Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
metaphysician

Drives: 2SSRS CGM & Harley Crossbones
Potential new buyer - please help with some concerns/questions

I am seriously considering buying a new Camaro. A 2SSRS manual in CGM with sunroof, midnight silver wheels, black leather. However, I have a few concerns I was hoping you guys would help me with. This car would be my daily driver, year-round. I usually take the bus to work everyday so I would just be driving to the park-and-ride. The Camaro would be used for any other driving - around town and whatever trips the trunk can accomodate! My girlfriend has a small Hyundai Accent sedan.

Delaware has temps between the 30s and 50s for 3-4 months in the winter. I am concerned about this car in the cold and snow/ice. I've read that the stock P Zeros are a no go below 40 degrees. So this would not be good for a few months for me. Should I get a different set of all season or winter tires (if they exist) for the winter months and have someone put them on stock 20" wheels? Not really looking forward to the extra $$ to buy a second set of 19-20" wheels so I would prefer to just swap tires on the same pair of wheels.

I was also trying to time this order as best I can. If I order soon, the car would probably be ready in November - the start of our winter. I could order those all season/winter tires to be installed for when the car comes in. If I wait until Nov/Dec to order, the car would be ready when winter is ending and the stock rubber should be fine.

Another concern around timing is the life of my current car. I have a 96 Accord that may last another week or 5 years, who knows. What I do know is that I'm not putting anymore $ into it outside of gas and oil. The sooner I put my order in for a Camaro, the sooner I mitigate that risk of the Accord failing. Worst-case, my girlfriend and I work with having one car while I wait.

What do you guys think? Thanks a lot for your advice!
metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
If you're concerned about the tires, you CAN get a set of all seasons (yokohama makes a set, they're on tirerack)...and you could either swap your pirelli's back on in the spring or just sell them. I'm sure you could order them and have the dealer swap them on when you car comes in.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
JJB

Drives: '15 BMW 228i
I can't answer all your questions, but you can get some all season tires for those wheels. The Yokohama Parada Spec-X is an example.

I'm personally going to get a < $1,000 beater for snowy days.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
do the minimal necessary work on the accord to keep it going during the winter. cash for clunkers is over, and it will keep you from buying snow tires.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Keep the Accord running for your winter car.
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Cricket912

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
I agree, keep the Accord, store the Camaro in the garage. Thats what I plan on doing
Old 08-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
metaphysician

My accord wasn't eligible for cash for clunkers, otherwise it would've been gone!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
metaphysician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket912 View Post
I agree, keep the Accord, store the Camaro in the garage. Thats what I plan on doing
I have a one-car garage and there's no room for the Camaro :( The Harley has to stay dry and there are a lot of tools, especially my table saw and workbench.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Cricket912

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I have a one-car garage and there's no room for the Camaro :( The Harley has to stay dry and there are a lot of tools, especially my table saw and workbench.
Car cover!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
metaphysician

I just measured again and I might be able to squeeze her in. Just have to disassemble my workbench and move some stuff around. The bike can go on rollers and be stored at the front of the garage.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
If you can't manage to keep a second car, a good set of all seasons should be fine for those moderate winters you have. If you do get all seasons (or winters) get another set of wheels too, preferably steelies. It won't look sexy but it will be better for the stock wheel's and tires. Narrower, heavier wheels give better traction in poor conditions.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Let me ask you this. What are your plans for the Accord? If you don't need to sell it keep it for your second/winter beater......Hey beats buying a second set of tires, plus keeps the Camaro in for the winter....
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Vuron00

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT
You can go to tirerack.com and choose a winter wheel/tire package. Most things that I've read suggest getting smaller wheels for snow. I'm doing it and picking a cheap rim. the link is http://www.tirerack.com/snow/changeo...=true&index=xx

Before you order your car, you'll want to go to the ordering section of Camaro5.com and read everything you can on allocation, dealers, and ordering. You'll need to know everything to ask the dealer in order to get your car when you're expecting.

Good luck.
Vuron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
bbossman

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/Rs
I agree keep the accord and run it into the ground and instead of driving the camaro in the winter. I am doing that with my 02 mustang gt while my baby stays in the garage!
bbossman is offline   Reply With Quote