Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #197
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Reading through this and other ZL1, 1LE, Z/28 and yes even GT500 and Boss threads I am impressed with how many, like me, were brought back to American performance cars from German ones. Here's hoping cars like these never go away again.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #198
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
When they brought back the Camaro in 2010, they did such a perfect and fantastic job it seemed there would be no room for improvement. They nailed it with this new Camaro and I personally could not imagine them doing it better or different.

I think the refresh may have come to soon because folks are still enjoying the previous models way to much. I don't dislike the refresh, it's not an improvement to me, it's just different.

There ain't nothing wrong with the current model. Nothing thing at all.
Since the Camaro returned in early 2009 hasn't the Mustang enjoyed 3 refreshes? I believe For the first two 1/2 years Camaro outsold the Mustang every month, but last year several months the Mustang out sold the Camaro. Overall the Camaro barely beat the Mustang in sales last year indicating that it was time for a refresh. Whether you like it or don't like it if you never change the product people will get bored with it and sales will decline. It was time to do something and they did do something... Some just don't like what they did.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #199
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Wait! You still have a blackberry?!
now thats funny!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #200
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Scott, thank you for taking the time to post all of that info.

I still do not like the appearance of the rear but will withhold judjement until I see it in person.

After reading your post I do have a better understanding and appreciation for the decisions that were made regarding the "refresh".

The Z/28 is badass, period, congratulations and thank you for helping to make the 5th gen Camaro what it is, incredible!!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #201
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
i wonder whats gonna happen for the 2013 1/2
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #202
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Wise and Esteemed One View Post
The word you use. "Suck"

I'm not sure that everyone on this site knows what that means, but if you would like to demonstrate it, perhaps someone would watch.
I see by location under your avatar you live in Oz. So I am guessing you are a 15 or 16 year old girl named Dorothy. So would tell you to have patience sweetie because some day I'm sure you'll find out what it is.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #203
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
I was one of those guys utterly disgusted by the taillights. The Rs taillights aren't looking as bad as they initially looked and i'm curious what it looks like as a black vert and in person

However when i saw the vette tail lights it looked like a home run to me

and i understand nobody likes to hear criticicism but it comes with the territory when your work or art is up for public consumption and widely viewed

ultimately the sales will tell the story and by the time the next platform rolls around the refresh will be a memory only and people will be excited about the new car...but it won't be like the c5 because we anticipated that vehicle for almost 5 years from the date the concept was shown...this time the c6 will be secretly guarded and shown maybe a few months before release because now they have actual Camaros being sold
Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #204
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Here is one of the polls on this site that's telling you how the people here feel about the new change's. Do you not find this alarming with this kind of negative feedback from the enthusiasts?
Attachment 491683

If this were 6 months into the 2014 Model year, I'd certainly be concerned.

However, I'd venture to say that 99 percent of the people who have voted on that poll have not seen the car in person. That's crucial.

I can assure you that every time we change something on the Camaro, we usually get a negative reaction: -- initially. That was frankly one of the main reasons for me starting this post in the first place. I tried to use a bit of 'humor' -- but if you go back to the very early days of Camaro5 -- and then go to the dates when we made changes - you'll find the same type of reaction.

The point: No matter what we do to change a car - some will love it - and others will hate it. It's OK to feel either way. What I simply ask people to do is to remain 'polite' -- I (and the rest of the team) DO want to hear your thoughts.

If you say "...this car ####s! It looks like ####! You're a bunch of XXXXXs!" - we're going to take your remarks with a grain of salt and dismiss. And we have the right to. On the other hand, if you say "...I don't like the taillamps. I think they should have been round and had black trim because that's the history of the early 2nd gens"....we're going to listen to you -- because it's a reasonable post and you're giving us details on why you don't care for the change.

So - the point: we DO want to hear your thoughts - but I'm also asking you to look at the car from all angles in person before you make your final declaration. I suspect that in 6 months, there will be another 'panic-du-Jour!"

(and the poll isn't exactly written to tell us much other than 'yes' or 'no' -- and that's really not adequate...)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #205
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
I drive a first batch of UGLY steering wheel
It's the same one as the cruze.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #206
solidratt

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Send a message via Yahoo to solidratt
Mr. Fbodfather
Thanks for the insight, this makes me smile.
solidratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #207
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Scott, thank you for your thoughts and background on Camaro program. I'm not a person to debate aesthetics; as we can see from the variety of responses, aesthetics are largely subjective. As is naming or badging--I really don't care what you call a car as long as it performs.

That brings me to my input. In 2011 I really wanted to buy a Camaro but the SS just didn't offer the level of performance I desired. I ended up buying a Grand Sport. At the time, I wrote an open letter on this forum to your team. I asked for a lighter weight, more performance-oriented Camaro (I think I even mentioned the 1LE option). Even though I had bought a Corvette, I am a muscle car guy at heart. I've owned more f-bodies (both brands) than I can count since age 18, and with the release of the 1LE, I came back into the fold.

What I wrote in my letter was somewhat answered with the 1LE, but not completely. Unfortunately I feel the Z/28 won't be the answer either. The number one reason will mostly likely be price. I know it hasn't been released yet, but all indications are that it will be the "most expensive Camaro". A secondary reason is the LS7 will most likely bump the Z/28 out of the stock grassroots racing categories that the Camaro used to excel in.

I'm still asking for the same car I did back in 2011. Please give us a performance-oriented package for the SS that is within the grasp of us regular enthusiasts. I laid the foundations of my grassroots racing history in the late 90's early 00's. The 1LE Camaro dominated the F-stock autox class and showroom stock amateur racing. I would love to have a car like that which would dethrone the Mustangs once again.

I ask for a 1LE (or call it as you wish) that has all the weight-savings that you put into the Z/28. Give us an option (doesn't have to be standard, I'll pay extra if needed) for the 19" wheels so I can buy competitive DOT racing tires to compete in stock classes (for those that say "well just buy some 19's" don't understand the rules of stock racing as a 19" wheel must be an available option to compete with 19" wheels on the car, and there are no good 20" competitive race tire options). Give me a radio delete option (or the single speaker option) and optional air conditioning just like the original 1LE's had. A thinner back window should only save on costs I would guess. I don't see how this could be costly to the production of the Camaro line and would give racers an option to be competitive with the Camaro. I don't need the LS7 or ceramic brakes--although I'd love to have them, as you mentioned in your posts, those options cost money.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate the enthusiasm you have for this car. I researched Mustangs (almost bought a Boss 302) for quite a while and NEVER saw any of the Mustang development team posting on their sites!
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #208
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
If this were 6 months into the 2014 Model year, I'd certainly be concerned.

However, I'd venture to say that 99 percent of the people who have voted on that poll have not seen the car in person. That's crucial.

I can assure you that every time we change something on the Camaro, we usually get a negative reaction: -- initially. That was frankly one of the main reasons for me starting this post in the first place. I tried to use a bit of 'humor' -- but if you go back to the very early days of Camaro5 -- and then go to the dates when we made changes - you'll find the same type of reaction.

The point: No matter what we do to change a car - some will love it - and others will hate it. It's OK to feel either way. What I simply ask people to do is to remain 'polite' -- I (and the rest of the team) DO want to hear your thoughts.

If you say "...this car ####s! It looks like ####! You're a bunch of XXXXXs!" - we're going to take your remarks with a grain of salt and dismiss. And we have the right to. On the other hand, if you say "...I don't like the taillamps. I think they should have been round and had black trim because that's the history of the early 2nd gens"....we're going to listen to you -- because it's a reasonable post and you're giving us details on why you don't care for the change.

So - the point: we DO want to hear your thoughts - but I'm also asking you to look at the car from all angles in person before you make your final declaration. I suspect that in 6 months, there will be another 'panic-du-Jour!"

(and the poll isn't exactly written to tell us much other than 'yes' or 'no' -- and that's really not adequate...)
1) All of the things that you speak of just come with the territory in engineering. You really do have to have thick skin, and remind yourself that some people just suck and should be ignored. When people complain about my designs, I have to remind myself that the only option a person has when they can't do the engineering themselves is to complain. Too much complaining... and I stop listening. I certainly hope you weren't rubbed too hard the wrong way. Thanks for sticking around.

2) I haven't seen a single complaint about a non-cosmetic part of the new Z/28 (besides price maybe). There is just nothing you can do about the aesthetics... like you said. Some will hate it, some will love it. No matter what... every time. You can't win. With that said... cosmetics are very easy to change should the end user feel so inclined.

I didn't like all of the emblems on my 2012. Big deal. I took them off in 20 minutes. My father in-law LOVES emblems. He went out and actually bought more of them to stick on there. To each their own.

This is my first post on the Z/28 topic. I feel for you.

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #209
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Scott, it's a great time to be a car guy and especially a Chevy lover! I grew up in the 60s and 70's in Michigan. My father was an engineer for Chevrolet all his life I can remember all his muscle cars and PEP cars he would bring up from work and sometimes if I was lucky he would pick me up at school. I have had a number of Camaros myself both Z28 and Z/28, I can tell you they were all awesome cars! Currently I have a 2011 RS and my 16 year old son has his first Camaro a 1999 LS. Thank you to you and your team for providing three generations of "Car Guys" such an awesome car! I see many more in all of our futures! Keep up the good work!
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #210

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'm glad the car is basically designed by true GM enthusiasts and engineers, and not by internet wanna-bes whose only expertise goes as far as how tail-lamps look, or how come I don't have enough money to buy one...I certainly hope GM knows what or who they are dealing with when it comes to "who they listen to"...

GM makes the best car ever for the track...One car that is not loaded with creature comforts, is different from what we are all familiar with, and all hell breaks loose...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote