Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
When to tune

So tuning seems to cost a pretty penny unless you have the equipment yourself. When should a tune be done to prevent damage to the engine? After every mod like a CAI, LT header? Exhaust? Throttle Body? I hear conflicting stories that some Mods don't require a tune while others say all changes to fuel or air ratios require a tune or the engine can become damaged.

Just want some clarity here

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Do it all @ once if you can. Any FI you will need a tune also.
What mods are you going to do first?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
So tuning seems to cost a pretty penny unless you have the equipment yourself. When should a tune be done to prevent damage to the engine? After every mod like a CAI, LT header? Exhaust? Throttle Body? I hear conflicting stories that some Mods don't require a tune while others say all changes to fuel or air ratios require a tune or the engine can become damaged.

Just want some clarity here
I know your asking for clarity but I'm a noob when it comes to moding muscle myself. Figured I'd post just to help confirm my research rather than start another thread....

From what I've read it seems you can do CAI, HF Cats & Ported Throttle Body without a tune. It shouldn't cause any harm. Once you move beyond that (LT Headers, CAM, ...) a tune is needed.

I know you can do just CATS but not sure about the full exhaust, just a cat-back/muffler delete I'd think no tune. Full replacement I'd think tune...

Again for not really answering. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will chime in...
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
It depends what your ultimate goal is. You can tune out things like skip shift, air to fuel ratio (premium 93 tuning), and maximize the extra air with a Cold Air Intake, or to accommodate freer flow from a performance exhaust paired with an intake. Any engine work (ls3 conversion, cam, upgraded injectors) will need tune to run correctly. Headers need a tune because they usually throw a code (mainly because moving the O2 that far will make your computer start running lean, much more efficient exhaust release) will require one too, but might run ok without. Hope that helps. My tuner does things progressively. $400 base and then usually charges a much lower rate to retune the same car again, because he has a file for that ECU already.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
omgitsmikeyC

Muffler delete or cat back do not require a tune at all.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

My ultimate goal is to add some Mods like CAI, high flow cats and maybe some noweeds electric units if it makes sense to do so. Honestly this is my first car that I will be modding and not sure what everything means or how it interacts with other mods 100%. For example, what is a cat-back lol. I know that the system from factory is restrictive with air flow and adding LT headers (mod wanting as well but not right away) and high flow cats will help. Things like the noweeds, will that eliminate the need for High flow cats?

I have heard that modding air flow and fuel ratios will have a detrimental impact on the engine if not tuned. Is this a old wives tale? Or solely limited to older vehicles? I'm wondering why I would hear things like this but on many products it says no tune required while some other versions say a tune IS required.

Is there definitive proof that not tuning will not harm the engine for certain mods?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
omgitsmikeyC

Cat back systems are catalytic converter back systems that do not change the way exhaust gasses are converted into better for the ozone levels. They only change the sound, and for the Camaro save weight from factory mufflers. They may free up > 5 hp. High flow catalytic converters make better flow of exhaust emissions out, as do headers. The cats and headers change the emissions system conversion and often can cause you to fail emissions testing as a "dirty emissions" vehicle.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
My ultimate goal is to add some Mods like CAI, high flow cats and maybe some noweeds electric units if it makes sense to do so.
You would not require a tune for those.

Do some more reading and you will find out a lot about these cars. Look up how a engine works and just go from there.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the only time you need to tune is if adding long tube headers, a cam, or heads. some people dont tune after headers but you won't be running optimally.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2disturbedSS View Post
You would not require a tune for those.

Do some more reading and you will find out a lot about these cars. Look up how a engine works and just go from there.
Thanks for the help. I have an general understanding of how the engines work I just wanted a little more clarity on when to tune and some mod advice. Do you suggest a particular thing to read that would help with my MOD decisions?