Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Adam's APC or IPA?

Just wondering if there would be any benefits/tradeoffs to using one or the other as a wax stripper?

Never tried the APC, usually just use the IPA, but some Autopia and other forums have said APC wipedowns work better than IPA, but they don't mention Adam's specifically. If so, what dilution should I use?

Tomorrow I'll be applying and trying out a new coating (Wolf's) and will probably clay first and then use either the IPA (1:1) or APC.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Just use IPA. I wouldn't use Adam's APC since you don't know if it is paint safe. I know that all APC's can be used as wax strippers, but each of them have their own dilution ratios. I use Optimum Power Clean and it is 100% safe on paint even undiluted, but I also know that Meguiar's APC should be used at 64:1 on paint. So knowing the exact dilution ratio would be key.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Just use IPA. I wouldn't use Adam's APC since you don't know if it is paint safe. I know that all APC's can be used as wax strippers, but each of them have their own dilution ratios. I use Optimum Power Clean and it is 100% safe on paint even undiluted, but I also know that Meguiar's APC should be used at 64:1 on paint. So knowing the exact dilution ratio would be key.
I think you're right. When it comes down to it, if it ain't broke, don't change it. I should stick to what I know, but I always like experimenting. Maybe not on my Camaro though
Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I think you're right. When it comes down to it, if it ain't broke, don't change it. I should stick to what I know, but I always like experimenting. Maybe not on my Camaro though
If Dylan would step in here I'm sure he would know the dilution ratio that would be safe on paint. He knows pretty much everything there is to know about Adam's.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
If Dylan would step in here I'm sure he would know the dilution ratio that would be safe on paint. He knows pretty much everything there is to know about Adam's.
Very true, ton of respect for his detailing prowess. But unlike us, he probably has something better to do on Friday night than prowl detailing forums
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Very true, ton of respect for his detailing prowess. But unlike us, he probably has something better to do on Friday night than prowl detailing forums
Well.... I was out earlier tonight, I'm just trying not to spend a lot of money because I start college in Septemeber.
I had to talk myself out of the Wolf's stuff, Bilt Hambers clay, and Tuf Shine tire clear coat. Chris had me thinking about spending a lot of money but I couldn't get myself to do it lol. I've already spent well over $500 in the past 2 months trying new stuff.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Well.... I was out earlier tonight, I'm just trying not to spend a lot of money because I start college in Septemeber.
I had to talk myself out of the Wolf's stuff, Bilt Hambers clay, and Tuf Shine tire clear coat. Chris had me thinking about spending a lot of money but I couldn't get myself to do it lol. I've already spent well over $500 in the past 2 months trying new stuff.
Nice, good luck on college. I just graduated in May but going back for Grad School this fall, so I know what it's like trying to detail on a college budget. This is the first new product I've treated myself to in a while.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Nice, good luck on college. I just graduated in May but going back for Grad School this fall, so I know what it's like trying to detail on a college budget. This is the first new product I've treated myself to in a while.
Yea and I have 5 years of it. I'm going for a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering I can already tear a computer a part and redo it completely including software so I figured I'd do something that I enjoy.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Just wondering if there would be any benefits/tradeoffs to using one or the other as a wax stripper?

Never tried the APC, usually just use the IPA, but some Autopia and other forums have said APC wipedowns work better than IPA, but they don't mention Adam's specifically. If so, what dilution should I use?

Tomorrow I'll be applying and trying out a new coating (Wolf's) and will probably clay first and then use either the IPA (1:1) or APC.
Honestly go with a full ipa wipe down then I would even follow up with a 4:1 wipedown prior to application. It is uber critical that there be no oils or anything on the paint prior to application of the wolfs.

However there is a way you can do a test to see if the APC will work. Pick a spot and do a small section with the APC and then follow with the body wrap. If you get a haze then stop and go with the IPA. One good thing about the body wrap it tells you if paint is contaminated during application.

Quote:

What the heck Keith, were talking about protecting a camaro here not a gremlin. I don't blame you one bit. Been in that situation. Think of it this way, when you graduate you will be able to get all of this stuff for your 6th gen.

If my US plastics order ever arrives I can get some sample stuff out to you guys.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
Honestly go with a full ipa wipe down then I would even follow up with a 4:1 wipedown prior to application. It is uber critical that there be no oils or anything on the paint prior to application of the wolfs.

However there is a way you can do a test to see if the APC will work. Pick a spot and do a small section with the APC and then follow with the body wrap. If you get a haze then stop and go with the IPA. One good thing about the body wrap it tells you if paint is contaminated during application.

So you're saying go undiluted IPA first then go 4:1 diluted again? Alright. Yeah based on the numerous forums I've been cruising and videos on this stuff, it's extra critical to be clean.

I'm going to try to get a video before of water beading off the hood that's coated with Adam's MSW and topped with Americana right now, then compare it to the Wolf's.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post

What the heck Keith, were talking about protecting a camaro here not a gremlin. I don't blame you one bit. Been in that situation. Think of it this way, when you graduate you will be able to get all of this stuff for your 6th gen.
If my US plastics order ever arrives I can get some sample stuff out to you guys.
Yep I plan to get a house when I get out of college then I plan to get a 6th Gen ZL1 if they have it. We have my mom's 1973 Camaro 350 small block still in our garage. I get that too. I also want a 1969 Z28/RS. Not a clone. That is my dream car.

And one reason I don't want to apply a nano sealant is because I enjoy waxing my car. It calms me and gives me time away from people. And I change the protection too often lol. I can't keep something on their long enough to do a durability test. I was just looking into a nano sealant for the front, gills, and rocker panels in order to help with rock chips and bugs. I plan on getting the spray on clear bra for sure once Phil gets it.

P.S. those Gremlins can be mean little cars if they're tuned up for drag racing. I've saw one do stuff that my Camaro will never do. It rode a willie about 250 yards down the track.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

We need some kind of chat system on this forum... lol
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
If its just a wipe down stick to IPA... if you're going to full wash I've found using a mixture of 6oz APC + 2oz Car Wash to a 32oz canister makes an excellent stripping wash.

The usual cautions still apply that you don't want to allow it to dry on the finish, but other than that it foams really well in a gun, and strips paint/trim in a hurry.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Well, it doesn't really matter now. Opened my box from Phil and low and behold....NO WOLF'S. So disappointed. All that was in there was my Sonax wheel cleaner.