Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Does the ZL1 auto come with AFM?

No...
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Does the ZL1 auto come with AFM?
We got past the GG Tax by using AFM on the SS Autos
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I don't think the ZL1s would have avoided the GG tax even with AFM. They weigh too much and they are more performance oriented.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

the only way I see the ZL-1 getting around the GG tax is

1. different engine (the boosted 6.2L gets worse milage than and LS7)
2. different gearing (taller 6th, higher rear ratio wich would lap slower most likely)
3. less wieght (not going to happen)

It would have been interesting to see if a ~3800lb car with and LS7 would have the GG.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

I'm not advocating we even try with the ZL1... I don't want to give up anything unless it's weight reduction
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
actireman

Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
I know one thing, they charged me sales tax on a gas guzzler tax. How does that work? Taxed on a tax? Sounds like BS to me. I asked the dealer because it pissed me off. We already pay enough in taxes. They should be happy how thirsty it is, seeing on how they tax every gallon of gas too.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #21
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
The gas guzzler tax is a tax for GM Corp not the end user. They ammortize it into the cost of the car and show it as a line item on the sticker. This way it makes the base car price sound lower. Since it is rolled into the price of the car, yes we have to pay sales tax on it. It is a tax to GM not a tax to us. GM passes it along and then we get whacked on top of the head. It is the price you pay to play but yes it sucks.

I will tell you it was a major factor in why I am getting a manual. The upcharge for the auto trans is $1185 + an additional GG tax of $1300 + state sales tax. That is an upcharge of $2634.10 in MI. Not worth it IMHO.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by actireman View Post
I know one thing, they charged me sales tax on a gas guzzler tax. How does that work? Taxed on a tax? Sounds like BS to me. I asked the dealer because it pissed me off. We already pay enough in taxes. They should be happy how thirsty it is, seeing on how they tax every gallon of gas too.
This is how all taxes are. They get passed to the end consumer as a higher cost and the consumer gets taxed twice or more but "hidden". BS especially when you think about how much cheaper and easier things could be without idiotic things like Gas Guzzler taxes.
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
tfghung

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I know I am in the minority opinion, but I think there should be high taxes on bad things. Taxes on tobacco, taxes on alcohol, taxes on sugar-added products like soda, and taxes on fuel. We are lucky to get this car in this day and age. No car should only get 12 mpg, but it doesn't mean I don't want it

Look what happened over 10 years ago when gas prices really started rising. SUV sales plummeted. That was a good thing. The less petroleum our country uses, the less of it we need from the Middle East who want us out of there. We then have better national security. I think the CAFE should be 40 mpg right now!
tfghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
BigDogZL1

Drives: ZL1
Your ate up!
BigDogZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfghung View Post
I know I am in the minority opinion, but I think there should be high taxes on bad things. Taxes on tobacco, taxes on alcohol, taxes on sugar-added products like soda, and taxes on fuel. We are lucky to get this car in this day and age. No car should only get 12 mpg, but it doesn't mean I don't want it

Look what happened over 10 years ago when gas prices really started rising. SUV sales plummeted. That was a good thing. The less petroleum our country uses, the less of it we need from the Middle East who want us out of there. We then have better national security. I think the CAFE should be 40 mpg right now!
And then we give subsidies to grow things like corn to produce cheap fast food that makes us all FAT and un-healthy...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
tfghung

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
And then we give subsidies to grow things like corn to produce cheap fast food that makes us all FAT and un-healthy...
Yeah, that was a bad idea. Food prices went up too because farmers were growing tons of corn for ethanol. Then they had to find some other uses for the corn. We need to end subsidies for industries that don't need it like big agriculture and big oil.
tfghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfghung View Post
Yeah, that was a bad idea. Food prices went up too because farmers were growing tons of corn for ethanol. Then they had to find some other uses for the corn. We need to end subsidies for industries that don't need it like big agriculture and big oil.
Whoops... there are no subsidies for big oil... the tax breaks they are afforded are across the board for a lot of big companies... they are just singled out because they actually make money...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Whoops... there are no subsidies for big oil... the tax breaks they are afforded are across the board for a lot of big companies... they are just singled out because they actually make money...
Regardless of what other large industries are afforded, the fossil fuel industry receives a tremendous amount of Federal subsidies. A fossil fuel subsidy is any government action that lowers the cost of fossil fuel energy production, raises the price received by producers or lowers the price paid by consumers, such as tax breaks and giveaways, loans at favorable rates, price controls, purchase requirements, etc. A recent comprehensive study on the subject identified just over $10 billion in annual Federal subsides for the fossil fuel industry between 2002 and 2008. Whether those subsidies are good or bad is a value judgment left for the reader.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote