Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I thought Forest Green was a Dark Green. My dad has a what we were told was Forest Green Camaro and it's much darker. Luckily it came with black interior. Green interior is

I will also say that even though it's not a common color and it looks good, his car seems to never win against other 1st Gens. Most people/judges still like brighter colors like blues, reds, and oranges. So I go back to my statement of Make It Your Own.
That picture looks like "Fathom Green". There were 3 shades of green paint available for the Camaro in '69. "Frost Green", "Rally Green", and "Fathom Green".

There were a total of 18 different standard colors and some 2-tone options in addition to "Special Paint". LOTS of choices back then.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Ahh.....your right I was thinking Forest Green but it was probably Fathom Green.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
billscamaros

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28, 1969 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton2110 View Post
I found the crayon letters you spoke of LG-1 (light green interior??) Or does this mean something else???
Thanks
Given the comments by Stingr69 regarding the "LG-1" crayon marks, maybe you could post a picture of that mark. I've seen the crayon marks used on the firewall, but not ones used on the interior.

Additionally, you might consider preserving those marks somehow should you decide to repaint the interior while you have it stripped.

Thanks.

Bill
billscamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
Given the comments by Stingr69 regarding the "LG-1" crayon marks, maybe you could post a picture of that mark. I've seen the crayon marks used on the firewall, but not ones used on the interior.

Additionally, you might consider preserving those marks somehow should you decide to repaint the interior while you have it stripped.

Thanks.

Bill
Bill,
Here is a picture what I have on the rear bulkhead of my car in case you are curious.

Triton,
Bill has a good point - The crayon marks on my car were all dried up and very easy to rub off after all the years so be careful with them.

-Mark.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
M Miller69

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I say build it so you love it! If it was a rare piece as a SS396/Z28/Copo/Yenko ect. the story would be different.
I had your same car at one time (color and all) and made no plans of keeping it Org.

10' 2SS
MPD1 Hood
MPD1 spoiler
SS front splitter

SW lt Headers
VMaxx porteds TB
JRE 93 octane tune
M Miller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Bill,
Here is a picture what I have on the rear bulkhead of my car in case you are curious.

Triton,
Bill has a good point - The crayon marks on my car were all dried up and very easy to rub off after all the years so be careful with them.

-Mark.
Most people just take pictures like this and then reproduce them on the restored car as close as possible to the origonal.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton2110 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this sight and had some questions regarding my 69 Camaro Coupe. This is an original complete numbers matching car that is in need of everything.
(1) I decoded it to be a factory 327 powerglide, however the fenders had 350 badging?
(2) Also has the chrome fish gills, wheel well chrome, and rocker chrome. which I did not think came with the coupe package?
(3) What is everyones thoghts on the restotration of this car. restore back to all orginal (frost grren car with green intertior) or Clone it into the Camro of my choice. (RS SS 396 or Z28 RS) If I clone I would keep all the original drive train.

I want to be sure I am doing the right thing when I restore her. This will be a full rotisserie restoration.

I am looking forward to your reponse.
If it wasn't a real SS or Z28, but a plain sport coupe a restomod or clone would be your best bet. Some of them if done correctly still bring big bucks. Not as much as a real one but those are few and far between any more. As long as you make sure and not represent it as a origonal car you will be ok to do it. My inclination would to build to look like a 69 SS Hugger Orange with white stripes. this is always been my favorite 69.
Just build it like one you would have bought yourself if you were buying a new 69 today. That way you will be happiest. Remember any parts that are on the car now that you decide not to reuse, Keep and when you sell the car let them go with it. As they say. If it's not on the car its in the trunk.

here is a reference site you could look at.
http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html
Good luck with your project!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
billscamaros

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28, 1969 Camaro RS
Given that the marks would be covered, it would be cool to preserve them as original. I agree that most people would take the photo and reproduce them, but that's reason enough right there to not do the same.

Mark - thanks for posting your picture up. I've had the entire interior out of my '69 convertible and there are not any original crayon marks inside.

Triton2110 - I specifically bought my '69 knowing that it wasn't a numbers matching car so that I could make modifications to it. You haven't said whether you intend to restore it to sell it, or to keep it. If you're going to keep it and drive it, you might consider upgrading to discs, adding HEI and/or EFI and upgrading in the suspension areas to make it drive much better. If you plan to sell it, clone it to SS or RS/SS standards. Please just be very clear with the buyer that it's a clone.

Either way, a '69 Camaro is a stupid simple car to work on. I've learned a ton over the years, and I still have big plans for mine. Enjoy your car!
billscamaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Most people just take pictures like this and then reproduce them on the restored car as close as possible to the origonal.
I can think of no reason to "clean up" and restore that part of the car. It never shows once assembled and leaving it alone it is a great way to keep original markings "original". It would be difficult to reproduce this one anyway. The crayon marks are so dried out after 40 years that they can wipe off like chalk where exposed. You can't reproduce OLD. The spray glue goes over the top of this mark and I have no idea how anyone could accurately reproduce the marks under the OEM stringy spray glue.

-Mark.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Skrail

Drives: 2011 Silver Convertible 1SS,
A month ago i bought a 69 z/28... Hugger orange w/ blk standard int.. Pre x code... I found the code undr seats, it is a true z....the orig 302 was replaces w/ a CE block in 1972. I have that paperwork!!! Orig it was org/ white stripe, no spoilers, no tach, no cosole!!! Thru the years those were added alon w/ blk stripes and grill, chrome trim pkg too. Weve toyed w/ going original. I talked to the otig owner. Who verified authenticity, and sent me paperwork and pics from 1974 ish era!!! He said it has more character now than it did when he had it.... Ill not change a thing now!!!! Do what you want!!!... Id love frost grn/ grn car!!! My buddy has one rottin in the mud the same color w/ RS pkg. Wont part w/ it!!!!
Skrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #25
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Build it the way you like original or not you need lots of this $$$$$$
7 year build on my 68 & the only thing original is the vin #. zz502 full chassisworks frame 4link with a ford 9" rear end
Attached Images

Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
If you do plan on keeping your camaro the original Frost green,here are some pics of mine,a SS with Boyd Cottington smoothies,and white hockey stripe.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
I posted some pictures of my Frost green 69 Camaro.It is a real SS 350 Camaro with numbers matching block and original 12 bolt rear end,but the Turbo 400-7R trans is not(350 turbo long gone)oh,and has the Dark green interior in it,which is ok,but I will most likely change the interior to Black hounds tooth,and a different exterior color.Recently i purchased the RS Grille package for the car and will be making it a RS/SS Camaro.I will also be adding a cowl induction hood.I'm going for the resto-mod look,although it kinda looks that way now,i'm still gonna make it my own,and don't really care what anybody else thinks about it.

I've actually thought about making up a cowl tag that reads "none of your business" to cover up the original cowl tag.As for the light green interior...Mmmmm i personally would go with black or white,forget the light green color,it looks horrible IMHO.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
My 68 was definitely changed up, but I was going for a stock feel inside and out.
She came with a straight 6 and a 2 speed power glide tranny. Ripped those out and replaced with at 350 engine and 350 turbo tranny. Paint no where near original, but I always wanted that stock look and feel that would make people ask, "was that an original color?"

Like many said before, enjoy it. If it needs everything, do it the way you want

Here's my old girl:
Attached Images