Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #71
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange

Numbers
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #72
klandry

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Black Bandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
For me the choice was easy - Granatelli Twin Turbo - it is all you will ever need - no headers - no drama - just an easy simple 550hp or you can turn it up to 1200

Ok cool, but are these turbo's reliable as in longevity? Will I have to replace them in the near future? I do not have much experance with turbo's so I do not know what the deal is as in maintenance and so forth? Also how much was it for the complete install on your twin turbo system from Granatelli?

Last edited by klandry; 06-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #73
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Isnt it true that with a turbo on a stock engine I have to worry more about the internals than I would with a maggie?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #74
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by klandry View Post
Ok cool, but are these turbo's reliable as in longevity? Will I have to replace them in the near future? I do not have much experance with turbo's so I do not know what the deal is as in maintenance and so forth? Also how much was it for the complete install on your twin turbo system from Granatelli?
The turbo will last an easy 100k miles. They are maintainance free. The get lubrication from the engine oil as well so every oil change is an oil change for the blower too

You will not have to replace the turbos - I am sure of it

We get $1100 foir an install or $1600 for install with custom tune on the camaro. However you can do the install yourself with relative ease
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #75
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Isnt it true that with a turbo on a stock engine I have to worry more about the internals than I would with a maggie?
NO - that is not true at all. Lets say you wanted to limit the rwhp to 550. You could do that with a turbo with less boost and less stres on the crank. That is not to say the Maggie stresses the crank either but there is load created by the Maggie that you would not have with a turbo set up
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #76
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I have an L99 with a CAI intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT catted (and coated) headers, a Borla Touring exhaust, and a dynotune. I was a bit disappointed with the results on the dyno of 362 rwhp with these mods. The car is faster than stock (and sounds WAY better), but I want more. I thought the headers would give me more with the tune.

So, I'm looking at getting either a Maggie or a turbocharger. I am a bit leary of adding a cam because I've heard they are very tricky on an automatic.

I don't plan to race my car - except for perhaps a fun day at the track, but no serious racing. But, I do want the best and baddest street machine I can get. It is very important to me that my car be absolutely reliable and drivable on the street, but I want my car to be very quick. I really love driving my Camaro and I don't want to do anything to ruin that. - some folks have commented that a cam can sometimes harm drivability.

After reading this thread, it sounds like the Maggie is more what I' should be considering, but others have mentioned that a turbocharger might be better. I'm just doing my homework before I jump in.

Is it reasonable that I could get 500 rwhp by adding a Maggie to my L99?

The other advantage of a Maggie is I think they just look great. - I know, that's shallow, but a lot of the mods on my car have been cosmetic. I am looking into buying a hood with a plexiglass window on it to show off the engine. A chrome Maggie would look sweet!

Any comments as to what you folks would recommend for my car would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #77
klandry

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Black Bandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
The turbo will last an easy 100k miles. They are maintainance free. The get lubrication from the engine oil as well so every oil change is an oil change for the blower too

You will not have to replace the turbos - I am sure of it

We get $1100 foir an install or $1600 for install with custom tune on the camaro. However you can do the install yourself with relative ease
Nice, thanks for the information !!!! Looks like I will be going turbo speed then! Wish your shop was closer to Texas then in Cali.
klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #78
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I have an L99 with a CAI intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT catted (and coated) headers, a Borla Touring exhaust, and a dynotune. I was a bit disappointed with the results on the dyno of 362 rwhp with these mods. The car is faster than stock (and sounds WAY better), but I want more. I thought the headers would give me more with the tune.

So, I'm looking at getting either a Maggie or a turbocharger. I am a bit leary of adding a cam because I've heard they are very tricky on an automatic.

I don't plan to race my car - except for perhaps a fun day at the track, but no serious racing. But, I do want the best and baddest street machine I can get. It is very important to me that my car be absolutely reliable and drivable on the street, but I want my car to be very quick. I really love driving my Camaro and I don't want to do anything to ruin that. - some folks have commented that a cam can sometimes harm drivability.

After reading this thread, it sounds like the Maggie is more what I' should be considering, but others have mentioned that a turbocharger might be better. I'm just doing my homework before I jump in.

The other advantage of a Maggie is I think they just look great. - I know, that's shallow, but a lot of the mods on my car have been cosmetic. I am looking into buying a hood with a plexiglass window on it to show off the engine. A chrome Maggie would look sweet!

Any comments as to what you folks would recommend for my car would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Darth, you may also be interested in our HTV1900 supercharger fro Harrop. We currently have a FREE install special going on, check it out in the vendor sale section.

Ed
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #79
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

Considering LS3s are getting right near 500 RWHP on an otherwise totally stock car, with the OEM airbox too, I think you'd get there pretty easily, or dang near close, with a conservative tune. LS3 cars, with your similar mods', are averaging (from what I've noticed) from 510-530+ RWHP; add a CAI and you'll probably get past 500 to the tire pretty easily with a custom tune; I don't believe the canned Maggy tune accounts for full exhaust, like you have, and a CAI. I'm pretty sure you'd get to 500 pretty easily at about 6-7 psi.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #80
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister HP View Post
Darth, you may also be interested in our HTV1900 supercharger fro Harrop. We currently have a FREE install special going on, check it out in the vendor sale section.

Ed
Darth, that would look sweet sitting in your CGM!!

Harrop

Side covers are sharp too!
SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #81
BlessedChef10
BLESSEDCHEF10

Drives: 2010 2lt camaro rs
Now if only there was a SC for the v6....
BlessedChef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #82
BlessedChef10
BLESSEDCHEF10

Drives: 2010 2lt camaro rs
And here come the crickets and tumbleweeds.....
BlessedChef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #83
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:

So, I'm looking at getting either a Maggie or a turbocharger. I am a bit leery of adding a cam because I've heard they are very tricky on an automatic.

I don't plan to race my car - except for perhaps a fun day at the track, but no serious racing. But, I do want the best and baddest street machine I can get. It is very important to me that my car be absolutely reliable and drivable on the street, but I want my car to be very quick. I really love driving my Camaro and I don't want to do anything to ruin that. - Some folks have commented that a cam can sometimes harm drivability.

500 with the Magnuson is a non issue even with the auto trans and I don't see why you would need a cam change. I agree the chrome Maggie smack in the center of the hood looks great. - We are happy to sell you a system as well

Likewise, you already know about our turbo system as well. 500 with the turbo is even easier - Here is an auto trans dyno sheet at low boost. Stock fuel pump with BAP

Last edited by Granatelli; 06-30-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #84
bob2010ss

Drives: Turbocharged 2010 GLOSSY NARDO GREY
JR great insightful post

i am in toronto Canada area

in the past i have owned 2 87 grand nationals

so i like the turbo feel and sound

now i have a 2010 ss2 6 spd manual

i was leaning to a procharger system through the advise of a friend who works with them on many applications

i have a cousin who has an 80 vette 350ci stroked out to 383
heads done, cam

he installed an sts turbo system
8 lbs of boost he ran 10.91 with 1.72 short time on street tires

car squats hooks and goes

after reading all this i will look into turbo set up for mine

it is a daily driver...bone stock but is getting lowered 1inch with eibach springs and maybe an axle back borla s system just for extra growl

what do you recommend

gas is always 91 from shell but 94 from sunoco is also available

thanks

BOB
bob2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote