Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #155
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber View Post
What makes you think it is not street legal or driveable anymore?
No cats.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #156
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent orange View Post
No cats.

I still don't see your point.

I DD'd several cars without Cats that were louder than most other cars, and never had an issue with the law, emissions, etc.

Most modified cars do not have cats. The majority of people that swap their exhausts swap out for an O/R Mid-pipe of some kind.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #157
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:

I DD'd several cars without Cats that were louder than most other cars, and never had an issue with the law, emissions, etc.

Most modified cars do not have cats. The majority of people that swap their exhausts swap out for an O/R Mid-pipe of some kind.
Yeah, and that makes the car illegal to drive on the street. Thus, those cars are, by definition, not street legal. You remove the cats, you are in violation of Federal law.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #158
Grabber
Just a car guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Yeah, and that makes the car illegal to drive on the street. Thus, those cars are, by definition, not street legal. You remove the cats, you are in violation of Federal law.

LOL

This is hilarious.

Almost sounds like you guys are making excuses for his times I.E No cats is a completely illegal car, etc.

It is different by state. Some states enfore exhaust mofications, some don't, simple as that.

Most states however, enforce loud cars. I can bet my ass a Cammed LSx motor is a tiny bit louder than a 4.6 or 5.0 with no cats, seeing as most Modified cars do not have cats.

I think you are preaching to the wrong group here.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #159
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
LOL

This is hilarious.

Almost sounds like you guys are making excuses for his times I.E No cats is a completely illegal car, etc.

It is different by state. Some states enfore exhaust mofications, some don't, simple as that.

Most states however, enforce loud cars. I can bet my ass a Cammed LSx motor is a tiny bit louder than a 4.6 or 5.0 with no cats, seeing as most Modified cars do not have cats.

I think you are preaching to the wrong group here.
What's funny is that you fail to grasp the fact that by removing the cats, a Federal law has been broken and Federal law supersedes State law. Just because you don't know of anyone who has been charged for a violation does not mean it is any less illegal. What state you register the vehicle in does not make one iota of difference.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #160
Grabber
Just a car guy

Quote:
What's funny is that you fail to grasp the fact that by removing the cats, a Federal law has been broken and Federal law supersedes State law. Just because you don't know of anyone who has been charged for a violation does not mean it is any less illegal. What state you register the vehicle in does not make one iota of difference.

I'm well aware of the offense.

You are preaching on a Car forum with HIGHLY modified cars that are driven on the the street and don't meet Federal Standards.

If you have an issue with this guy not having Cats, or the fact that my 07 GT does not, then go ahead and report me so you can stop being all bent out of shape. Worry about yourself, okey dokey?

Thanks.
05 GT - Sold
Old 10-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #161
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
I'm well aware of the offense.

You are preaching on a Car forum with HIGHLY modified cars that are driven on the the street and don't meet Federal Standards.

If you have an issue with this guy not having Cats, or the fact that my 07 GT does not, then go ahead and report me so you can stop being all bent out of shape. Worry about yourself, okey dokey?

Thanks.
Don't have any issue with it nor am I "bent out of shape" about it. The question was what makes it no longer street legal. Of course, you already knew the answer but continue to act like because so many people do it, that it somehow changes that fact. I'm sure there are a lot of people who use marijuana that never get busted, too. Doesn't mean it's not illegal. We have millions of people in this country that did not immigrate through proper channels that have not been deported. Doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Texas law states:

Quote:
Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine. The motor vehicle is defined as any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street or highway. The only exception to the tampering rule is the need to install a new certified emission control system or device that is equally effective in reducing vehicle emissions.

Tampering may include, but is not limited to:

Removing the catalytic converter, air pump, and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, or doing anything to keep them from working properly, such as disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the pollution control system.

Adjusting any element of a car or truck's emission control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer's specifications.

Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle.

Adding a part that was not originally certified on the car, such as installing a turbocharger.
Look, I'm not busting on you, your car or the times it is putting down, so you need to relax. Okey Dokey?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #162
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent orange View Post
How many horses do you got in here? So i bet yours is not a street legal anymore.
Dyno:

432RWHP
376WTQ

SAE

I drive it all the time. In fact, that evening I drove it to the track, switched tires, ran, switched tires and drove it back home. 186 miles round trip.

I don't live in California where one can't install a CAI without it being CARB approved to be considered "legal". What a 'effed up state....
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #163
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Cool, now hit the track with your new mods and shoot for 10's.

My tuner's 3 day old new 5.0L shop car ran 11.73@116 with ONLY a E85 tune and stickies and makes 404.8whp@6,325 and 396.5wtq@4,250

He has since added the Lethal O/R H pipe and 2011+ GT500 mufflers and is running 11.54. I dont see why you couldn't be in the 10's with your additional mods. Maybe give Shaun at AED a call, he has these Coyotes running tits as you can see.
I know Shaun. He and I have traded PM's on another site quite a few times.

His 11.54 run was in 500' DA whereas the 11.63 run I made was in 2,500' DA. No doubt their shop car runs good for what he has done.

I am hoping for low 11's and will go from there for 10's. It all boils down to getting a good 60' time.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #164
Grabber
Just a car guy

Quote:
Don't have any issue with it nor am I "bent out of shape" about it. The question was what makes it no longer street legal. Of course, you already knew the answer but continue to act like because so many people do it, that it somehow changes that fact. I'm sure there are a lot of people who use marijuana that never get busted, too. Doesn't mean it's not illegal. We have millions of people in this country that did not immigrate through proper channels that have not been deported. Doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Texas law states:

Look, I'm not busting on you, your car or the times it is putting down, so you need to relax. Okey Dokey?

I think you are assuming I think it's OK because others do it. I do what I want for myself, and I don't feel it's OK to do or that I should do it because of what other people do, lol.

Also, I do not live in TX.

I'm not going to argue with you, but, the Federal Government doesn't care enough to inspect every car, especially if the car passes emissions, which is the primary concern. All of my cars passed emissions, so I guess that takes care of that, haha.
05 GT - Sold
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #165
Grabber
Just a car guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I know Shaun. He and I have traded PM's on another site quite a few times.

His 11.54 run was in 500' DA whereas the 11.63 run I made was in 2,500' DA. No doubt their shop car runs good for what he has done.

I am hoping for low 11's and will go from there for 10's. It all boils down to getting a good 60' time.

Your car runs really good times for a bolt-on car.

I am sure you will hit bottom 11's, possibly high 10's with some minor tweaking and good weather.

05 GT - Sold
Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #166
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
Also, I do not live in TX.
Not sure why I put Texas, that was taken from Illinois law. I'm so embarassed.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #167
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Your car runs really good times for a bolt-on car.

I am sure you will hit bottom 11's, possibly high 10's with some minor tweaking and good weather.

Thanks! I believe it is in the top 5 N/A M6 cars in the country atm.

Shaun@AED and JJ@WMS both have gone quicker. 11.54 and 11.12 respectively. The most up2date list can be found here:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...4/index34.html

Most of the top bolt-on cars are autos.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #168
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:

In CA, for street cars, it is illegal to remove tha cats...just as it is illegal to drive while talking on cellphone in your ear but people think it isn't really illegal until you get busted.

In CA, pre-1974 ½ car are emissions exempt therefore you can do what you like with the engine, exhaust, whatever.

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 10-19-2011 at 01:26 PM.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote