Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
SlowPokeSS

Drives: 2010 1SS M6 w/Flowmaster Cat Back
A Couple Of Questions

Im new the the ls platform but love my 2010 SS M6. Ive always had lt1 cars then moved to Harleys and now im back. Ive tried to use the search feature to answer my questions but hey I guess it time to asj the rookie questions.

1- Why is it that not to many of you guys change the rear end gearing. Back with my lt1 I would much rather had a cat back and a 4.10 than a set of long tubes and a tune. I know there a different animal thats why I asked!

2- I seen Apex had the ring and pinion for under 300 any idea of an estimate what that runs to have installed?

3- Im running a 3in flowmaster catback currently if I go with a set of long tubes will it throw a check engine light?

4- last question I have a dyno tuner fairly local I know a dynois better than a handheld tuner but how much better? We talking 3 hp or 30??
SlowPokeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokeSS View Post
Im new the the ls platform but love my 2010 SS M6. Ive always had lt1 cars then moved to Harleys and now im back. Ive tried to use the search feature to answer my questions but hey I guess it time to asj the rookie questions.

1- Why is it that not to many of you guys change the rear end gearing. Back with my lt1 I would much rather had a cat back and a 4.10 than a set of long tubes and a tune. I know there a different animal thats why I asked!

2- I seen Apex had the ring and pinion for under 300 any idea of an estimate what that runs to have installed?

3- Im running a 3in flowmaster catback currently if I go with a set of long tubes will it throw a check engine light?

4- last question I have a dyno tuner fairly local I know a dynois better than a handheld tuner but how much better? We talking 3 hp or 30??
3. Lts will throw a code, because the readings will be out of the thresholds for the O2 sensors, wont effect the car, but will have a check engine light.

4. Big tuning gains are to be had from a dyno tune on these cars for VVT, AFM, and the Auto trans. NONE of which you have. So a handheld tuner wont be that far off from a dyno tune on an LS3.

Granted you want a GOOD mail order tune from Janetty or Rhino79 or some other reputable C5 vendor, someone who is familiar with the 5th gen. But if you are looking to save some cash, just do mailorder/handheld.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
SlowPokeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
3. Lts will throw a code, because the readings will be out of the thresholds for the O2 sensors, wont effect the car, but will have a check engine light.

4. Big tuning gains are to be had from a dyno tune on these cars for VVT, AFM, and the Auto trans. NONE of which you have. So a handheld tuner wont be that far off from a dyno tune on an LS3.

Granted you want a GOOD mail order tune from Janetty or Rhino79 or some other reputable C5 vendor, someone who is familiar with the 5th gen. But if you are looking to save some cash, just do mailorder/handheld.
Thanks for answering my questions and just checked out the pics of your car and you did a KILLER job congratulations on the awesome ride!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:

1 - Gears don't make horsepower, engine mods do. Notwithstanding, gears make the car feel quicker due to the torque benefit the gears provide. Many DO change up to 3.91 gears.
2 - A good install will run you about $500, on average.
3 - Yes, more often than not. Some have had luck with the Kooks "green" high-flow cats not throwing a code, and some have had some luck using bung extenders (the latter is NOT recommended; it will skew your air/fuel ratio and affect performance)
4 - As stated before, a quality mail-order tune from JRE or many of the other fine tuners on C5 can be equivalent to a dyno tune, in many cases. In the long run, that method can save you cash for future mods.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
SlowPokeSS

Thanks for the info..and I completely understand that gears don't make hp but is it not a better performance mod? Just a guess and I would love to have some 1/4 slips to prove or disprove my theory but im betting a stock gen 5 ss with a cai, tune, and 4.10 would be a little faster through a 1/4 than a stock gen 5 ss with a cai, tune, and headers!?!?! But ive been wrong before!!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Thanks for the info..and I completely understand that gears don't make hp but is it not a better performance mod? Just a guess and I would love to have some 1/4 slips to prove or disprove my theory but im betting a stock gen 5 ss with a cai, tune, and 4.10 would be a little faster through a 1/4 than a stock gen 5 ss with a cai, tune, and headers!?!?! But ive been wrong before!!
You could see a better ET at the dragstrip, depending on your setup. You have to consider traction. If you're increasing torque to the wheels, you need to take steps to improve your launch traction.

Engine: a cammed engine makes more power at the higher RPM range. Gears can help a lot with that, as they get your engine to that range faster, and when you shift, keep it in that optimum range.

That said, you need supporting components to complement the gears if you want a quicker ET.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
SlowPokeSS

Yes sir agreed best approach is to just do everything you can afford hahaha. I plan on doing cam, gears, headers, and tune within the next year. Guess im really just trying to figure out which mod is more fun for me because I got enough cash on hand to either do headers or gears but not both untill I save a little.