Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Handheld Tuner FAQ - What To Look for When Buying Used

I've had a few people ask me the question lately, "Why are you selling your tuner so cheap?" So I wanted to create a small list of things to look for when purchasing a used handheld tuner in hopes that it may help new or inexperienced people who are looking to purchase a used tuner. If there is any incorrect information here or you think I should add something, feel free to let me know and I will make changes as necessary. With no further ramblings:

What does it mean when a tuner is Married or Un-Married? (This may also be referred to as "Locked" or "Un-Locked")
When a handheld unit is married, it means the tuner is locked in with a certain vehicle, it is "married" with their VIN number. To further explain, this means that someone has used the tuner to tune their car and has not returned their car back to the stock tune with the tuner. A unit is unmarried when: A. It is new. B. The owner has reloaded the stock tune on their car using the tuner. or C. The owner has sent the tuner back to the manufacturer and paid them a fee to unmarry it from their car.
Why does a used tuner cost so much less than a new one?
Typically when a tuner is purchased new from a performance shop, that performance shop will provide a free custom tune for your car. Some shops may charge extra fees for performance parts or modifications other than basic bolt-on performance parts. However, when a tuner is purchased from a different source than a given performance shop, most shops charge a fee of around $150 to $200 for that same tune they would have provided for free had you purchased the tuner from them. So, when someone sells a used tuner, they not only offset their price because the unit is used, they should also offset the price because the new user will likely have to purchase a tune from a performance shop.
Can I still use a handheld tuner without getting a custom tune?
Yes, an unmarried handheld tuner can be connected to your car and used to tune it with the settings and parameters provided by the individual unit.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR

Last edited by SNSSTR; 02-12-2014 at 02:41 PM.
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Nice Writeup!
Maybe you can have the mods make it a sticky