Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
496BIGBLOCK
L18 8.1 Liter 496 CID

Drives: 2008 Caddy DTS Performance Ed.
Saturn Sky Red Line GMPP cold air intake question

hey everyone!

Just got a quick question...

I bought a brand new 2009 Saturn Sky Red Line for my fiance, and at the dealership I had the cold air intake, catback exhaust and some other GM performance division parts put on it. With about 20 miles on the car from highway driving it smoked a little bit, which im thinking is just the burn off from one the car being brand new and also the catback exhaust being brand new as well. But, with around 80 miles or so on the car, the check engine light came on and when I called Onstar it flagged the code as something to do with the air intake feeding the turbo. Any suggestions? Im gonna take it to the Saturn place here in town to get the official word, but I had always heard to unhook the battery on a car or truck when putting a cold air intake on to let the computer re-calibrate for the new amount of air being pulled in.

I would appreciate any of your help.
496BIGBLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First, welcome!

Regarding your fiance's Saturn, if the dealer installed the items, they should have checked that everything worked properly, ie; calibrating the onboard computer.

I don't have any experience's with turbo's, but I've perfromed similar mods to my SS, and other than an issue with a catalytic converter, I haven't had any problems. And I'd be concerned with the smoke you say you saw at 20 mi.!

Personally, I'd get the car back to the dealer ASAP. They sould check that the mods. they installed will not adversley affect the car.

I hope that was of some help?
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
XD i didn't know that gmpp even had a cai for the lnf
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
496BIGBLOCK
L18 8.1 Liter 496 CID

Well, to add to the story... I changed the Driver info center over to the boost info, and it is creating 0 psi... so the turbo is not working properly. It WAS working when we first drove it, but now that the check engine light is on im just wondering if it is electronically preventing it from building boost. eh, either way its going to the Saturn place on friday.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496BIGBLOCK View Post
Well, to add to the story... I changed the Driver info center over to the boost info, and it is creating 0 psi... so the turbo is not working properly. It WAS working when we first drove it, but now that the check engine light is on im just wondering if it is electronically preventing it from building boost. eh, either way its going to the Saturn place on friday.
wait is your charge piping off of the center mount?? cause if it is then it might have knocked a sensor off and i'm still confused on how they put a cai on it???
Old 12-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
496BIGBLOCK
L18 8.1 Liter 496 CID

<~~ Scratches head...

well, It is in the same place the original air box was in... the one we ordered from their parts department is designed for the Sky... and it bolted right up. Easy enough huh?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496BIGBLOCK View Post
<~~ Scratches head...

well, It is in the same place the original air box was in... the one we ordered from their parts department is designed for the Sky... and it bolted right up. Easy enough huh?
You are having problems that seem to be directly related to the CAI you've had installed as your car has too few miles for the problem to be anything else. I don't recall a cold air intake being available for any vehicle equipped with LNF 2.0 litre turbo engine. The dealership may have installed a cold air intake for the base model sky/soltice which would have caused an engine code error. Your engine may think it is running too rich or lean.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
MCPOAJ

what it sounds like is they did an airbox mod took the stock airbox off put a new cai filter on it sure it'll seem like it bolts right up but the lnf is VERY picky about what kind of equipment you put on
Old 12-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
496BIGBLOCK
L18 8.1 Liter 496 CID

Thank you all for your input. The car is going in the morning to the saturn place, but I had my friend at the GMC/Buick place read the code and it ends up it is saying the solenoid that operates the wastegate on the turbo may be cracked. Apparently this must be a problem, since in November Gm created a bulletin about it. The cold air intake that I ordered was specifically for the Red Line model, so it shouldnt (operative word being shouldnt) have caused the problem. What I think has happened now is where the removed the old intake and the connecting piping, they may have damaged the solenoid doing so, causing the failure of the wastegate, preventing boost... hopefully that is all. I guess we will find out tomorrow.