Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #645
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SIL2SSLS3 View Post
Went from SLP Blackwing CAI to Vararam No-Tune.It pulls ALOT harder with Vararam!!!
Nice!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #646
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SIL2SSLS3 View Post
Went from SLP Blackwing CAI to Vararam No-Tune.It pulls ALOT harder with Vararam!!!
No surprise to a lot of us. Good to know you have joined the group.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #647
10SIL2SSLS3

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2SS LS3
Thanx! Figured i'd join the fun.
10 Silver Ice LS3,Inferno Orange Int, Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers w/High flo-cats,Vararam,Vmax TB,160 T-Stat,Flowmaster AMT Cat-back,TSP Underdrive Pulley,Granatelli Wires,Hurst Short throw,Mike Norris Motorsports Tune,3.91 Gears/Built Diff by RPM Transmissions Anderson IN,SLP SS badging with rear black-out panel. 409.7 RWHP 461.0 RWTQ
10SIL2SSLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #648
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
Not sure I like the rubber mat the plastic sits on, kinda funky looking...does it rub on the radiator?

Just out of curiosity where does it get the air from? is the air going over the AC condenser? Or is it coming in from the front slat?

it too bad they didnt come up with a cowl induction setup...that would be cool....
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #649
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty1970 View Post
Not sure I like the rubber mat the plastic sits on, kinda funky looking...does it rub on the radiator?

Just out of curiosity where does it get the air from? is the air going over the AC condenser? Or is it coming in from the front slat?

it too bad they didnt come up with a cowl induction setup...that would be cool....
The rubber mat serves it's purpose. I supposed you could trim it to fit more closely to the VR edges. I never notice the mat, though. It is a very thick mat and just lays across like a saddle. iirc someone said it was the same as one used on the police cars. But I could have pulled that out of the air.

The air comes from behind the grille and over the condensor and radiator as you stated.

Doesn't cowl induction come from air swirling down the windshield and into the hood? Even using the full length of the cowl, with a MAF sensor involved, not sure if air could make that tight of a bend, be consistantly/accurately metered, and get to the forward facing TB. But that is an uneducated thought on my part.

She is only memory now.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #650
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
The rubber mat is barely seen once the Vararam goes on top of it. It's designed to be a heat barrier between the radiator and the intake to minimize heat soak especially in static situations (at stoplights or while staging at the track). I suppose you could leave this off if it bothered you that much, though I wouldn't recommend it.

The front of the intake has a collector, a big scoop, that sits over - and in front of - the radiator and collects air from the front grill. Look at the photo below. the entire front (left side) is the scoop that sits in front of the radiator

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #651
Nasty1970

I like the design.
I will probably be getting one soon.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #652
Nasty1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
The rubber mat serves it's purpose. I supposed you could trim it to fit more closely to the VR edges. I never notice the mat, though. It is a very thick mat and just lays across like a saddle. iirc someone said it was the same as one used on the police cars. But I could have pulled that out of the air.

The air comes from behind the grille and over the condensor and radiator as you stated.

Doesn't cowl induction come from air swirling down the windshield and into the hood? Even using the full length of the cowl, with a MAF sensor involved, not sure if air could make that tight of a bend, be consistantly/accurately metered, and get to the forward facing TB. But that is an uneducated thought on my part.
yea I was thinking they could put the TB on the rear of the intake, rather than the front. But that would take some engineering....would be awesome though, especially if it was a working cowl induction!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #653
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
I almost hate pulling up an old thread, BUT... can someone PM me the name of the member making the brackets seen on page 24, post 577?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #654
IndeedSS1

I just received another new VR and installed it last night. Yes, once you've done the Vararam intake the others, so far, just don't do it for me. Anway I was impressed to see that VR has stepped up the quality on their intake. Time will tell if it seals well enough, but the PCV barbed fitting is now a black poly material. And yes I trimmed off 3 (meant to only do 2) barbs off of the end inside of the coupler just like I've done with all of the brass ones. What I like about this new fitting is that the area where the coupler sits actually seems to be the proper size. For now I like it.

The other thing they have done is dealt with the MAF sensor mounting area. In the past that opening would almost look like it was cut open with a hot knife by hand. Sometimes it would take a bit of clean up on the end users part before the sensor would fit. So now there is a very clean opening cut and a separate mount with brass screw inserts. This piece is epoxied into place over the cutout. Very nice work on VR's part

Oh and I like the new black MAF screws as well.

Sorry I only have a couple of crappy pictures of the MAF mounting area. The pictures don't show up as cleanly as the actual product, but this may give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

I can't wait until VR super wedge comes out.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #655
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I just received another new VR and installed it last night. Yes, once you've done the Vararam intake the others, so far, just don't do it for me. Anway I was impressed to see that VR has stepped up the quality on their intake. Time will tell if it seals well enough, but the PCV barbed fitting is now a black poly material. And yes I trimmed off 3 (meant to only do 2) barbs off of the end inside of the coupler just like I've done with all of the brass ones. What I like about this new fitting is that the area where the coupler sits actually seems to be the proper size. For now I like it.

The other thing they have done is dealt with the MAF sensor mounting area. In the past that opening would almost look like it was cut open with a hot knife by hand. Sometimes it would take a bit of clean up on the end users part before the sensor would fit. So now there is a very clean opening cut and a separate mount with brass screw inserts. This piece is epoxied into place over the cutout. Very nice work on VR's part

Oh and I like the new black MAF screws as well.

Sorry I only have a couple of crappy pictures of the MAF mounting area. The pictures don't show up as cleanly as the actual product, but this may give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

I can't wait until VR super wedge comes out.
Thanks for the pics! Looks a lot better!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote