Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #127
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Looks like a lot of work but it'll look great when you're done! Can't wait to see it finished!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #128
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Lookin good SSSOON.
More progress pics.
Damn cold weather. No way I was getting 24 hours at 70+ degrees for the glue to set, so I made a tent out of a ladder and a tarp and put a heater in front of the bumper, under there. Kinda made it room temp in there. Am giving it an extra day or two to set, just in case. Last thing I want is for the glue to fail to bond and the pieces fall apart when I start shimming.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #129
SSSoon

Finished

All done! Pix below. Overall very happy with this. A lot of work, but I like the look and I am happy that I did not drain off air from the main grille area (because I have an extra rad in there for the supercharger plus a big oil cooler and need all the air in the grille area to cool that stuff).

Suggestions to anyone wanting to do this:

- the ACS T4 ports I received were not well finished at the point where the external port snugs up against the bumper. I did as much shimming as possible to get bumper up against the port, but in spots the port is not level and so there's nothing you can do. Looks fine from 3 feet away. Closer inspection, meh. But it's not a show car, it's a track car.

- I bought a 10-foot section of 3" neoprene duct. It turned out to be pretty much exactly the right length. If it had been 1" shorter per side, it would not have reached. Counting myself lucky here.

- The downward sloping vents out of the back of the ducts was exactly the right solution to getting the hose pointing in the right direction. If I had not done that and just had put the funnel pointing back horizontally, would have run into problems at the fender liner I think.

- I used someone else's idea for securing it, heavy duty velcro loops. That way it (hopefully) won't rub through the hose.

- There is a bolt on my front endlinks that is damn close to the hose. Dunno if it will rub through. I may get under there and add some padding and duct tape just in case. Not sure how others got around this.

- Running the hose over the sway bar and under the tie rod looks great when it's up in the air, but when the suspension is at rest the round cross-section of the hose gets compressed to being a little oval-shaped. I wonder what happens when I hit a bump. Did anyone try a different routing that worked? Has anyone tried this routing (over the sway) and run it a few months to see what it looks like after some wear and tear? Wondering if this will become a problem over time.

- The ACS light bars inside the T4 ports are really bright and shine all over the place. I would not want to be driving down the road at night with these on all the time. Would piss off oncoming traffic for sure. Luckily I put in a harness and a switch so I rarely drive with my fogs on. Daytime would be fine - these would just add a little light accent. But won't run them at night unless I need fog lights.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #130
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Great job SSoon! Looks fantastic and functional too!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #131
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post

- Running the hose over the sway bar and under the tie rod looks great when it's up in the air, but when the suspension is at rest the round cross-section of the hose gets compressed to being a little oval-shaped. I wonder what happens when I hit a bump. Did anyone try a different routing that worked? Has anyone tried this routing (over the sway) and run it a few months to see what it looks like after some wear and tear? Wondering if this will become a problem over time.
Check out my description and photos of how I routed the hose in post # 85 of this thread (page 4). No issues with interference or rubbing with the suspension and out of the way of the 20 X 10 1LE front wheels and tires even with the wheels turned to the stops.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #132
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
All done! Pix below. Overall very happy with this. A lot of work, but I like the look and I am happy that I did not drain off air from the main grille area (because I have an extra rad in there for the supercharger plus a big oil cooler and need all the air in the grille area to cool that stuff).

Suggestions to anyone wanting to do this:

- the ACS T4 ports I received were not well finished at the point where the external port snugs up against the bumper. I did as much shimming as possible to get bumper up against the port, but in spots the port is not level and so there's nothing you can do. Looks fine from 3 feet away. Closer inspection, meh. But it's not a show car, it's a track car.

- I bought a 10-foot section of 3" neoprene duct. It turned out to be pretty much exactly the right length. If it had been 1" shorter per side, it would not have reached. Counting myself lucky here.

- The downward sloping vents out of the back of the ducts was exactly the right solution to getting the hose pointing in the right direction. If I had not done that and just had put the funnel pointing back horizontally, would have run into problems at the fender liner I think.

- I used someone else's idea for securing it, heavy duty velcro loops. That way it (hopefully) won't rub through the hose.

- There is a bolt on my front endlinks that is damn close to the hose. Dunno if it will rub through. I may get under there and add some padding and duct tape just in case. Not sure how others got around this.

- The ACS light bars inside the T4 ports are really bright and shine all over the place. I would not want to be driving down the road at night with these on all the time. Would piss off oncoming traffic for sure. Luckily I put in a harness and a switch so I rarely drive with my fogs on. Daytime would be fine - these would just add a little light accent. But won't run them at night unless I need fog lights.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #133
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
Check out my description and photos of how I routed the hose in post # 85 of this thread (page 4). No issues with interference or rubbing with the suspension and out of the way of the 20 X 10 1LE front wheels and tires even with the wheels turned to the stops.
I spent a lot of time looking at your pics before I did my routing. I think you have a slightly different setup; I tried routing it over the flexible rubber boot as you did, which leads it to the engine side of the body-colored sheet metal. Once I am in there, there is no way out for me. Maybe it is because I have a JRE CAI scoop, or the extra crap from the supercharger, but it is incredibly tight and complicated on the engine side of the sheet metal. Remember that I have to come back to the outside of that body-colored sheet metal in order to connect to my air ducts. I think if you are running off the typical spots just left and right of the radiator, you do not have to go back to the outside of the sheet metal. (rats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Looks nice SSSOON- thanks for the updates.

Thanks again for all your PM support on the AutoX wheel setup also-much appreciated.

Tim
No probs Tim! Glad the info was useful, man. Pete

Last edited by SSSoon; 02-06-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #134
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Great thread

Last edited by h018871; 02-07-2014 at 04:50 PM.
h018871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #135
SSSoon

A few other things occurred to me:

- Surface prep is vital. ACS recommends washing areas with 50/50 water / isopropyl alcohol, which I did. But on my test piece (scrap bumper material) I did not and the stuff popped off with very little effort after curing 24 hours. Yikes.

- I used lined hose clamps on all four ends (like regular hose clamps but they have a long metal extension on the inside so that the teeth never touch the hose, i.e. won't rip it while you are tightening.

Now I need to figure out some way to block off the ducts for when I am bedding brakes. I am thinking of some kind of rubber material (like a doormat or maybe a piece of that flexible plastic commercial baseboard material you can get at Lowe's) cut to size to fit in the front openings. Would tuck nicely behind the yellow horizontal bar in the middle of the unit, and push up against the screen.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #136
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:

Now I need to figure out some way to block off the ducts for when I am bedding brakes. I am thinking of some kind of rubber material (like a doormat or maybe a piece of that flexible plastic commercial baseboard material you can get at Lowe's) cut to size to fit in the front openings. Would tuck nicely behind the yellow horizontal bar in the middle of the unit, and push up against the screen.
Why don't you just use painters tape. I did that on the vents on my hood when I was doing temperature comparisons to determine the effectiveness of heat extraction. You aren't going to be driving that fast that the tape will come off.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #137
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Why don't you just use painters tape. I did that on the vents on my hood when I was doing temperature comparisons to determine the effectiveness of heat extraction. You aren't going to be driving that fast that the tape will come off.
Good idea! Never even thought of that.

I gotta go bed my brakes today, will give is a shot. Thanks man.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #138
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Brake ducts

I installed my kit (from JDP) and ran the hoses like SSMIKE (his pictures are a ton better than mine).

All of the prior posts really helped with my install, so thanks to all.

A question for those who have had these kits for a while....any issues with water etc getting in the inlets/hose?

I should be giving them a good test at Road Atlanta in March, so hoping to be able to tell a real difference.

SSSoon - awesome job with your install.
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #139
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Phase I Complete!

First off, I'd like to give kudos to JDP for an excellent product and member BC2010 for his inspiring setup (aka I'm going to reproduce it).

One thought I've had is the greatly reduced size of the dust shield (especially the top quadrant).
Anyone experience excessive dust inside their wheel well now?

Name:  Phase1.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  109.4 KB
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #140
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Ok, so those that bought the JDP Quantum kit, how did you manage to make 4 feet of hose work? I know when I did mine in 2-1/2 I had at least 4 foot per side, and SSSoon bought 10 foot and he says any shorter and he wouldn't have made it.

I would like to switch to the JDP kit, but if the supplied hose isn't long enough I might as well just buy the plates from Lambert and get my own hose.

Tags
brake, ducts