Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I'm always surprised at the perception of overlap between the Corvette and Camaro. They share an engine, and both have 4 wheels, two doors, and come from a Chevrolet dealership, but really, don't the similarities end there? The 'Vette is a sports car, plain and simple, and the Camaro is a GT. To me, it seems you buy them for two different purposes and they drive differently. When I sat in the Camaro, I never got the feeling i was sitting in a Corvette competitor, other than a little bit of similarity in the width perception and view over the hood.

there is one more overlap. and thats the main one...the potential buys...
chevy loyalists looking for a performance car
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Well, if you could buy a C5 Z06 Vette for under $30K, and it happened to have at least 400+ to the rear wheels, and less than 40K miles, it would be a tough decision.

The C5 is proven. The SS has not been.

But for that price point, I'd rather buy a Garage Queen C6Z06 STOCK for around $42K and take my chances with the "roof fly" and the rocker arm destruction, and the "marbles in a can" rear end issues, and the low oil pressure mystery condition due to the dry-sump, and the loose bolts on the wheels and suspension, and the "Active Service Handling" issue, and the fumes from the glue that hold the rear trunk to the frame, and the window indexing issues, and the clutch stuck to the floor issues.....well. never mind.

Otherwise, If we are talking "Want" Vs. "Not," I "Want" an IBM SS with white stripes and ~some~ mods to boot.

(first thing will be alternator cable and half-shafts mods, from the factory)

Second thing will be ...WAIT!! Let me first, and I will get back to you.

GET A CAMARO!!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #17
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
Well, if you could buy a C5 Z06 Vette for under $30K, and it happened to have at least 400+ to the rear wheels, and less than 40K miles, it would be a tough decision.

The C5 is proven. The SS has not been.

But for that price point, I'd rather buy a Garage Queen C6Z06 STOCK for around $42K and take my chances with the "roof fly" and the rocker arm destruction, and the low oil pressure mystery condition due to the dry-sump, and the loose bolts on the wheels and suspension, and the "Active Service Handling" issue, and the fumes from the glue thathold the rear trunk to the frame, and the window indexing issues, and the .....well. never mind.

Otherwise, If we are talking "Want" Vs. "Not," I "Want" an IBM SS with white stripes and ~some~ mods to boot.

(first thing will be alternator cable and half-shafts mods, from the factory)

Second thing will be ...WAIT!! Let me first, and I will get back to you.

GET A CAMARO!!
Roof Fly is only on some 06 z06 models and it's a free fix if it has not already been done(go to dealer and check to see if it has been corrected and if not they will fix it for free)..and there is alot of other misinformation in your post
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #18
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Roof Fly is only on some 06 z06 models and it's a free fix if it has not already been done(go to dealer and check to see if it has been corrected and if not they will fix it for free)..and there is alot of other misinformation in your post
I know. I'm just tryin to be funny. ALL cars have their issues, right?

I wants Me a Camaro!!!

Cheers, man. And you are correct. I was over-exagerating.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #19
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
I know. I'm just tryin to be funny. ALL cars have their issues, right?

I wants Me a Camaro!!!

Cheers, man. And you are correct. I was over-exagerating.
lmao
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 AM   #20
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Meh, vettes have never been my style. Far to refined. I'd get the camaro many times before a vet. I don't really like their body stylings either, never have.

I like seat of my pants all over the place action. Guess I need to get a trophy truck and race the baja.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #21
FordDave

Drives: 2010 Mustang V6 Pony
Would love a vette, but can't bring myself to pay $70k CAD for a bare bones base model. I'd rather have a shelby or a cayman -- more practical cars, and arguable better $/performance for their respective strengths.

That said, if you negotiate wisely, as per the previous commenters, you could get yourself a really sweet 2009 corvette deal... let them sweat a bit.

Sadly i don't think we'll see surplus camaros until spring 2010 given the low production output + demand + q/c issues. You're probably better off stalling your purchase 6-12 months if you can be patient.
FordDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
alrox

Drives: corvette
The 1lt vette has the same, if not better, features that you will actually use than a Camaro 2SS and is a far superior performer.

Spend a little extra and get the Corvette.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I just sold my 2007 1LT black C6 M6 coupe for the Camaro. I have not driven a SS yet but so what. I drove a 1LT Camaro and i know i love how it drives and feels. I sat in several 2SS/2LT cars so I know the seats are far superior to the base seats in the base Corvette but... don't kid yourself:

#1 a "base" Camaro and a "base" Corvette are not the same. Most desired options are in the 1LT Corvette. The rest is BS. I didn;t even have the Z51 pkg but you know what, you don;t need it. 99.9% of drives won't/couldn't drive even a base corvette to its limit in stock form. I know I coldn't.

#2 a Camaro is a muscle/pony car. A Corvette is a SPORTS car. It will out run, out corner, out stop, out perform in all ways a Camaro.

#3 With the Corvette comes some bad stereotypes... daddys car, penis envy, cocky ass...etc. I am only 32 and somethimes hated driving the corvette b/c of this. just be prepared if you get a corvette...

I tapped out of Corvette ownership after having a 67 coupe, a 92 coupe, a 95 coupe, a 2000 coupe and a 2007 coupe for the camaro for several reason...

-I have 2 other Camaros and want all 5.
-The new Camaro is totally bad ass looking and so comfortable.
-The Corvette many be faster but seriously do I need 192 mph at my disposal? I think 155 is pleanty.
-The non-sport seats in the C6 SUCK!
-I was sick of black
-and on and on

This question has no answer. They are differnt. Utopia would be both but I can't afford that. In the end, you can't go wrong with eitehr on.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Camaro definitely steals the show this year and maybe next. With that said the Vette will be faster and handle better, due to its weight and suspension. But If you ask me, not being biased the camaro looks better hands down.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #25
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Camaro definitely steals the show this year and maybe next. With that said the Vette will be faster and handle better, due to its weight and suspension. But If you ask me, not being biased the camaro looks better hands down.
but...

That may wear off. Corvettes are timeless. When the Camaro is mainstream, the Corvette may steal the show back but for now...

PS... after 1 week without the C6 and no Camaro yet, I do not miss the corvette at all! Just patiently waiting for the Camaro. The week of 8/3 may pan out to be very good. The IROC is going in to get the tranny fixed on the 4th so she should be back on the road. Tranny acted up on Power Tour 2009 and has been laid up since June.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #26
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown

Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
Simply two different animals
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.700rwhp/712rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #27
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
I have a camaro on order. Unfortunately, i found a 2008 Black/Black MN6 LS3 Vette for the same price as a new Camaro 2SS. I'm gonna take it. Camaro is just taking way too long to get produced.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Quackaddict

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS Black on Black
I would take the camaro but that is because I have to have more than 2 seats, but I was at my local dealer and let me tell you a lady had just bought a '10 Camaro 2SS in black with the black factory 21's and a body kit with 900 miles that she was trading in because she wanted a Vette.