Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #127
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Engine choice, Pete? I'm stickin' with the LS7...

Built in these volumes (5000 or so), that's 5 TIMES the Z06. Contrary to other opinion, and even if "hand-built", unit co$t$ MUST be decreased...more blocks/heads/ti rods/cranks etc. And yes, there is some validation work to be done. But the vast majority of development has already been accrued, and can now be amortized over far more units, for whatever duration the LS7 remains (likely through balance of current-Gen Vette, approaching the next-Gen Camaro and therefore next-Gen engines). Compare the expendiency and costs to validating FOR PRODUCTION PURPOSES a "hot" LS3 (there IS a difference between Parts criteria and Production criteria, and the revised LS3 would have to be smog'd, which it currently isn't...LS7 is). Again, more torque (not inconsequential in a car of this size, regardless of its final Curb), more power more easily, more rev-able, and, at this unit size, not much (if any) more expensive at source.

If an LS7 CAN be made available, "within pricing/cost constraints", why wouldn't we want it?

BTW, Scoggin-Dickey sells a MAST-built LS3-based 427 with Eagle internals for $16,995. Makes 600hp. They ALSO sell a similarly-constructed and -pieced LS7-based 427 for the SAME PRICE. Power from the LS7 version? 650hp ...same price, same displacement, similar componenets! So which engine is the basis for greater potential?

You said the big word "IF". The original Z06 volumes were 1/3 of Corvette production or right around 10,000. Based on todays sales of the Corvette, any reasonable increase for this mythical Z28 production would barely bring it back up to the planned volumes.

Of course there are a lot of things between here and there or now and then so not saying it can't happen, it just won't be for the volumes reducing cost scenario.

And don't think I'm poo-pooing it. I love that engine. It's simply awesome in a Z06 and provides blistering acceleration. It would likely be noticeably less in a Camaro, but still......................

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Maybe the key to the Z28 is pre-orders. Say 5,000 pre-sold with non-refundable $5K deposits. Lock down the build sheet and limit the colors. They parade down the assembly line in an incredibly efficient process.

600 NA would make for an extraordinary Z28. Combine that kind of HP / TQ with new tranny and rear end gears... MONSTER Z28
See there you go making it something completely different. 600 NA HP would be more than the ZL1. And you don't have an engine that will do that. I'm told the LS7 is tapped out and it took titanium to get it rev that high and make that sweeeet sounding HP.

Quote:
I'm not suggesting, or expecting, 600+...it was intended as a comparison between LS3 blocks 'n stuff vs. LS7. LS3 is stouT...LS7 is REAL STOUT!

Streamlined, and/or "batch-built"...certainly easier for the CAW to sign up for!

BTW, I erred in my S-D pricing...the difference is actually $3,000 in favor of the '3...sorry. Which, all other things considered, is likely what the difference should be based on the recipes we are likely to see from GM. Personally, I'd pay $3Gs more for the LS7-Z/28 combo...50 warranted horsepower, that still has another 50 left for "tuning", is a pretty nice place to be for that lil difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Coming out of GM it would probably have 305/30/20s in the rear. That would be sufficient. If I had my choice we would be talking about a Z28 with a square setup 305/30/19s all around. With a boosted 600 like the Pedders Camaro powering out of the corners took a very measured throttle to control the boost coming on. With an NA setup it would be freaking sick to drive. I am thinking about canceling my ZL1 for the Z28 being built here.
Stop with the 600 already. You are creating expectation creep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I would be willing to bet that with 600 HP there would be quite a few people out driving their skill level realllll quick

The Z28 that is being built in here sounds pretty sweet to me. I guess we will have to wait and see if GM can make a case for it!

Maybe they will suprise us with a 5th GEN DI-V8..... what I can wish cant I???????
I can assure you that 600 HP is pretty much beyond a lot of people, me included. At that level you really need some SCCA training. And just for a point of reference, all CTF drivers for the ZR1 Corvette had to take such training prior to being handed the keys.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #128
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
What's that about, "GREAT minds think alike?" haha!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #129
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And just for a point of reference, all CTF drivers for the ZR1 Corvette had to take such training prior to being handed the keys.
I attended a Bondurant School that included more than one Vette Team member...

So, what you're saying above, Number 3, is that a Business Case supporting more utilization of LS7 "capacity" would be a good thing? Hmmmm...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #130
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Pete, that's the LAST thing GM wants to see in print!!! That's exactly why you'll not see any announcement (if there ever is one...) about a Z/28 till after ALL the '12 ZL1s are spoken for AND likely delivered...

Sadly...this recipe was good-to-go 18 months ago...but a suitable "fleet" of Camaros was not made available...and then Daddy BigBuck$ took his bat 'n ball home...

However, the price might have been a tad more than $45...
Ok, OK, I'll take two. A his Z28 and a Her ZL1
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #131
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

NOW yer talkin'...and I personally like the reference of a ZL1 being a HERS car!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #132
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Wow, it's great seeing the interest in this thread growing!
Its also nice to see others in agreement on the direction the Z28 should take. I know that the 427 Z28 would go down in muscle car history as one of GM's finest moments along with resurrecting the ZL1.
Good Times, Good Times.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #133
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I know that the 427 Z28 would go down in muscle car history as one of GM's finest moments .
Would anyone mind if I talked the Team into reserving me Serial Number ONE? It would be nice to see one of those go to a "regular guy", wouldn't it?!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #134
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Just leave the LS7 as it is.
Put it in a track/street designed (no roll cage needed) Camaro, throw the Z28 or Z/28 emblem on it and I'm out the door. (a happy camper, and I don't even camp)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #135
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
I can assure you that 600 HP is pretty much beyond a lot of people, me included. At that level you really need some SCCA training. And just for a point of reference, all CTF drivers for the ZR1 Corvette had to take such training prior to being handed the keys.
I honestly believe with the right suspension/tire set up we could get away with quite a bit less than 600 and still whoop the boss..... If that's what we are going for.... Orrrrr we could just make it 600 and go for world domination
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #136
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

^I'll take 505 please.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #137
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Would anyone mind if I talked the Team into reserving me Serial Number ONE? It would be nice to see one of those go to a "regular guy", wouldn't it?!
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!
Fightinfire921 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #138
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Not at all.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #139
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
All you would have to do is outbid Hendricks if there is ever such an occasion.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #140
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
All you would have to do is outbid Hendricks if there is ever such an occasion.
I almost thought your skipped up there, Jim...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro