 change up before I do, wondering what that does for the 1/4.
With my 3" shorter tires, I am running about 3.65 ratio .
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
I run Zex. Zex makes a blackout kit for the V6 for stealth. You will also want a "racers kit' and Definately need a "window switch". This includes all you need. Once you get the kit, feel free to PM me and I will supply you with details you will need to run N2O safely and trouble free. The one thing you will definately need is a tune from Vince at Trifecta motorsports. DO NOT RUN NITROUS ON THE LLT WITHOUT A TUNE. If you do, you are inviting trouble and I will not be able to help you because the info I can provide for the N2O will work only on a tuned V6. All that said, I would go with NX instead of Zex. Call them and the will price up a custom kit and give you a killer deal and yes all the info I can give you would be pertinent to the NX kit as well.
Do you know what Vince is doing in your N2O tune besides pulling some timing? In theory that is all he should need to do... Also in theory should be able to run the small shots, 50 to 75, without a tune... notice I said in theory...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Do you know what Vince is doing in your N2O tune besides pulling some timing? In theory that is all he should need to do... Also in theory should be able to run the small shots, 50 to 75, without a tune... notice I said in theory...
I'm wondering the same thing. Is he making it richer at WOT, too? Scaling the MAF to account for the extra oxygen? I've never run nitrous before so I always wondered about how you tune them. Seems like whatever he's doing is working really well...better than the first few tries with the turbos.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
With my 3" shorter tires, I am running about 3.65 ratio .

I've been thinking about this for some time as I've seen it in several discussions, what you are describing is a "to the pavement" ratio, is it really the same "pull effect" as if having actual gears? Can it be measured at the dyno? In a mechanical world, wouldn't it still require the same forces at each point of conversion? I do understand no matter what gear you have the taller the tires, the lower the final DR. I'm speaking of the forces right at the diff.

If you had a ten speed bike upside down and used your hand to crank the pedals (no load), it would still be much easier to do in 1st than 10th, I hope I've explained this well.....
Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. Is he making it richer at WOT, too? Scaling the MAF to account for the extra oxygen? I've never run nitrous before so I always wondered about how you tune them. Seems like whatever he's doing is working really well...better than the first few tries with the turbos.
Remember... the N20 is injected AFTER the MAF, so in theory the MAF doesn't see an increase in air. So really there shouldn't be any A/F tuning from a computer standpoint... the A/F tweaking is handled by installing the correct size fuel jet. Only thing really from an ECU tune stand point is pulling a few degrees of timing...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Remember... the N20 is injected AFTER the MAF, so in theory the MAF doesn't see an increase in air. So really there shouldn't be any A/F tuning from a computer standpoint... the A/F tweaking is handled by installing the correct size fuel jet. Only thing really from an ECU tune stand point is pulling a few degrees of timing...
I see. So it's like meth/H20 in reverse. In that case, you can advance timing a little because of the cooler charge even though the MAF doesn't read the new denser charge. Then yes, I agree these cars should handle smaller shots pretty easily. Of course, it pays to be caution so like Rod said, get a tune.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Yeah there was something else he did but you know how I am. "just make it work Vince" lol. I agree but it appears Zex is handing these guys huge jets and then having them run tiny N2O jets to keep them safe. HD and I run the same size fuel jet and Im at 125 shot using a 54 N2O. Oh yeah and I would feel terrible if someone had an issue just cuz they didnt tune.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Tx1Lt
Mark it ZERO!

Drives: '10 Black Camaro
Does running nitrous wear out your engine faster? Just curious.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx1Lt View Post
Does running nitrous wear out your engine faster? Just curious.
Generally nitrous is run intermittently and seldom. I only run it at the track and for only about a total of a less than a minute each time I hit the track. This would lead me to believe that it would attribute to a much longer shelf life than a turbo or a SC so long as it is used safely.