Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Scruffage

Drives: 2011 2ss Rs LS3 manual in black
11.5 second electric street car

Check out this video. This little battery car is bad.
http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686
Scruffage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
NFERGY 2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT
WOW thats fast
NFERGY 2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFERGY 2011 RJT View Post
WOW thats fast
More like quick and not so fast.

Very impressive and I would trade my Monte Carlo for one in a heartbeat but you would think it would of picked up some major mph from the mod's. Electrics would have my full respect if they could back up there super quick ET's with some high mph. This Datsun would get murdered on a highway roll race, I wish there was a way for it to kick ass on the top end as well.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Whats the record at for a street legal car with an internal combustion engine, 8 seconds?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
The thing about electric cars is that they get all of their torque at zero RPM. However, the fastest production car I've seen one claim to go is about 125 mph which I believe was made by Tesla Motors. I could be wrong about the top speed though.

drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #6
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
It's still just a 1972 Datsun that can go one 1/4 mile on a charge... I'll pass.
Good job though.
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
The thing about electric cars is that they get all of their torque at zero RPM. However, the fastest production car I've seen one claim to go is about 125 mph which I believe was made by Tesla Motors. I could be wrong about the top speed though.

I can't resist, I'm sorry. I see people saying this all the time now. They get all of their torque @ > 0 rpm. Torque at 0 rpm is impossible as it is a rotational force. . . just for future reference.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I can't resist, I'm sorry. They get all of their torque @ > 0 rpm. Torque at 0 rpm is impossible as it is a rotational force. . . just for future reference.
Torque is force at a distance. This force at a distance, when applied to something that can rotate will cause that object to rotate. In other words, the rotational is a product of torque, not a requirement.

Get some small electrically powered item, like toy or one of those mini electric fans. Please don't use any sort of power tool. Hold the wheel (or whatever is supposed to rotate) and turn it on. You're going to feel it try and move while you hold it stationary. Torque at 0 rpm from an electric motor.

It is even possible for an internal combustion engine to generate torque at 0 rpm. Consider a spark ignition, gasoline direct injection engine, with no starter motor and is sitting at rest. One of the cylinders is near the top of its compression stroke. Fuel is sprayed in and while its still atomized within the combustion chamber, the spark ignites it. This causes the pressure within the cylinder to skyrocket. But nothing moves, because the car is in gear and the inertia of the entire drivetrain and the static friction is enough to prevent it from moving. But, slip it into neutral and all of a sudden, the engine comes to life. For the entire time between when the fuel-air mix ignited until the engine ran, there was both torque and no movement, in a reciprocating piston engine.

And no, I didn't pull that scenario out of my imagination (well, not entirely). But automakers are working that as an application for the next generation of direct injection engines, starting without a starter motor.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
8cd03gro

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong, but isn't torque = (force vector)x(displacement vector)? If there is no movement at the point at which force is applied, that means all of the force vectors have cancelled out to zero and torque can not exist. Am I wrong?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I'm wrong, but isn't torque = (force vector)x(displacement vector)? If there is no movement at the point at which force is applied, that means all of the force vectors have cancelled out to zero and torque can not exist. Am I wrong?
The displacement vector is from the axis about which the force is being applied to the point which the force is being applied. Nothing requires that it actually rotates about the axis. Merely that it is drawn from that axis to the applied force. The forces can balance out, and nothing will move. But that does not mean there is no torque, just no movement.

In fact, 'static torque' is far more common in the world than 'dynamic torque' is. Usually, its refered to as a moment (particularly in structural engineering circles) but it is identical in concept to torque. Whether its a beam supporting a load, or a guy trying to get a stuck lug nut off a wheel. Nothing is moving, but there are certainly forces applied at a distance, about an axis.

You may be thinking of work or power. They require movement, but torque does not.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The displacement vector is from the axis about which the force is being applied to the point which the force is being applied. Nothing requires that it actually rotates about the axis. Merely that it is drawn from that axis to the applied force. The forces can balance out, and nothing will move. But that does not mean there is no torque, just no movement.

In fact, 'static torque' is far more common in the world than 'dynamic torque' is. Usually, its refered to as a moment (particularly in structural engineering circles) but it is identical in concept to torque. Whether its a beam supporting a load, or a guy trying to get a stuck lug nut off a wheel. Nothing is moving, but there are certainly forces applied at a distance, about an axis.

You may be thinking of work or power. They require movement, but torque does not.
You are misunderstanding my point. The displacement vector isn't my concern, the force vector is. If there is no movement, any force vector must be cancelled out by another of equal magnitude in the opposite direction. If that's the case than the value of the total force vector is zero and if torque is the product of the force vector and displacement vector, then torque must be equal to zero. Maybe I'm just getting too caught up on the technicalities of the terminology. . .
Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
You are misunderstanding my point. The displacement vector isn't my concern, the force vector is. If there is no movement, any force vector must be cancelled out by another of equal magnitude in the opposite direction. If that's the case than the value of the total force vector is zero and if torque is the product of the force vector and displacement vector, then torque must be equal to zero. Maybe I'm just getting too caught up on the technicalities of the terminology. . .
There can be an equal and opposite force that makes the net force equal to 0, thus preventing any acceleration. But that doesn't mean each force no longer exists. They simply exist in balance. It only ceases to exist theoretically after doing the vector addition. But both the applied force, and the reaction force are still there.

As a practical example, if you hold a weight out at arms length you feel gravity pulling it down. Consider that the applied force to your arm. To hold it still, you must exert a force to counter gravity, a reaction force. With what you seem to be proposing is that since the thing you're holding is not moving, it must therefore be weightless, which is absurd and untrue. Force exists without movement, and continues to exist despite equal opposition.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
Jenny1
Banned

Drives: Honda
Hi Scruffage,
Thanks for the URL... This is really excellent cars having good pickup as well as it give good performance..
Jenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Having spent 4 years of my life learning about electricity in engineering school, one of the tortures of graduation was learning everything that you never wanted to know about electric motors. Suffice it to say that you can wind an electric motor in a fashion to blow away just about any fossil fuel motor in existance today in the 1/4 mile. If you created a car with a battery, a power control system and a motor on each wheel, and the right combination of know how, you would be pushing 300 MPH in the 1/4. The car would be very very light in comparison to any other car since you would have no drivetrain other than cables and a battery only big enough to go 1/4 mile.

Is that a practical every day car? No way! But, don't underestimate electric motors for performance. You can do amazing things with them, as the industrial world already knows.