Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #435
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
This noise/feeling.... happened once a month ago, soon after the tranny was installed. Never before with the Manual. then didnt really feel it again until last week and it has been getting more and more frequent, it will stop for a day, then happens for a few miles and stop again. This I thought was odd.

It sounded like metal on metal to me, my buddy Nick, most of you know, is a car guru and he also was having a hard time pin pointing it. It was a metal on somthing sound, kind of like a dull grinding, or more of a strong "sliding". I could feel it in my seat and through the shifter, but he was in the back and said he felt is real strong in the rear seat. and I want to say it got worse when I down shifted. Then it went away.

Two days later I got in it and drove around the lake twice and through town, about 20miles, no noise. Then I did a burnout through all 4 gears, (if something is gonna break, its gonna break no matter what right), once the smoke exited the car I went back into town, got an ice cream cone, then headed back up to my house.

300 ft from my driveway I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and it was the same noise but way worse, so i up shifted to 3rd, it was still making it, but a little less pronounced. Down shifted to 2nd in front of my house, my parents heard it making noise from the yard, then shifted down to 1st and it jerked and I thought it was going stop dead in its tracks.

I parked it on a ledge in our driveway to let me look under the rear a bit easier only to find the drain plug is on the driverside right by the exhaust so quickly checking the fluid for metal shavings was not gonna happen, specially since it was hot.

Ideas?
I dont want to lead you to my theory of rear end, but open to what you think. I have full faith in ARD, so I am sure its not the Trans, but you never know, I have had mechanical failures from Aftermarket part providers before. other than that, it only leaves driveshaft and rear end right? Nick mentioned that the rear end may have its own "clutch" in it?

I am sure that this trans is shifting and hitting way harder than I was shifting before, it is 700 at the wheels... that has to take hell of a toll on the stock rear end.

i just dont know what that sounds like.

First paragraph of this sounds a little familar

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...end/index.html
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #436
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Hell yeah, it looks good! But I just want the power adder that makes it necessary to HAVE that roll cage!
LMAO... that's why I don't have one yet... Owen keeps telling me I have a 10sec car and I keep telling him when I run it THEN I will get a cage...
Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #437
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
This noise/feeling.... happened once a month ago, soon after the tranny was installed. Never before with the Manual. then didnt really feel it again until last week and it has been getting more and more frequent, it will stop for a day, then happens for a few miles and stop again. This I thought was odd.

It sounded like metal on metal to me, my buddy Nick, most of you know, is a car guru and he also was having a hard time pin pointing it. It was a metal on somthing sound, kind of like a dull grinding, or more of a strong "sliding". I could feel it in my seat and through the shifter, but he was in the back and said he felt is real strong in the rear seat. and I want to say it got worse when I down shifted. Then it went away.

Two days later I got in it and drove around the lake twice and through town, about 20miles, no noise. Then I did a burnout through all 4 gears, (if something is gonna break, its gonna break no matter what right), once the smoke exited the car I went back into town, got an ice cream cone, then headed back up to my house.

300 ft from my driveway I down shifted from 3rd to 2nd and it was the same noise but way worse, so i up shifted to 3rd, it was still making it, but a little less pronounced. Down shifted to 2nd in front of my house, my parents heard it making noise from the yard, then shifted down to 1st and it jerked and I thought it was going stop dead in its tracks.

I parked it on a ledge in our driveway to let me look under the rear a bit easier only to find the drain plug is on the driverside right by the exhaust so quickly checking the fluid for metal shavings was not gonna happen, specially since it was hot.

Ideas?
I dont want to lead you to my theory of rear end, but open to what you think. I have full faith in ARD, so I am sure its not the Trans, but you never know, I have had mechanical failures from Aftermarket part providers before. other than that, it only leaves driveshaft and rear end right? Nick mentioned that the rear end may have its own "clutch" in it?

I am sure that this trans is shifting and hitting way harder than I was shifting before, it is 700 at the wheels... that has to take hell of a toll on the stock rear end.

i just dont know what that sounds like.

First paragraph of this sounds a little familar

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...end/index.html
Did the noise seem to change as the road speed changed? Or did it change as the driveline speed changed?
Give the driveshaft a good shake and twist and shove, might tell you something
... you're gonna freak if it's a twig in the suspension LOL (I hope for your sake it is)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #438
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Did the noise seem to change as the road speed changed? Or did it change as the driveline speed changed?
Give the driveshaft a good shake and twist and shove, might tell you something
... you're gonna freak if it's a twig in the suspension LOL (I hope for your sake it is)
it only seemed to do it during my decel, usually under 30mph.
it def changed when I shifted down.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #439
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
it only seemed to do it during my decel, usually under 30mph.
it def changed when I shifted down.
Did it sound faster when you downshifted? Or just louder?

Get that mean machine on jackstands and do some shake rattle jerk push shove spinning. Put it in neutral and spin the tires and listen.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #440
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Man... I skipped over your long one earlier... give Owen a call. Your rear end theory sounds very possible...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #441
SSMagna
FAST1

Drives: ADM LSX 427 Twin Turbo #1
Man, It's always something! The more you do the more sh_t happens! Good luck finding the problem.
SSMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #442
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Man... I skipped over your long one earlier... give Owen a call. Your rear end theory sounds very possible...
Nick and I talked to him tonight... we have some investigation to do.. but I was pretty sick to my stomach when he said that the Linginfelter Rear end is around 7k.... FML
Old 06-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #443
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Shit.

Shit.

SHIT.

Gah............. dude. SUCKS.

Hope it's not much problem.

But did I read it right? You said it seemed to stop suddenly on it's own when you went to first gear? Cause that's definitely a problem if so.

Shit.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #444
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Shit.
Shit.
SHIT.
Gah............. dude. SUCKS.
Hope it's not much problem.
But did I read it right? You said it seemed to stop suddenly on it's own when you went to first gear? Cause that's definitely a problem if so.
Shit.
oh yea... its def a problem. big problem. but it will get worked out.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #445
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Ughhh... yeah those 9" rear ends are not cheap... Just get yours fixed and then keep your foot out of if for a while and see how it goes...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #446
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
I'd go with the DSS's 9" kit for about 5g's. It is a pretty nice set-up. You do have to by the third member still, but I think you can get it from them now for extra cash! I got mine from Moser and spent about another 3 grand for a aluminum bolt thru housing with a WaveTrac posi unit. Aluminum saved like 12lbs and the WaveTrac comes with a lifetime warranty.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #447
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
I'd go with the DSS's 9" kit for about 5g's. It is a pretty nice set-up. You do have to by the third member still, but I think you can get it from them now for extra cash! I got mine from Moser and spent about another 3 grand for a aluminum bolt thru housing with a WaveTrac posi unit. Aluminum saved like 12lbs and the WaveTrac comes with a lifetime warranty.
How does the Wavetrac compare to the TruTrac from Strange...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #448
TC

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS-RS
Lighter and stronger, gets the power to the ground more efficiently by not allowing all your power to be lost in a spinning tire. It corrects for it rather than sticking to a 1:1 ratio.
I honestly have learned more about it since I purchased but what sold me initially was the warranty. I asked very specific questions about the coverage and every answer was- yes it's covered. For a company like Moser to stand behind there product like that tells me they have a lot of faith in it.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins