Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #15
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I heard about this on the radio tonight. I'm actually amazed to tell you the truth! Unless rabies played a part in this, I don't know what to say.

There used to be this one female I'd see all the time when I was out with my dog. When it was just he and I together, she'd come out. Neither her nor my male ever showed any aggression toward one another. However if she saw ANYONE else, or ANY other dog, she'd either take off, or go to ground.

These pics were when I was first learning how to use my camera...that's why they aren't very good. Plus the fact that we never really got very close to each other.

On a side note, a year to the day I took the photo of the runner in the backround, I saw this man again and gave him a copy of the last two photos that I had printed up and carried with me, 'cause I figured I'd see him again one day out there.

By the way, somebody did kill this coyote in the photos. :(
Attached Images

~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
This all happened just a few hours from where i live in the same province, sad news around here, and certainly not a common occurrence. I've been through Cape Breton an awful lot and it's the first time I've heard of an attack like that.

it's just a 5-6 hour drive from where i live
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Wow, that's crazy!
I saw a coyote down the street from house yesterday morning. The thing was the size of a German Shepherd in height. I didn't think they got that big?? The thing just watched me pass by with no problem.
Coywolf? And no I'm not kidding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657...ience-science/

I guess they're becoming more common and successful because they can scavenge successfully but they can also bring down bigger prey.

But as far as the article, there's a lot of coyotes around here too- never heard of anything like this before.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
Coywolf? And no I'm not kidding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657...ience-science/

I guess they're becoming more common and successful because they can scavenge successfully but they can also bring down bigger prey.

But as far as the article, there's a lot of coyotes around here too- never heard of anything like this before.
WOW!! Good read, I do live in the Northeast and that thing was big in height, like I mentioned earlier. The skull was pretty big as well. It was a light white/gray in color. It may have been a "coywolf"??
If I do see it again, I am letting the town officials know about it.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
LSXgirl

Drives: turbo'd 4 banger
That's crazy, the coyotes travel in pairs or 3-4, and they always run when they see a person. I tried to get one because I thought it was a loose dog until I saw it in the light and it was a coyote, it was scared shitless of me. This is the only case I've ever heard of a coyote killing anyone.
LSXgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
One of the many reasons I'll never traverse the backwoods unarmed...

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This is extremely rare and should be treated as such. Coyotes (and wild animals in general) are responsible for far fewer deaths than murderers are. Esentially, she was more likely to get gunned down in Toronto than getting killed by these animals. Or have a car accident on her way out there. Hell, she was more likely to die of swine flu than this. It was a freak accident. Obviously something wasn't quite right with those coyotes, they had to be either starving or rabid to consider attacking a human. Last I heard they think they caught one but I don't know if they found anything wrong with it, assuming it was one that was part of the attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
Odds are you won't have time to grab your gun if you are attacked. Going to be too busy protecting your face and neck.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #22
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post

There used to be this one female I'd see all the time when I was out with my dog. When it was just he and I together, she'd come out. Neither her nor my male ever showed any aggression toward one another. However if she saw ANYONE else, or ANY other dog, she'd either take off, or go to ground.

:(

You mentioned the Coyote you saw was a female. Usually when the females see Males they lay down to Show who is Alfa Dog. They do this to people as well.

I own a 4.5 year old Timberwolf .
106lbs clubed feet , Ears facial hair , eyes and omfg the Teeth.

To people she is SCARED to death she will make her noise kind of a half bark and circle you. Not because she is going to hurt you but because she is scare and not sure.

I named her wolfie. She has a distinctive smell you can bath her 2 days later its back. Every animal around her knows what she is. Neighbors cats stay in there own yard.
Last year she was outside and 3 coyotes attacked her however she held her ground and killed the 3 of them. The neighbors saw the whole thing and told me. She had bite marks to the neck and back but thats it. Probably the sweetest animal I have ever owned you just got to have patience to own an animal like this.

Why these animals attacked this girl I dont know normally they are more scare of you than you are of them. However I have been told Coyotes get in packs and get fearless when they know they can gang up on you.

I hate this for the Family of the girl.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
Hell, I don't travel the FRONT woods unarmed. City, County, Countryside, Woods...... I'm packin'
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #24
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Hell, I don't travel the FRONT woods unarmed. City, County, Countryside, Woods...... I'm packin'
LMAO
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Beautiful animals. Use to 'call' them as a teenager. I wonder if they were rabid?
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Living in Az you get real used to "living" with coyote's.... I have never heard of them attacking a person!
we had a pack that lived behind our house... they were always sneaking in yards and snatching up small pets...

Finally the county relocated them after they tried to get a small child while the parents were near...

But I've never heard of them going after a person like that...[/
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #27
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I carry a gun in the backwoods. Usually it's a territory thing for animals and you have a surprising amount of time to prepare yourself as animals will flash displays at you as long as you don't surprise them. Most of the time you can make yourself big and back away. Sometimes they keep coming though, and if nothing else having a gun in your hand keeps you from turning and running (where you will find yourself on the menu for sure).

The only N. American wild animals that I know of that actually hunt people are mountain lions and alligators, and alligators is a stretch- they just get lucky sometimes. Out of all the animals in the areas I go to, the one that makes me the most cautious is Moose. Those bastards will just go straight at you with no warning. I never even thought twice about Coyotes though.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #28
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
It was HIS will.

Now we can all learn and gain something from this.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote