Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Stylish
Stylish

Drives: None, Camaro very soon!
Angry Engine Alarm!!!!!

I just had an Engine Alarm ON which is located in the MPH gauge. I have called OnStar to check this problem and they made a car diagnostic. Then they told if I made any fuel refill for my car because the fuel cap is not closed well!! (I don't know what is the relation between the Engine Alarm and the fuel cap).
Anyway they told me I need to check the fuel cap and close it well then they said to drive the car for a day or so to see if the Engine Alarm turn off or not. Then they told if its still ON, I have to take it to my dealer to check the car.
I just want to mention that my Camaro is a 2SS/RS with an Auto Transmission and the mileage is 458!

I am wondering if any one have an idea or similar issue.

2SS.
Black on Black.
RS Package.
Sun roof.
6 speed Auto with tap shift.

Stylish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Engine Alarm is alot like the check engine light. 90% of these case are gas cap not on tight. The system creates a vacumn and if not right the computer detects it and reports the issue.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Stylish
Stylish

Drives: None, Camaro very soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Engine Alarm is alot like the check engine light. 90% of these case are gas cap not on tight. The system creates a vacumn and if not right the computer detects it and reports the issue.
I didn't know that gas cap might cause this Engine Alarm Light. Thanks for the info.
But the gas cap is well closed, I checked it twice.
Do you have any idea what else it could be? :(

2SS.
Black on Black.
RS Package.
Sun roof.
6 speed Auto with tap shift.

Stylish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
If the gas cap is closed well, and was already closed well... it's time to take it to the dealer and not let people theory craft your problem. There are quite a few VERY knowledgeable people on this board. On the flip side, there are a lot of people who give very BAD advice.

If my engine light was on, I'd be calling to have it picked up on a flat bed truck. It doesn't cost you a dime, and I'm not going to risk engine damage.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
If the gas cap is closed well, and was already closed well... it's time to take it to the dealer and not let people theory craft your problem. There are quite a few VERY knowledgeable people on this board. On the flip side, there are a lot of people who give very BAD advice.

If my engine light was on, I'd be calling to have it picked up on a flat bed truck. It doesn't cost you a dime, and I'm not going to risk engine damage.
Trying to figure out if you just slammed me.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Trying to figure out if you just slammed me.
Please keep comments respectful.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Scott is correct.

This happens on just about all GM cars and trucks, and has been for years.

You CAN drive it.

If there is a serious issue that warrant NOT DRIVING, the engine light will FLASH and you should NOT drive your car!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Scott is correct.

You CAN drive it.

If there is a serious issue that warrant NOT DRIVING, the engine light will FLASH and you should NOT drive your car!

To the OP-
Just to add, this isnt just GM vehicles, its across the board for all new vehicles as part of federal emission requirements.

I've personally seen these new 'easy off' gas caps do this every once in a while. Even if it looks like its on perfect sometimes they just arent right, nothings wrong with the cap or the car, just happens. If you havent already, when you have the car off, take the gas cap back off and screw it back on, just to make sure its on there good.

Also, Onstar told you it was the gas cap because your computer is throwing a trouble code specific to the gas cap.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Scott is correct.

You CAN drive it.

+1! Happened to my GF truck! Check engine light came on and the gas cap had to be re-tightened but still had to go get the code reset!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Yep happened to my Honda and Autozone dude reset it for me for free.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
On my M3 I had the light come on (service engine soon) and off intermittently and it was always blamed on the gas cap. Finally after being very insistent the dealer performed more extensive testing and found that it was a bad coil pack. (which was a known issue on the M3 and for which a tech bulletin existed)

My engine was never 'at risk' as there's was another warning indicator that would have lit if it was an 'at risk' issue. I would suggest resetting the gas cap, get 20-30 miles driving done...add some more gas/fill up...ensure gas cap is seated properly...and get another 20-30 miles done. Then, if issue still exists take it to the dealer and have them pull codes and diagnose.

Not sure if that's "bad advice", but that's what I would do based on experience.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Look at it this way, it's another reminder for those absent minded people who forget to put their gas caps back on and end up driving around with it rubbing and scratching their paint.

Note this was NOT a slam on the OP because his just wasn't tight enough.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Common problem. Just didn't put it on tight enough.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
96rss/ls6
Inferno is the only color

Drives: 96 ls6 camaro, iom 2ss/rss /
Hey here is another thing that could be causing it and I had no idea. I thought I knew about all there is to know about these new engines but one of my buddies who is a master tech said when you pump gas , once the pump cuts itself off do not keep pumping that last little bit in because it will mess up the carbon cannister and set off this same light. I had no idea. Maybee this is common knowledge, but ive built many of these engines and never heard anything like this