Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Muffler delete - newbie questions

I really like the youtube clips of muffler deletes and want to get them. Is this just something I tell a muffler shop to do? Or do I have to buy some pipes and/or tips for them to weld on?

Crazily enough, when I move back to philly for school in the fall I might want the mufflers put back on because it's a bad area... is this something that can be easily done once they're taken off?

Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Just about any muffler shop should have the pipes on hand to be able to do it. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. for me and that was a hobbly older guy and his wife. Best $150 I've spent!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Bmatth1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Just about any muffler shop should have the pipes on hand to be able to do it. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. for me and that was a hobbly older guy and his wife. Best $150 I've spent!
Ok cool thank you. Did you just use your stock tips? Since it's possible I'll need to have the mufflers put back on, it might be easier to get different tips and keep the mufflers all in one piece. Does anyone know where I would be able to buy just 4" tips? Thanks and again sorry for the new questions.

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Yes, you can buy 4" tips or 3" to 4" adapted tips.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Ok cool thank you. Did you just use your stock tips? Since it's possible I'll need to have the mufflers put back on, it might be easier to get different tips and keep the mufflers all in one piece. Does anyone know where I would be able to buy just 4" tips? Thanks and again sorry for the new questions.
Yep, they reused the stock tips.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
You can reuse your factory tips, but they will have to be cut off and welded back on. If you think there is a chance you will go back to stock, I would find other tips and keep your stock tips on your old mufflers. Borla sells there tips individually. Pricy but nice.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
cd3neil19

Drives: '10 2SS/RS & '14 Range Rover Sport
Magnaflow sells their tips.

Silver 2010 L99 SS/RS
Mods: Magnaflow Competition Series Exhaust, 20% Window Tint, Blacked out LED tail lights, OEM Color matched mudflaps.
cd3neil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Bmatth1162

Thanks guys, I'll look at borla and magnaflow for tips. Question though - I want 4" outlet tips but what size inlet would I need? Would that depend on the size of the pipe the muffler shop is going to use? Or can they generally weld any size tip inlet to the pipe they use? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Stock exhaust size is 2.5 so look for that size inlet.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
You might also want to look at the solo performance tips
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Bmatth1162

I'm still back and forth on the muffler delete... I called the muffler shop and he said cutting the mufflers off would sound more like a weed whacker than a muscle car. I understand just cutting the mufflers off after the resonators won't sound like a muscle car with headers/cam, but would it sound bad? The youtube clips seem to sound fine but you can't really tell on a computer. What's everyone's honest opinion of cutting the mufflers off after the resonators?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Quote:
I'm still back and forth on the muffler delete... I called the muffler shop and he said cutting the mufflers off would sound more like a weed whacker than a muscle car.
He is wrong.
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
The whole "how does it sound?" discussion is really impossible to get a definitive answer on because everyone's ear and what they like is different.

Having said that, if you are completely stock then I don't think a muffler delete buys you much in the way of a change in sound. If you like the way it sounds now, a muffler delete will just be the same sound; only louder.

Changing the sound involves a different exhaust (axle or cat-back), or headers, or both. All of that though is way more expensive than just a muffler delete.

Something else to consider is your long-term goals for your exhaust. For example, if you plan on doing headers within the next year or so, I strongly suggest waiting and doing that first. It changes the sound pretty dramatically.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I'm still back and forth on the muffler delete... I called the muffler shop and he said cutting the mufflers off would sound more like a weed whacker than a muscle car. I understand just cutting the mufflers off after the resonators won't sound like a muscle car with headers/cam, but would it sound bad? The youtube clips seem to sound fine but you can't really tell on a computer. What's everyone's honest opinion of cutting the mufflers off after the resonators?
I just had my muffler and resonator delete and man WOW!!!
Heads are turning YEAH BOY..... lol