Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If V8s are not going anywhere then why is it that The 2013 Jaguar XF (which has always had a five liter V-8 or larger) will come standard with a 2.0 liter four next year and have an optional six cylinder around 3 liters? Why has Lexus discontinued offering a V-8 as an upgrade in the 2013 GS series sport sedan, offering only V-6 (and hybrid) power now. Why has Audi scrapped the A8's 4.2 liter V-8, in favor of replacing it with a V-6.

It sounds like for some reason less and less V8s will be available as options, and that only very limited production cars with very high pricetags will be the only cars with a V8 to choose.

I have been saying for some time that soon the ZL1 will be the only Camaro with a V8 and the SS will be a 6 and the LS will be a 4. Expect this to happen in the next 10 years.
Then why invest all the money in the Gen V V8?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
The orange Mustang photo is from 2005.
Thats not a 2005 Mustang photo. I know I owned one.
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
First off, I totally understand that some buyers just want a V8 and nothing else....I get it. Nothing wrong with that.

But anyone who thinks the next gen Mustang or Camaro will be slow dogs with the turbo 4 needs to get educated. First off these cars will be much lighter than the current cars. I predict the base Mustang to be in the 3,200 to 3,400 lb range and the base Camaro to be somewhere around 3,350 to 3,450 lbs (this based off the new ATS weight which is under 3,400lbs in its base form).

With that kind of weight, it won't take more than 260/260 HP/TQ to match or get pretty close to the peformance of today's V6 cars. But anyone who knows anything about these particular Ford/GM knows these little 4 bangers are capable of going well over 300/300 fairly reliably...and thats with a very broad TQ range to boot. Now your looking at a base car that can put a woopin on today's V6s. GM even offered a warried tune on their 2.0 litre that brought the power to 300/320 (might be a bit off on those power figures.)

What has me excited is that so far evidence seems to point that both Ford and GM will be including turbo 4s, V6, and V8 engines for their next gens....and so now we have plenty of engine options. The more the merrier. By then, I'd expect even more performance from the V6. I'd suspect GM's V6 to be at least in the 330 - 340 HP range. Put that in a car weighing 300 lbs less than today's car and now you have another good performing car at a good price.

Not much to say about the V8 options, other than I can't imagine them being anything other than ridiculously fast. They wouldn't even need to bump the power. The lighter chasis would make enough of a difference in itself. I'd expect the SS to be in the 3,550 to 3,650 lb range.

As for looks...nobody really knows what the next car is going to look like...other than it being a bit smaller than the current car. Lets just pray they don't screw up the look of the next gen, as ultimately thats what drives a large portion of the sales.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
Its a concept photo from when the 2005's came out.

Here is more info:
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...g-by-giugiaro/
Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
It was a concept Mustang. Fabrizio Giugiaro created that concept. The photo is from 2005.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

I remember when the first pictures of the 5th gen came out. I thought it looked really close to Giugiaro's concept Mustang.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
First off, I'll be shocked if the Mustang is much lighter. Unless they make it smaller still, just adding the IRS will add 50 to 100 pounds they will have to take out elsewhere (just one reason the Camro is heavier today) .

Also, when I had my Sky Redline with the GMPP calibration (290 HP) I was able to pull with an SS on Woodward. Not saying it was a race or what would have happened other than a little pull off the line, but the 3,000 pound Kappa with 290 HP was a pretty nice package. Not the same as a V8, but a lot of fun and fast.

This is pretty much the going response to CAFE and Green House Gas regulations. To get the mileage required to meet that standard will require extraordinary measures. You will likely see V8s.................but you will also likely have to pay more for them.

V8s will likely be there simply for the people that need trucks and vans to do real work. You can't tow or haul at "business" levels with 6s and turbo 4s. And don't anyone come back with "but Ford has an ecoboost v6...........". That isn't a "business" level truck. Business level is what drives folks to 25 and 35 Series trucks and vans which also get you the choice of those nice diesels.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Mustang....and even Mustang GT...has a history of turbo 4's. The 84-86 SVO Mustangs were exclusively turbo 4s, and a similar engine was an option in the 83 and 84 Mustang GT.

As for weight....everything we're hearing says the Mustang will be 200-400 lbs lighter than the current car - even with the IRS. In fact, properly engineered into a chassis that is designed to accomodate it, the IRS should not add much weight over the live axle. The 99/01 and 03/04 Cobra IRS was a 'band-aid' system that had to be bolted to a chassis that was never designed to handle it, thus the cars gained ~90 lbs with the IRS added.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Ha. There will be hundreds of 2.0 emblems spotted on 2014 Mustangs.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
First off, I totally understand that some buyers just want a V8 and nothing else....I get it. Nothing wrong with that.

But anyone who thinks the next gen Mustang or Camaro will be slow dogs with the turbo 4 needs to get educated. First off these cars will be much lighter than the current cars. I predict the base Mustang to be in the 3,200 to 3,400 lb range and the base Camaro to be somewhere around 3,350 to 3,450 lbs (this based off the new ATS weight which is under 3,400lbs in its base form).

With that kind of weight, it won't take more than 260/260 HP/TQ to match or get pretty close to the peformance of today's V6 cars. But anyone who knows anything about these particular Ford/GM knows these little 4 bangers are capable of going well over 300/300 fairly reliably...and thats with a very broad TQ range to boot. Now your looking at a base car that can put a woopin on today's V6s. GM even offered a warried tune on their 2.0 litre that brought the power to 300/320 (might be a bit off on those power figures.)

What has me excited is that so far evidence seems to point that both Ford and GM will be including turbo 4s, V6, and V8 engines for their next gens....and so now we have plenty of engine options. The more the merrier. By then, I'd expect even more performance from the V6. I'd suspect GM's V6 to be at least in the 330 - 340 HP range. Put that in a car weighing 300 lbs less than today's car and now you have another good performing car at a good price.

Not much to say about the V8 options, other than I can't imagine them being anything other than ridiculously fast. They wouldn't even need to bump the power. The lighter chasis would make enough of a difference in itself. I'd expect the SS to be in the 3,550 to 3,650 lb range.

As for looks...nobody really knows what the next car is going to look like...other than it being a bit smaller than the current car. Lets just pray they don't screw up the look of the next gen, as ultimately thats what drives a large portion of the sales.
My problem isn't the performance of turbo4s, its the added cost, weight, and complexity for little to no benefit in a car that will have to house bigger engines anyways.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
One would think that before Ford put a turbo 4 in the Mustang, they'd have gone through the complexity, cost, and weight issues, and have come to the conclusion that it makes sense. Then again, stranger things have happened.....
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
maybe this ecoboost will actually be good on fuel.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
This is pretty much the going response to CAFE and Green House Gas regulations. To get the mileage required to meet that standard will require extraordinary measures. You will likely see V8s.................but you will also likely have to pay more for them.
Okay, I am only going off of what I read on wikipedia (I know - shame on me..); but, it says that the fine for not meeting the requirement ends up being $55 per mpg under the CAFE requirement. This is the most simplistic way of looking at it, it doesn't bring in the fact of the rest of the corporate average. Which would definitely be HELPED by cars with a larger market share.

So lets say the average for a future v8 Camaro would be 25 mpg, or a $550 penalty (or increase in price passed onto consumers). How are car companies turning this into a "oh no, we can't do that without making it prohibitively expensive." Or leaving the only v8 for something like the zl1 model which is essentially tens of thousands more than the current base v8. It is like the whole gun issue with Obama. He is "anti-gun" but gun sales have never been higher - at a higher cost. I guess it is "good business" for the manufacturers...

Please pick apart this thinking and correct me where I'm wrong because if you can't, then...it is just really F'd up that manufacturers are doing this.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/8/23/2-...stang-7710397/

I have a bad feeling that Ford is going to have a hard time getting people to buy a Mustang that looks like this. We will see once they show the official concept if it looks more like a Mustang or not but so far it doesnt look too good from the exterior. The headlights look like the current Taurus's and the rest just looks too much like the Evos concept. Also GM has a new Turbo 4 cylinder already in the works or done too so looks like we will have 4's, 6's, & 8's. I bet the V6 wont be around much longer.
I honestly think if they come out with a stang like that it will be selling like hotcakes.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #28
KXRM

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
It's 1984 all over again for the mustang.

I4 turbo, V6 and a 5.0 V8 option. Spooky. I'll laugh if they call the I4 Turbo an SVO.

Let's just hope we don't get 1984 power levels this go around.
KXRM is offline   Reply With Quote