Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What to do?
Upgrade to a C6 Z06, forget them back seats! 8 17.78%
Trade in for a ZL1 37 82.22%
Hold on to the C5 and get a DD (unlikely lol) 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Of course you are going to get biased opinions here but what the heck.

I have owned 3 C5 Z06's. A 01 Torch red, a 03 Torch red and a 02 Yellow.
They were all great track cars but the ZL1 is better overall car. More comfy, still wicked fast and a super daily driver. Having the back seats comes in handy in a pinch.

I would take my ZL1 over any of my Z06's and they had various stages of mods on them.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
11B250

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post

They were all great track cars but the ZL1 is better overall car. More comfy, still wicked fast and a super daily driver. Having the back seats comes in handy in a pinch.

I would take my ZL1 over any of my Z06's and they had various stages of mods on them.
You know... I never tracked my cars. Id be interested to try it, but never have. Well I'm not counting drag track because I've only done that to get times and not in a competitive way.

That's another reason why I think this car is great for me.

I think I've justified it thanks to you guys and the test drive today. Just gotta find one for the right deal now and I'm set.

Anyone looking for a used c5 z06 for a great deal?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
11B250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Personally I never liked the C5, I think that the C6 is a more perfected Corvette, and specially the new Stingray.
Probably I'm in your same situation, before I almost got a beautiful C6 Corvette with the Z51 package, but I have two kids, so that was out of the question, I had to settle for a similar performance car at that time that was a Porsche 911 Carrera. Big mistake, even that the car handled great, it was VERY EXPENSIVE to maintain, and with many maintenance issues.
Now I'm driving a '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with the Brembo package and standard transmission, is a ball to drive it, but for work reasons I had to take my wife SUV, and she hates driving my car with a clutch. I have read about the Camaro ZL1, auto owners of this car are also satisfied, so I guess that this will our next car. The 1LE that I test drive is also an excellent choice, but only comes with the stick.
I hear ya... I don't have kids yet, but within the year, so I have to start changing my lifestyle.

I prefer the C5s over the C6s honestly. I only like the Z06s. Perhaps I'm spoiled. Love the C7s, but again... 2 seats and 1st year vehicle. just won't happen.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDJ View Post
I bought my ZL1 used with 3k miles for for 52k. Is auto with navigation and alloy rims. I expect u could get similar deal out there or maybe better. Not a ton of these floating around used but there are a few. And though I always preferred stick myself also...I really do enjoy the auto with paddle shifters. Its not quite the same as stick of course but u can still have a lot of fun with the car. And for a daily driver its really nice to drive with the auto. My wife likes to drive it too and back seat was a must for us. If u can the right one u wont b disappointed. Good luck
I'd like to test drive a auto now. the manual was fun. not much diff than the Z, which is also stick. smoother shifts and all, but same experience.

I do hate driving that stick in traffic, but I LOVE driving it when I feel spirited.

Is it true these cars actually are faster with the auto? or is that some hype? it makes me curious because GM markets it as that, but on the nurburgring, they took out a manual, and obviously this transmission doesn't even come as an option in the new Z28, which says perhaps not? I need to do more research on this matter.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post

what did you think about the performance capabilities of your C5 Z06s vs this car? To me it felt slightly slower, but that could be the extra people in the car and the quieter exhaust system messing with me. seat of the pants, my car felt faster. (it dynoed 387/365)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
What about selling your wife's maxima and get the new Chevy SS?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
What about selling your wife's maxima and get the new Chevy SS?
She wants a Truck as her next car. and the SS trade still leaves us stuck with one 4 seat, and one 2 seat car, which isn't any diff from now. lol
Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
11Bravo,

FWIW-
I was in an VERY similar situation as you. So much so, it's scary. Bottom line up front, I decided on the ZL1.

I had an 03Z and the wife wants kids. She also complained constantly about the Vette. We decided to sell this:

Loved my Z but absolutely hated listening to the wife complain. I actually contemplated buying a C6Z, but would have been more of the same bitching. No thanks.
And I bought this:

Found the gas mileage absolutely atrocious. Quick truck, but we never drove it because it was that bad in MPG. I bought it with 18k miles and sold it a year later with 24k miles.
Finially picked this up earlier this month and COULD NOT be more happy with my decision. I seriously don't think I can put into words how awesome this thing is. Wife loves it and it has a backseat. Went 12.4 2 weeks a go with an M6, stock tires and a a $300 roto fab intake. We just came back from an 1800 miles round trip for thanksgiving where the wife didn't have a single bad thing to say. I got at least 2 "bad ass car, man" at every gas station I stopped at. GO FOR the ZL1!
BPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B250 View Post
what did you think about the performance capabilities of your C5 Z06s vs this car? To me it felt slightly slower, but that could be the extra people in the car and the quieter exhaust system messing with me. seat of the pants, my car felt faster. (it dynoed 387/365)
My Z06 "felt" faster, but wasn't. The C5Z was a little more "nimble" feeling but straight line on the ZL1 is better, just more subtle. Your "butt dyno" is deceiving...
BPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B250 View Post
I'd like to test drive a auto now. the manual was fun. not much diff than the Z, which is also stick. smoother shifts and all, but same experience.

I do hate driving that stick in traffic, but I LOVE driving it when I feel spirited.

Is it true these cars actually are faster with the auto? or is that some hype? it makes me curious because GM markets it as that, but on the nurburgring, they took out a manual, and obviously this transmission doesn't even come as an option in the new Z28, which says perhaps not? I need to do more research on this matter.
You will find mentioned in the forum that auto's are faster on straights, and standards are better at the curves
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
11Bravo,

FWIW-
I was in an VERY similar situation as you. So much so, it's scary. Bottom line up front, I decided on the ZL1.

I had an 03Z and the wife wants kids. She also complained constantly about the Vette. We decided to sell this:

Loved my Z but absolutely hated listening to the wife complain. I actually contemplated buying a C6Z, but would have been more of the same bitching. No thanks.
And I bought this:

Found the gas mileage absolutely atrocious. Quick truck, but we never drove it because it was that bad in MPG. I bought it with 18k miles and sold it a year later with 24k miles.
Finially picked this up earlier this month and COULD NOT be more happy with my decision. I seriously don't think I can put into words how awesome this thing is. Wife loves it and it has a backseat. Went 12.4 2 weeks a go with an M6, stock tires and a a $300 roto fab intake. We just came back from an 1800 miles round trip for thanksgiving where the wife didn't have a single bad thing to say. I got at least 2 "bad ass car, man" at every gas station I stopped at. GO FOR the ZL1!
You must be my twin, that's the same color combo I'm looking at LOL

Perhaps it wasn't an SRT-8 Jeep, but I did have a jeep before the Z. lol

Did you ever consider the CTS-V (coupe or sedan)?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
You will find mentioned in the forum that auto's are faster on straights, and standards are better at the curves
That's what I'm reading. looks like they put alot of effort to make this auto a special automatic... I don't really track the car in the curves, so I might actually settle for that auto maybe. depending on what I run into. (I won't filter it out)

I found this article here that talks about the auto. Looks like there are many modes you can utilize the auto.

something I realized is the gearing though. it's geared lower than the manual, but the rear is 3.73 (m6) vs 3.23 (a6) which (without math) equals things out I guess?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Have you looked at the 1LE? Brand new, it would fit your budget.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #28
11B250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Have you looked at the 1LE? Brand new, it would fit your budget.
I did, and after the ZL1, I got spoiled. I'd rather get a slightly used '13 than a new 1LE

What's the tq converter's stall speed? there are some great 60 times for automatics with stock converters!