Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Finally got to compare convertibles - Camaro vs. Mustang

I finally had the chance to rent and compare a Mustang convertible to the Camaro. Disclaimer: This is regular Mustang vs. Camaro SS, so a direct comparison is not possible. But here's what I observed:

- Rental car is a 2013 Mustang convertible 3.7L V6 automatic with 4,230 miles.
- Can't compare driving, power, etc. as my car is a manual SS.
- Rented out of Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, AZ.
- Average MPG over unknown time (combined) is 22.5 MPG vs. 19.8 MPG for my 5.7L LS-3 V8.
- Kicker audio system has impressive sound, especially in the front of the car. Can't really hear the back too well when driving.
- The car feels much lighter than the Camaro. But don't know if this is good (speed & agility) or bad (lack of solidness, integrity?).
- The car has a vinyl convertible top, instead of the Camaro's cloth top. Don't know if this is good or bad either.
- Top material is not tight at the bottom edges. No rub marks to speak of, though.
- The top locking header consists of two outboard rotate and lock levers, which appear to have more moving parts than the Camaro's single lock handle. The rotate and pivot points on each handle looks like they will become wear items.
- There's only one switch located on the driver's door to operate both rear windows in tandem - something I had never seen before & found it to be quite odd.
- It has a round speedometer and tach gauge, but these only use the top half the dial for 0 to 160 MPH, which makes it very challenging to read, and not good for places like AZ where speed cameras abound.
- Dash and other interior lighting colors can be changed.
- Digits in graphical electronic odometer displayappear to "roll over".
- Hand brake is right next to the driver's waist, heavy driver can rub against it.
- The seatback latches are outboard, and each time the seat is folded foward it does not return to its previous seatback tilt setting. Why is this? It's quite annoying. Could be that I don't know how to operate it correctly, but imho its function should be intuitive.
- When the center console is closed, resting your elbow on it will activate the latch and open it.
- Auto trans shifter blocks heater temperature knob from driver's view when in Park.
- When car is locked with the top down, reaching in and unlocking the power door lock & entering does not set off the car alarm (to be fair, I need to test this on my Camaro when I get home).
- There's a 1-second auto trans delay when shifting from Park to Drive.
- Car does start every time and the engine runs flawlessly. Exhaust does not sound as gutsy as the 2008 Mustang V6 I rented a few years back. That had the tone of a V8, at least at idle and on light acceleration. When pushed it sounded tinny, though.
- Overall a decent car to rent for the week. But I'll be glad to get home to my SS, even though I'm not driving it until the salt goes away!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
302-412

Drives: 2013 Ram Express
Good writeup, the interior flaws are bothersome. I went from a 06 GTO which had a fantastic interior. I will say though the seat adjustment is kind of a mute point as is the usefulness of the back seat in both cars! How about the power difference between the 08 and the 13, should be fairly apparent?

Last edited by 302-412; 02-06-2013 at 06:19 AM.
302-412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
I think your car is a 6.2L lol =)
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
302-412

Extremely rare 5.7 LS3
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302-412 View Post
Good writeup, the interior flaws are bothersome. I went from a 06 GTO which had a fantastic interior. I will say though the seat adjustment is kind of a mute point as is the usefulness of the back seat in both cars! How about the power difference between the 08 and the 13, should be fairly apparent?

I owned an 05 and 06 GTO.
I wish I could swap some GTO seats into my Camaro SS. The GTO seats are unbelievably comforable and supportive.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
I am admittedly a Mustang fan, but when it comes to ragtops, I'd take the new Camaro over the Mustang. It just looks better. And in a convertible that matters big time.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
I finally had the chance to rent and compare a Mustang convertible to the Camaro. Disclaimer: This is regular Mustang vs. Camaro SS, so a direct comparison is not possible. But here's what I observed:

- Rental car is a 2013 Mustang convertible 3.7L V6 automatic with 4,230 miles.
- Can't compare driving, power, etc. as my car is a manual SS.
- Rented out of Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, AZ.
- Average MPG over unknown time (combined) is 22.5 MPG vs. 19.8 MPG for my 5.7L LS-3 V8.
- Kicker audio system has impressive sound, especially in the front of the car. Can't really hear the back too well when driving.
- The car feels much lighter than the Camaro. But don't know if this is good (speed & agility) or bad (lack of solidness, integrity?).
- The car has a vinyl convertible top, instead of the Camaro's cloth top. Don't know if this is good or bad either.
- Top material is not tight at the bottom edges. No rub marks to speak of, though.
- The top locking header consists of two outboard rotate and lock levers, which appear to have more moving parts than the Camaro's single lock handle. The rotate and pivot points on each handle looks like they will become wear items.
- There's only one switch located on the driver's door to operate both rear windows in tandem - something I had never seen before & found it to be quite odd.
- It has a round speedometer and tach gauge, but these only use the top half the dial for 0 to 160 MPH, which makes it very challenging to read, and not good for places like AZ where speed cameras abound.
- Dash and other interior lighting colors can be changed.
- Digits in graphical electronic odometer displayappear to "roll over".
- Hand brake is right next to the driver's waist, heavy driver can rub against it.
- The seatback latches are outboard, and each time the seat is folded foward it does not return to its previous seatback tilt setting. Why is this? It's quite annoying. Could be that I don't know how to operate it correctly, but imho its function should be intuitive.
- When the center console is closed, resting your elbow on it will activate the latch and open it.
- Auto trans shifter blocks heater temperature knob from driver's view when in Park.
- When car is locked with the top down, reaching in and unlocking the power door lock & entering does not set off the car alarm (to be fair, I need to test this on my Camaro when I get home).
- There's a 1-second auto trans delay when shifting from Park to Drive.
- Car does start every time and the engine runs flawlessly. Exhaust does not sound as gutsy as the 2008 Mustang V6 I rented a few years back. That had the tone of a V8, at least at idle and on light acceleration. When pushed it sounded tinny, though.
- Overall a decent car to rent for the week. But I'll be glad to get home to my SS, even though I'm not driving it until the salt goes away!
HMM that's weird, my sisters GT500 has a cloth top.... Just like the Camaro
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
I wonder what a race would be like with 5.0 with 3.31's with 2 HT leads disconnected versus a 3.7 manual with 3.31s would go ?
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
302-412

Come on mate, rough day there? How about a GT 500 with 4 ignition coils gone?

Tags
camaro, comparison, mustang