Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Full Cradle Bushings vs. Cradle Bushing inserts?

Before I spend 160$ on some inserts, I wanted to know if they will work for what I'm trying to accomplish. I have the power to make it into the mid 11's, but not the suspension setup. The car is a Daily Driver, so obviously I don't want a lot of NVH (already have the cam as NVH lol), but I also don't want to waste money on something that won't help me with my ultimate goal. I understand that inserts are better than just the OEM units by themselves, but what do you guys recommend? I am not an avid drag racer. I may go to the track 2-3 times a year If I feel like it.

BTW, I already have BMR sways, BMR Trailing arms with the outer bushings, and just ordered BMR toe rods today.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
I'm going to install the solid subframe bushings from Pfadt in my daily driver, and be done with it (although this approach is a bit more pricey than inserts). I have seen many posts from people who have these solid Pfadt bushings in a daily driver and yet don't see a significant increase in NVH (if any).
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Pedder's says inserts are good up to 500hp, after that go full bushing.

You're right on the cusp, inserts are a much easier install and cheaper and do provide alot more support- but not as much as a full bushing.

One thing's for sure with 2010 models- you need something in the subframe to tighten things up! You will feel a difference.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Pedder's says inserts are good up to 500hp, after that go full bushing.

You're right on the cusp, inserts are a much easier install and cheaper and do provide alot more support- but not as much as a full bushing.

One thing's for sure with 2010 models- you need something in the subframe to tighten things up! You will feel a difference.
So do you think I should go with Inserts for right now, and then later down the road switch to a full bushing? That's what I'm contemplating right now. I also plan on doing RUCA bushings as well. Just trying to get this thing to hook. Couldn't stop wheel hopping at the track last weekend.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Just trying to get this thing to hook. Couldn't stop wheel hopping at the track last weekend.
Stronger rear trailing arms and tie rods are also helpful for addressing wheel hop.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I've done the Pedders inserts in my 2010 SS. Granted, that decision was made over a year before I did any performance upgrades. The inserts did make a big difference with the feel of the car, but no real change in road noise.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
Stronger rear trailing arms and tie rods are also helpful for addressing wheel hop.
Yep, I already have BMR trailing arms, and ordered BMR toe rods this morning (at the bottom of my first post, lol). I found out though, they are good at addressing wheel hop at "Bolt on" levels, but after that, you need a combination of bushings,arms, rods, and tires to really eliminate "wheel hop". I'm not saying the trailing arms didn't help me last weekend, but when I shifted second gear, I had to let out of it a few times to avoid breaking something.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Ventmaster

I am very happy with my inserts but I'm sure many V8 guys will tell you they're not enuff. I think they provide the best compromise between control and ride quality. (my car's putting 400hp to the ground)

To control your hop you're gonna have to get some new trailing arms and toe rods I'm afraid, but they are also worth the cost and an easy DIY!

There are many options on the brand trailing arms, but be sure to upgrade the outside bushing too, and Chevy upgraded the toe rods for the ZL1 and it will bolt right into your car with no problems. Check with your local dealer- the cost is surprisingly low!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I am very happy with my inserts but I'm sure many V8 guys will tell you they're not enuff. I think they provide the best compromise between control and ride quality. (my car's putting 400hp to the ground)

To control your hop you're gonna have to get some new trailing arms and toe rods I'm afraid, but they are also worth the cost and an easy DIY!

There are many options on the brand trailing arms, but be sure to upgrade the outside bushing too, and Chevy upgraded the toe rods for the ZL1 and it will bolt right into your car with no problems. Check with your local dealer- the cost is surprisingly low!
Yall are killing me, LOL.

The bottom of my post already stated that I have BMR trailing Arms WITH outer Trailing Arm bushings.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
AG1LE

Old 11-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Ventmaster

Hey this forum's for motorheads, LOL. You're lucky we can type!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
If I'm going to go through the trouble of dropping the cradle I would just go ahead and put full bushings in. You've got it dropped just go ahead and heat the cradle up with a Lowes propane torch and push them out with a socket and floor jack. That's what I did.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
If I'm going to go through the trouble of dropping the cradle I would just go ahead and put full bushings in. You've got it dropped just go ahead and heat the cradle up with a Lowes propane torch and push them out with a socket and floor jack. That's what I did.
Do you have a DIY thread, or know of a good one?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Get whiteline bushings. Cheaper then others and high durameter
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote