Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 PM   #15
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
Mine has been squeeky. I put lube on the rotors now it takes forever to stop -.-
Old 10-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #16
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyplaya View Post
Mine has been squeeky. I put lube on the rotors now it takes forever to stop -.-
Hope this is a joke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I have noticed a build-up of brake dust contributing to noises on my 5th gen also.

The rears have a dust shield, and I think it keeps in a lot of dust. I've taken the rears apart and cleaned everything with sprays and wire wheels twice now in 40,000 miles. The rotors and pad life are great, but they are messy. Each time I take them apart, I get a good 15,000-20,000 miles before the noise comes back.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #18
rcinsolo

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 6 speed convertible
Everytime I do brakes on any of my cars or just have the wheels off I will take a heavy grit sand paper and rotate the rotor while sanding the rotor vertically from hub out both front and back. Just to lightly scuff the surface. This usually tends to get rid of the squeak or squeel of the glazing on the pad or the rotor.
rcinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #19
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
Yep, mine squeak, too. Mine are due to glazing, and stop for awhile after a good burnish. It's irritating, but as long as I know the pads and rotors are ok, I put up with it.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #20
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Mine started doing that when the front pads where about gone.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #21
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Stick some wheel weights on the calipers like they did in 2010. Also these are performance cars, some squeekiness is expected when cool. Have you guys heard some of the premium supercars?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #22
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I replaced all my pads this summer...the squeak was driving me nuts....zero noise in 4 months...such a relief.

Last edited by rontammy0; 10-23-2016 at 01:03 AM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #23
bad03chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Hi guys,

I put on slotted rotors and new pads all the way around and shortly after, I'd say ~ 500 miles or so the passenger front brakes developed a bad squeak, I mean bad like a damn semi truck. I thought that maybe the new rotor or pads became glazed to I pulled the rotor off to have it turned (even though there was no obvious sign of wear) but my local parts shop did no turn slotted rotors. So, I said what the hell since the rotors looked fine I put a new set of pads on. The squeak was gone for ~ 500 miles but returned. I did find a place to turned the rotor so tomorrow I will have the rotor turned, put some anti-squeak on the back of the some new pads and reassemble. We'll see what happens. The other 3 corners do not squeak at all. Comments welcomed.
bad03chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #24
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03chief View Post
Hi guys,

I put on slotted rotors and new pads all the way around and shortly after, I'd say ~ 500 miles or so the passenger front brakes developed a bad squeak, I mean bad like a damn semi truck. I thought that maybe the new rotor or pads became glazed to I pulled the rotor off to have it turned (even though there was no obvious sign of wear) but my local parts shop did no turn slotted rotors. So, I said what the hell since the rotors looked fine I put a new set of pads on. The squeak was gone for ~ 500 miles but returned. I did find a place to turned the rotor so tomorrow I will have the rotor turned, put some anti-squeak on the back of the some new pads and reassemble. We'll see what happens. The other 3 corners do not squeak at all. Comments welcomed.
Get a set of semi metallic pads for the front...zero noise...good breaking and durable so far.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #25
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
There is a Chevy Service Bulletin for the SS Brembo Brakes:

Service Bulletin No.: PIC5590A

Date: April, 2013
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION
Subject: Normal Characteristic - Front Or Rear Brake Noise On Slow Stops
Models: 2010 - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Equipped with Brembo Brakes
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that when they apply the brakes, the vehicle exhibits a squeal noise. This squeal
noise may be heard coming from the front or rear brakes and typically heard during slow stops. Replacing the pads
will only correct the concern for a short time until the pads glaze over again. Burnishing the pads will also provide
temporary relief. Pad replacement should only occur when normal wear conditions or physical damage require it.
Do not replace the pads for noise only concerns.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: For all brake noise issues refer to the latest version of 00-05-22-002: Disc Brake Warranty Service and
Procedures.
Note: Reference the latest version of 10-05-23-002 for 2010 models that meet the list of applicable models/
breakpoints within that document.
Brake Noise
Some brake noise is normal and differences in loading, type of driving, or driving style can make a difference in
brake wear on the same make and model. Depending on weather conditions, driving patterns and the local
environment, brake noise may become more or less apparent. Verify all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads,
pad guides, caliper and knuckles are clean. Brake noise is caused by a “slip-stick” vibration of brake components.
While intermittent brake noise may be normal, performing 3 to 4 aggressive stops may temporarily reduce or
eliminate most brake squeal.
The following noises are characteristics of all braking systems and are unavoidable. They may not indicate improper
operation of the brake system.
Squeak/Squeal Noise:
• Occurs with front semi-metallic brake pads at medium speeds when light to medium pressure is applied to the
brake pedal.
• Occasionally a noise may occur on rear brakes during the first few stops or with cold brakes and/or high
humidity.
Grinding Noise:
• Common to rear brakes and some front disc brakes during initial stops after the vehicle has been parked
overnight.
• Caused by corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use. Usually disappears after a few stops.
Groan Noise:
• A groan type noise may be heard when stopping quickly or moving forward slowly from a complete stop. This is
normal. On vehicles equipped with ABS, a groan or moan type noise during hard braking applications or loose
gravel, wet or icy road conditions is a normal function of the ABS activation.
Customer Information
Please communicate to the customer that these conditions are normal operating characteristics of their vehicle.
They will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the
customer, including a copy of this message.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is
resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
===
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #26
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
I just replaced the front brake pads and still hear that dang squealing at low speeds Next spring all 4 rotors and brake pads will be replaced with hawk pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Hopefully that will cure something.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
I just replaced the front brake pads and still hear that dang squealing at low speeds Next spring all 4 rotors and brake pads will be replaced with hawk pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Hopefully that will cure something.
I replaced my fronts with semi metallic...squealing was driving me nuts...stock rotors still semi metallic on the front ceramic on the back.....all summer noise free.