Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
honda460ex

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Thoughts on LSA Blower + 416 Stroker???

For the last year I have been parts gathering and I finally gathered everything I wanted... So I thought... I had planned on doing the LSA conversion to my LS3 so I bought everything. Stage 3 BTR PD Cam, ZL1 fuel pump with electronic booster, 85lb injectors, 2.50'' blower pulley, etc, etc... Now that I am getting close to tearing it down I am getting cold feet about doing it without forging the bottom end. At first I wasn't going to forge it but my power goal of around 650 rwhp has concerned me seeing some others failures. I figure a bare LS3 block new is $1,500+ so if I destroy my current block I will likely wish I would have spent the money to forge it now instead. In looking at kits though it seems you can stroke and forge the LS3 to a 416 for just as cheap as forging the stock 376.

Thoughts or experiences with a 1.9 eaton matched with a 416??? Good, bad, the ugly? Would like to keep my compression near stock at around 10.5 to 1.

I figure my next problem will be fuel... From research it seems the ZL1 pump with a booster will be strained above 650 rwhp? And no meth, no E85. Not to many places sell that stuff around here so my tune would need to be 93. Like I said though, my goal really isn't over that limit but I'm sure once it's forged down the road I will tweak things including the fuel system.

Anyway... Thoughts? Experiences? Who has done this and what did your set up look like?

Thanks!
honda460ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Mine runs awesome. 417 lsa combo. Made 721rwhp and 740rwtq at 10psi. Manual car.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
honda460ex

Wow... That's awesome Smokum! I'm manual as well with the McLeod RXT waiting for the build.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your fuel setup and what compression pistons did you end up going with on your build?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Google adm performanc 417+ lsa blower and you will see my whole build. For some reason i cant link it to this.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
For a goal of 650rwhp I wouldn't spend the money to forge a LS3, they are plenty strong to handle that and doing a forged 416 doesn't mean it wont break, a real good tuner is what you should focus on because a bad one will break any motor.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
For a goal of 650rwhp I wouldn't spend the money to forge a LS3, they are plenty strong to handle that and doing a forged 416 doesn't mean it wont break, a real good tuner is what you should focus on because a bad one will break any motor.
+1

LS3 can do 650 all day long stock. People have motor failures at stock power levels. Truth is you have a comfortable margin. Spend the money on some valve train parts. Trunion upgrade, dual valve springs, pushrods and slap in a new cam.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
honda460ex

I understand and agree it can handle it well but I'd rather insure the engine with a little better policy. I get it, forged can fail also, but if its put together right I think we can all agree that forged it stands a better chance for a longer period of time. Plus, like most, I get bored in time so who knows. I might turn the boost up later or do some head work. I do already have dual valve springs though, a cam, and im ordering beafier push rods once I tear it down and measure. Locally we have a good tuner that has lots of experience with LS engines, Cincy Speed. I have no doubt in them. Like I said though, I'm sure I'll tweak things in the future so I'd rather add a little insurance now. Just didn't know really how the combo with the stroker and LSA supercharger would be. Seems my search yielded most guys being n/a with the stroker instead of f/I. I'll Google that Smokum. I was curious to see a build or two with that set up so much appreciated. Thanks all for the input.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Tell Tracy I said hi.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:26 PM   #9
honda460ex

ha ha, will do!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:31 AM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda460ex View Post
I understand and agree it can handle it well but I'd rather insure the engine with a little better policy. I get it, forged can fail also, but if its put together right I think we can all agree that forged it stands a better chance for a longer period of time. Plus, like most, I get bored in time so who knows. I might turn the boost up later or do some head work. I do already have dual valve springs though, a cam, and im ordering beafier push rods once I tear it down and measure. Locally we have a good tuner that has lots of experience with LS engines, Cincy Speed. I have no doubt in them. Like I said though, I'm sure I'll tweak things in the future so I'd rather add a little insurance now. Just didn't know really how the combo with the stroker and LSA supercharger would be. Seems my search yielded most guys being n/a with the stroker instead of f/I. I'll Google that Smokum. I was curious to see a build or two with that set up so much appreciated. Thanks all for the input.

I was at 750rwhp with 83k miles on the car. I had 2 faulty oil pumps that helped end the life of one of my lifters that took out my Melling and crank bearings.

I'm currently forging with the factory bore (+0.040) using the LSA crank. The entire rebuild was about $2000 cheaper than going to a 416. The crank is about 60% cheaper than the Dragon Slayer (maybe more depending on where you look). And the front snout is made for a blower to be adding pressure to it.

I'll be running around 16# of boost when it's all said and done on E-85 and meth and should be close to 800rwhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk