Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #43
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
ABS would be great on a first bike for sure!

As far as sport bike, cruiser, etc., I look at it as conventional upright seating position (cruiser), and heels-in-yer-butt forward lean position (sport). It looks like your two choices follow that train of thought, top bike looks conventional, bottom looks more sport bike position.

I'm getting up in age, my back & knees don't like the forward lean for very long. You go on with your hotrod, I'll putter along and watch the back door
I know what you mean, I ride a CBR1000rr with quite a radical seating position and rear sets setup for the track but I've been doing it for years and my rides aren't as long as they used to be. Lol
The first bike pictured is a pretty standard seating position allowing a slight forward lean. The second bike looks like a full Sportbike, but note the higher (not clip on) bars and the pegs are not far to the rear, it's quite a relaxed position but if you've got a gut, the big tank gets in the way.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #44
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: '13 1LS
I'll have to also recommend starting on something small. I realize the OP isn't interested in any kind of "sportbike" but honestly, you're going to get way more for the bike than what you pay for.

Especially with the offerings from Kawasaki. You can't beat the prices for the used 250's and the new 300's are slick looking little bikes.

I'm going to also echo what others have said as well. Buy used and don't worry about dropping the bike. Invest in good riding gear(but not too expensive) and be prepared for the inevitable and that is, you're going to end up going down sooner or later.

Once you've got a season or two under your belt. Then upgrade to a better bike and also better riding gear.

You can snag good helmets for under $200 and a riding jacket, gloves and pants for all under $500. Boots are about the only thing that will cost you, but there are companies out there making entry level riding gear that will save you money.

Helmets like KBC, HJC, Skorpion, Nolan, Z1R, AGV and others all offer good entry level helmets. Not that Arai, Shoei or Suomy don't but chances are you'll pay $300+ for any of these three companies entry level helmets.

Same goes with riding gear. Joe Rocket, Cortech, AGV, Teknic, all offer entry level riding gear that's affordable and will keep you safe. Again stay away from higher end gear companies like Dainese, Alpinstars, Spidi, Rev It Up!, and even Joe Rocket's race level gear.

Boots, are pretty simple. Sidi would be the company I'd recommend but they also have entry level boots to boots that will drop your jaw in terms of price and performance. But Joe Rocket, Cortech, Gaerne(hard to find) all make good entry level boots.

And also, if you want the max protection, it means wearing your gear "AGATT"(All Gear, All The Time). Normally in town when commuting to work, I wear my helmet, jacket and gloves(street riding gloves). It's mainly just easier so I don't have to change from my full suit at work.

In the mountains or at the race track, I'm in my full suit, boots, gloves(full gauntlet race) and race helmet.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

The Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #45
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I am getting used first, for sure. I just starting looking at gear. Even more decisions. Lol
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #46
mikerogs

Drives: Black 2SS
How about this sweet ride?

This might be a little too much power.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #47
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I forgot to mention a ducati Monster a nice used one as well.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #48
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
My first motorcycle was a Harley Sporty. 883 rode that thing to Sturgis and back twice. Then a Roadking then a Street Glide Now a CAMARO convertible.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #49
jayb53guy

Drives: 2013 ZL1
It doesn't cost anything to go to a dealer and sit on a few different bikes and see what is appealing to you. I have had quite a few in my day, mostly Harleys, I have a 2012 street glide now. Like everyone else is saying you will outgrow a little bike real quick, so you may want to go medium level. Go check out the 1200 sportys and even the dynas. The more seat time you get the more comfortable you will become.
jayb53guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #50
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
I am getting used first, for sure. I just starting looking at gear. Even more decisions. Lol
Lot's of good advice given here.
Especially those that have suggested taking a class.
I have been riding a long time, the street is a lot more dangerous now than it used to be (talking/texting on phone, peoples bad/angry attitudes, inattention etc.).

There is an old saying-The closest you will ever come to being invisible is on a motorcycle.

Anyway, gear...Good resource with the videos :
http://www.revzilla.com/sportbike-gear
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #51
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Like a few who have mentioned already. Go with a honda shadow 750. It's a bike you will fit on and be comfortable from the beginning and still have some power to cruise. These can be found for $2500-3000, perhaps less, in excellent shape and others have already taken the depreciation hit. Honda reliability to boot, you won't be disappointed.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #52
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Boy, this thread got some leg. But really glad it did. Some really good information on here for people thinking about a first bike.

Mine went like this, I had wanted a Harley since I was 14. Then when I was 31, in 2009, I was watching Renegade on DVD one night and said to heck with it. Looked on the internet, picked one out, went and looked on a Sunday, bought it the next day.

Honestly, not at all the best way to do it. I should have looked for some advice like is on this thread. So, good info for a newb.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #53
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Honestly, not at all the best way to do it.
Lol, My first bike was a Norton chopper.
Bought it when I was 17......
Yeah, my Dad was pissed.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #54
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
As someone who's owned a few bikes, I'll share my thoughts.

Something like this would be a great beginners bike. It was by far one of the most fun things with wheels I've owned. I will say however, not a great highway bike. Being able to screw around off road a bit was a blast and the thing cornered better than most sport bikes. Very easy to ride, not enough power to really get carried away. They can be had for pretty cheap too. As long as you change the oil regularly they run for a long time too.

Plus you can put knobbies on it and really have a good time.

Not a beginners bike.

This one was a lot of fun, easy to ride but I found that I'm just not comfortable on cruisers in any way. It handled surprisingly well and was pretty quick. I just hate the riding position.

Those 250 sport bikes can be fun, but if I had to do it all over again I'd pick an enduro or supermoto type for my first bike. They're fairly light, maneuverable, easy on gas and insurance, a blast to ride and they're relatively cheap.
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #55
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Boy, this thread got some leg. But really glad it did. Some really good information on here for people thinking about a first bike.

Mine went like this, I had wanted a Harley since I was 14. Then when I was 31, in 2009, I was watching Renegade on DVD one night and said to heck with it. Looked on the internet, picked one out, went and looked on a Sunday, bought it the next day.

Honestly, not at all the best way to do it. I should have looked for some advice like is on this thread. So, good info for a newb.
I ended up getting into motorcycles just by chance. I was getting a divorce and moving out of my house into an apartment with a small garage. I had a 21 foot boat that I had to sell because I couldn't store it anywhere. The guy who wanted to buy it had a motorcycle forsale. He was having a baby and his wife told him he had to find a safer hobby. He asked if I would knock $1000 off the price of the boat if he gave me his motorcycle. It was a 1997 CBR600 F3. I agreed. I figured I could probably get more than the $1000 for it. It had been sitting in my garage for about 2 months, when I decided to organize the garage. At this point I had never even sat on it. I figure, "what the hell". I started it up, through on the helmet and gloves that came with it and drove around the apartment complex. After that I decided to get my license and ride.