Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #57
D3ADLYforce
Louder cars quieter guns!

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS M6
Ok, when I initially decided to tune my 2010 SS with the 91 Octane Diablo tune, everything I found indicated I could simply reset my vehicle to the original tune when I needed dealership work done. Now, after seeing this post I'm sick. My question is, how common are these oil pump failures??? I'm afraid to drive my damn car now! From what I've seen so far, these failures seem to make up only a small percentage of Camaro owners!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #58
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I think it's a small amount. I hated seeing this thread after having mine tuned as well but more than likely you'll be okay. It's to late to turn back now and no need to worry about something that hasn't even happened yet. I've heard the Diablo tune is pretty conservitive so I wouldn't worry to much.

I've decided not to dwell on what's been done already. If I had seen this before my tune I might have thought twice about it but what's done is done. Just enjoy your car and try not to think about the tune.

If you ever get a cam installed then you can think about upgrading your oil pump.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #59
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
I don't see any verbiage in this bulletin that states " GM's had a very clear stance on aftermarket tunes and has stated that if there is a tune, the warranty on the engine is voided" Where is that statement, or anything even close to this statement, in the bulletin?
You will not find the legal statements regarding the warranty in any TSB. It's not the appropriate place for them - mechanics are not lawyers. If you think for a second that you can talk your way around what GM corporate lawyers have framed out for warranty denials, you're simply in denial.

People can argue their positions over what causes a failure but in legal terms, that isn't what GM cares about at all. They have a very clear position. If you change the tune, the warranty is void no matter if bird shit or a strong wind caused the issue you're having.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #60
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrollinc View Post
Well the oil pump on my 2011 SS decided to blow up. No warning or anything. Engine is gone. Everyone at Classic Chevy in Grapevine has been great. Unfortunately engine had a tune because of the long tubes. So I'm afraid repair won't be covered under warranty. Hoping I can work something out with Classic and GM. Great way to start my Memorial day weekend
Are you serious? WOW -. How did it blow?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #61
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I would sure like to know know how a tune could in anyway be related to a oil pump failure....especially with it being a known issue. Grrrrr......
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #62
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I would sure like to know know how a tune could in anyway be related to a oil pump failure....especially with it being a known issue. Grrrrr......
That's not the point. GM has taken a legal position to protect themselves. Does it blow for the consumer? Yes. Is the tune responsible for an oil pump failure? 99% chance that it is not at all responsible for the failure.

At the end of the day, GM is well protected and the consumer must operate within the framework of the warranty agreement. What is the saying that many use around here? If you play, you pay.

TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote