Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
6 speed whine?

My 11 SS/RS just hit 18,000 miles and I am beginning to hear a whine as I go through the gears anyone else have this issue?
Also noticed if I keep a little presure on the shifter it become a bit louder.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
My 11 SS/RS just hit 18,000 miles and I am beginning to hear a whine as I go through the gears anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
I apologize for the concern you may be experiencing. If you could please send me any more details on this, I can do some research. However, what may be best is for a proper diagnosis by your dealership's service department. Please let me know if this is an option for you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Yes, on occasion I will get a whine.........rear end whine actually. Had it in 2 GTO's and the Camaro. I wouid say normal.....but others will say not. If you have a concern, take it to your dealer.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Sometimes, a manual trans can be noisy. I suspect that some sound-deadening has fallen off or similar. Hopefully, it's that easy to fix
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
PhillyC

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post

Thanks
Yep. I have an '11 SS/RS 6M and it's got 18,600 miles on it and I have the exact same whine. I notice it most in 1/2/3 gears and only slightly in 4/5/6. For me it's related to the AC. I was driving in 2 gear and it was whining rather loudly, and my AC was on. I wanted to hear the noise better so I could describe it to my Chevy Service (it's going in on Friday) so I turned the AC/fans off and whine vanished. Turned back on...whine comes back. Turned off...whine goes away. So whatever it is it's related to the AC. I live where it's routinely 90 - 100°F so running without AC is not an option.

I had tranny problems in the past right after I purchased the vehicle and they already repaired sychros in 1st and 2nd gear. Also noticing the same notchiness and sluggishness in 1st and 2nd that I took in for before. My acceleration is really sluggish right now. Hesitates bad in 1st and 2nd gear. Definitely not right.

Pretty bummed as I love this car.:( But it's approaching it's 1st birthday and it's having these problems. Reliability was my main concern with purchasing a GM product. My last couple cars were Toyota and Acura and I've driven them trouble free for years. Hell my 2002 Avalon, which I gave to my daughter, has 220,000 miles on it and it just now is needing to go in for it's first repair. My Camaro has 18,000 miles and it's already been in the shop once and I fear it's going back in for the same issue. :(
PhillyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post
Yep. I have an '11 SS/RS 6M and it's got 18,600 miles on it and I have the exact same whine. I notice it most in 1/2/3 gears and only slightly in 4/5/6. For me it's related to the AC. I was driving in 2 gear and it was whining rather loudly, and my AC was on. I wanted to hear the noise better so I could describe it to my Chevy Service (it's going in on Friday) so I turned the AC/fans off and whine vanished. Turned back on...whine comes back. Turned off...whine goes away. So whatever it is it's related to the AC. I live where it's routinely 90 - 100°F so running without AC is not an option.

I had tranny problems in the past right after I purchased the vehicle and they already repaired sychros in 1st and 2nd gear. Also noticing the same notchiness and sluggishness in 1st and 2nd that I took in for before. My acceleration is really sluggish right now. Hesitates bad in 1st and 2nd gear. Definitely not right.

Pretty bummed as I love this car.:( But it's approaching it's 1st birthday and it's having these problems. Reliability was my main concern with purchasing a GM product. My last couple cars were Toyota and Acura and I've driven them trouble free for years. Hell my 2002 Avalon, which I gave to my daughter, has 220,000 miles on it and it just now is needing to go in for it's first repair. My Camaro has 18,000 miles and it's already been in the shop once and I fear it's going back in for the same issue. :(
I apologize for the inconvenience you may be experiencing with your Camaro. Rest assure that your Camaro should have a bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years/ 36,000 miles whichever comes first from the date of delivery. Please let us know how your service appointment went today at your convenience!

Good Luck!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service