Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
LLT vs LFX

What are the major differences design wise. I heard that the LLT has the same power but was never officially tested, with a particular test, before release so they couldnt claim the 323hp or something. Is this true? What can be done to add the most torque to the LLT? Arent the manifolds welded on the LFX but not the LLT, this si why you can add LT headers to the LLT?

I want to learn more about my car but piece mealing info hear and there isnt helping. Does anyone recommend a book or site i can read and just learn a sh*t load of everything?

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
So, the LLT was in the Cadillac before it was in the Camaro. It had an official rating of 305 HP in that platform. GM just used those numbers until it could get re-certified with the configuration used in the Camaro. That re-certification was for 312 HP, and all the LLT Camaros had 312 from the beginning.

The LFX had 323 from the beginning. The exhaust manifolds are not welded on, they are integrated into the heads like some Lotus, Honda and other engines.

Some of the other differences between the LLT and LFX are:

LFX has a different, higher volume High-Pressure Fuel pump
LFX uses a Delphi ECU instead of a Bosch
LFX has a composite intake manifold instead of aluminum
LFX has a 1-bar MAP sensor, the LLT doesn't have one
LFX has a different Crank
The part number for the MAF appears to be different, but I'm not sure if are scaled differently
It appears they have different cams, but I'm not sure if the specs are different; it could just be the fitment.

Those are all the engine differences I can think of right now.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Thank you and do you know of a place or book I can go or get that will allow me to learn more about MY Camaro the 2010 2LT? What the best mechanics book to get so I can reference it when I am doing work. I try to search online for the mechanics book and get routed around an endless path or garbage lol

Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Thank you and do you know of a place or book I can go or get that will allow me to learn more about MY Camaro the 2010 2LT? What the best mechanics book to get so I can reference it when I am doing work. I try to search online for the mechanics book and get routed around an endless path or garbage lol
I have not found one yet. I usually just do a Google search when I'm trying to find it. Most of the time is ends up linking something on Camaro5.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Thanks and ive noticed that

Old 06-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Some other random facts...

According to GM Powertrain here are a few other differences:

Compression ratio:
LLT: 11.3:1
LFX: 11.5:1

Max Engine RPM:
LLT: 6700
LFX: 7200

Weight:
LLT: 361lbs
LFX: 348lbs

I believe the LFX has bigger valves in the heads also, but can't recall sizes of either engine off the top of my head.

Not sure about the MAF scaling, but physically they are different in shape, and the electrical connection is not the same.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Yeah, IIRC the intake valves are about 1.4mm larger on the LFX.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

NJBourne23, you should start editing your first post and keep two lists. One of confirmed differences and another of rumored differences. Who knows, it might get stickied.

Sent from my Samsung via Tapatalk.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I saw this a few days back:

Not all of these are specific ONLY to the LFX, and some (like E85) are not supported in the Camaro, but are in other GM vehicles with the LFX.

Quote:
The 3.6 liter V6 LFX engine is GM’s new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected six-cylinder engine (code LLT). The LFX is lighter and more powerful than the LLT it replaces, featuring:

-New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
-Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
-Longer-duration intake camshafts
-Composite intake manifold
-New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
-New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
-Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
-Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
-Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements
-E85 ethanol capability

The improvements to this engine further refine an already well-balanced powerplant. The engine now uses new, lighter-weight components and enhancements designed to improve performance, efficiency, and durability.

Engine highlights include:
Aluminum Engine Block & Integral Oil Pan: the 3.6L V6 VVT’s engine block is cast from A319 aluminum alloy. This aluminum-intensive construction means less weight and greater efficiency than conventional cast-iron engines – and less weight translates to improved vehicle fuel economy. The sand-mold-cast block features strong cast-in iron bore liners, six-bolt main caps, and inter-bay breather vents. A cast aluminum oil pan is stiffened to improve powertrain rigidity and reduce vehicle vibration.

Rotating Assembly with Oil-Spray Cooled Pistons: the crankshaft is manufactured from forged steel, while the connecting rods are made of powdered metal that features a higher ratio of copper, which makes them stronger and enables them to be lighter. The V6 VVT engine family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. The jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without reducing long-term durability.

Integrated Cylinder Heads/Exhaust Manifolds: the LFX’s new cylinder head design has a revised intake port design that enhances airflow to the combustion chambers. Larger-diameter intake valves are used in the heads and work in conjunction with new, longer-duration intake camshafts to provide the engine’s boost in horsepower. By using larger valves and holding them open longer, more of the air is pulled into the combustion chamber, for a more powerful combustion. The exhaust manifold is incorporated with the cylinder head, which saves weight, reduces complexity and helps promote a quicker light off of the catalytic converter, which further helps reduce emissions.
Direct Injection: direct injection moves the point where fuel feeds into an engine closer to the point where it ignites, enabling greater combustion efficiency. It fosters a more complete burn of the fuel in the air-fuel mixture, and it operates at a lower temperature than conventional port injection. That allows the mixture to be leaner (less fuel and more air), so less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional, port injection fuel system. Direct injection also delivers reduced emissions, particularly cold-start emissions, which are cut by about 25 percent.

E85 Flex-Fuel Capability: E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gas emissions in the combustion process. It can be produced from various feed stocks, including corn and wheat stalks, forestry and agricultural waste and even municipal waste.

Dual Overhead Cams with Four Valves per Cylinder & Silent Cam Drive: four-valves-per-cylinder with inverted-tooth chain cam drive contributes to the smoothness and high output of the LFX. The engine incorporates a timing chain with an inverted tooth design. These smaller links engage at a lower impact speed, which decreases the noise generated. In conjunction with the smaller pitch chain, the number of teeth on the sprockets are increased, which increases the meshing frequency and further reduces noise and vibration. Four valves per cylinder and a silent chain valvetrain contribute to both smoothness and high output. Four-cam phasing changes the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary.

Variable Valve Timing: variable valve timing (VVT), or cam phasing, helps the LFX deliver optimal performance and efficiency, and reduced emissions. It allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response, or driveability. The system changes valve timing on the fly, maximizing engine performance for a variety of operating conditions. At idle, for example, the cam is at the full advanced position, enabling exceptionally smooth idle quality. Under other operating demands, cam phasing adjusts to deliver optimal valve timing for performance, driveability and fuel economy. At high rpm it might retard timing to maximize airflow through the engine and increase horsepower. At low rpm it can advance timing to increase torque. Under light-load driving it can retard timing at all engine speeds to improve fuel economy.

Composite Intake Manifold and Fully Isolated Composite Camshaft Covers: the upper intake manifold for the LFX is made from composite material and provides mass savings over an aluminum manifold, with a carefully designed structure that helps ensure quiet engine operation. The surfaces on the cam covers are shaped to limit the broadcasting of undesirable noise, and the covers use isolating perimeter gaskets, as well as isolating radial lips around the tubes that accommodate the spark plugs. These effectively de-couple the covers from vibration generated in the block and engine during combustion. Acoustic dampening has also been added for additional NVH improvements.

Refinement, Durability and Maintenance: additional changes incorporated in the LFX deliver greater refinement, quietness and durability, starting with revisions to the front cover. It was redesigned with additional support ribs on the backside and an additional fastener to improve noise and vibration characteristics. The cylinder block is modified slightly to accommodate the front cover’s additional fastener. In addition, the camshafts feature new saddle-type caps for improved durability. Finally, the throttle body is updated with a new, digital throttle position feature that eliminates a previous mechanical contact for more trouble-free operation.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-en...#ixzz34UEJZHyI
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Wow! nice info! Thanx everyone!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Awesome info.

Thx guys!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Here is a link to the GM LFX engine tech document I found... It has some good info, but also a lot of info most people would find useless... Unfortunately I haven't found the document for the LLT engine.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346228
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Here is a link to the GM LFX engine tech document I found... It has some good info, but also a lot of info most people would find useless... Unfortunately I haven't found the document for the LLT engine.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346228
I have this document for the LLT. I will try to take screen shots of it right fast.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
I have this document for the LLT. I will try to take screen shots of it right fast.