Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #1569
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
wow the vigorous discussion has gotten personal over what? a car's claim to fame.. I enjoy the biting sarcasm but not the personal attacks.. well maybe just a little . not sure what's wrong with a car pumping700 hps.. eventually the gm will come around lol..

peace on ya!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #1570
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Sounds exactly like the circus that GM put on with the ZL1. At least Dodge said the 10.8 was on DRs. Unlike GM saying the ZL1 ran 11's bone stock only to fine out that the 11 runs were on slicks. They all do it. You just don't see it when GM does it because you sleep in a bowtie shaped bed while cuddling with your "find new road" blanky, and that's fine. But they all do it.
The ZL1 ran 11's on stock Goodyear F1's (manual and auto). Shaved another tenth on Mickey Thompson's.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/04/2...11-93-seconds/

But yes these are marketing times and well short of what independent reviewers and typical owners run.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #1571
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
What's it to you that a race between a Shelby and Hellcat is on paper a driver's race?
THAT'S not what DODGE wants you to believe...is it?

I'll save your quote for posterity, if that's alright with you.

And Bob, I'm not defending the ZL1...am I? I've simply listed its w2p ratio...accurately. It's so far down the list @ 7.10, it's a wonder it can get out of it's own way...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 07-31-2014 at 08:33 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #1572
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
not sure what's wrong with a car pumping700 hps.. eventually the gm will come around lol...
Alpha Camaro @ 3800 lb. with an LT4 @ 650 hp = 5.85...on something greater than Camaro SS tires.

And, as has been suggested above, "stay tuned..." The very BEST is yet to come.

That's probably more than the Lancia-derived 2018 Challenger will boast...
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #1573
4VFTW
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Mustang GT
Autoblog says this about the ZL1...

"The very first pass we made netted us a time slip in the mid-12-second range. That's an impressive performance for a car wearing road-legal radial tires with zero preparation and a driver familiarizing himself with the car."

funny how people on this forum expect every magazine tester to jump in the Hellcat and bust off a 11.2 when apparently Autoblog never came close to an 11..that was done by GM engineers at some later time.
4VFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #1574
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

4-F, no one's touting the ZL1 against the GT500 and the Hellcat for OE 1/4-mile times...which simply means your quiver of arrows is now empty...

"11.2s! QUICKEST MUSCLE CAR EVER!" * **

* Some conditions apply. ** Your results may vary...
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #1575
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Tim to the rescue:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/dodge-ceo-ti...#axzz3963RYPMf
Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #1576
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VFTW View Post
Autoblog never came close to an 11..that was done by GM engineers at some later time.
With a video and time slip. Time mark 2:34

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fanGci1ATTc

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #1577
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #1578
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
The ZL1 ran 11's on stock Goodyear F1's (manual and auto). Shaved another tenth on Mickey Thompson's.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/04/2...11-93-seconds/

But yes these are marketing times and well short of what independent reviewers and typical owners run.
I'very seen the original gm video and all the back peddling articles and interviews later. You could tell those cars didn't have the factory tires on. Moral of the story is that they all do it. Did it keep me from buying a ZL1? Not at all. I know lot more are running in the 12's than 11s.

Will a ZL1 beat a Hellcat stock to stock somewhere on a drag strip in this world? Of course it will. Will it be a common occurrence? Not at all.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #1579
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Are drag radials really stock? Also, 11.9 as your best time isn't really running 11's "easily". Lol. That said, I'd take a zl1 over the hellcat.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #1580
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Well, thanks for all the support, here, folks. Almost 1600 posts...on a Camaro site...all about a DODGE!

Who'da thunk?

God that's almost as many as some Challenger sites have seen in a MONTH!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #1581
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Well, thanks for all the support, here, folks. Almost 1600 posts...on a Camaro site...all about a DODGE!

Who'da thunk?

God that's almost as many as some Challenger sites have seen in a MONTH!
Well the thread is about a Dodge. So what are we supposed to talk about? If it bugs you so much maybe you should lobby the administrator to lose the other cars section. I bet it wouldn't bug you so much to talk about Dodge if it had 707hp and only ran 13's.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #1582
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Autoblog editors come clean about their controversial automotive beliefs

Quote:
The Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Is Dumb

I don't hate speed. I certainly don't hate crazy horsepower numbers. And because it bears mentioning due to the car in question, no, folks, I don't hate America. But I do think a 707-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT is both unnecessary and a terrible idea.

Let's start with the car itself: the Challenger. I'll still never forget a former coworker's "like a meatship" description of the car's handling, and to this day, I've never once gotten out of the big Dodge and thought, "Wow, what a rewarding, involving experience." The large LX platform's bones are great at making cars that cruise nicely in a straight line, and cars like the Challenger will do burnouts and drift around corners with ease, but in order to handle 707 horsepower tactfully, you've got to have better chassis chops. And while I admittedly have not driven the Challenger Hellcat yet, the folks I've talked to say that, while it's better, it's still big and clumsy, just as you might expect.

Friends of mine have compared the 707-hp rating to supercars, and that's certainly valid. But supercars with that much power are designed and engineered to handle all that force in as balanced a fashion as possible. Take Chevy's forthcoming Corvette Z06, for example – it has 650 hp, and every bit of work added to that car versus the standard Stingray has been done to ensure it will still be super involving and great to manhandle. The Hellcat, meanwhile, is largely the same ol' mediocre-handling Challenger with a giant freaking engine under the hood. Look at it another way: in its outgoing generation, everyone I know who drove both vastly preferred the Mustang Boss 302 to the more powerful (662 hp!) Shelby GT500. Why? It was far better to drive. That Shelby was like a sloppy drunk friend at a party – fun to be around for a little while, but then just a chore.

The thing that really makes me nervous is that the Challenger Hellcat can be purchased for just $60,000. That's still a big chunk of change, for sure, but relatively speaking, it isn't. And I just don't trust most Challenger buyers with 707 horsepower at their disposal. Dodge's more tactile Viper doesn't even make this much power, so why put it in the cheaper Challenger? It's cool, sure, and furthers the whole pissing match between the American automakers in the horsepower wars, but from where I sit, I just don't like it. To me, it's dumb.

– Steven J. Ewing, Senior Editor Autoblog

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt