Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #911
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Well no Z28 for me. I bought this instead. Maybe by the time it comes out I will have $ fund built back up.
Attachment 280881
I'm no expert on earth moving equipment but I suspect that it won't be as fast as a Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #912
427camaro

Drives: 2011 HTR-454SS Camaro, 87 Buick GN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Welcome our friend, please tell your friends about this thread .

Thanks for the welcome. Will do on telling others.
427camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #913
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
"OLD SCHOOL"?!

Hell, I'm just plain OLD...sonny!
LOL...hence my name, we're in the same club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Will the new Z/28 be limited like the Boss, and will there be a rear seat delete option?
What are your opinions?
Most certainly by it's very nature it would be limited I imagine, and I hope we have delete options. I would suggest we can delete more. It's fanciful thoughts, and GM wouldn't do it, but being "old school" I would not mind having manual windows, door locks, and manual seats etc., or other non performance ammenties taken off the menu to save weight. It's a pure bred race car, stiff, harsh, and Millenium Falcon fast. I wouldn't need SatNav, moonroof, or leather. Now, the kick arse radio,..wellll, is a must! .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Give me old school!!
Welcome to the choir!

Quote:
Dragoneye, "appropriate pricing" is in the eye of the buyer...AND GM...

BOSSes from $42-48K leaves a "sweet spot" for Z/28 pricing to play within...'tween 2SS and ZL1...with performance close to a ZL1, especially 'round a track, as Pete astutely notes. And that spread allows for a carefully-optioned and -featured 1SS with an LS7, a suitably upgraded "old school" "enhanced FE4" suspension, HD brakes/driveline components, and weight-saving, handling-assisting measures like forged wheels and Z (or R) -rated rubber for supreme gription (my favorite recent word...).

Like the BOSS, and complementing Wixom's "wishes" and "capacities", 5,000 units would frankly be the tip of the iceberg...with NO Titanic downside...

Sorry for the metaphors, but you get the gist...right?

NOW...do "they" get the gist?!

Get those card 'n letters (and e-mails) going! Vote with your wallets, folks!

EDIT:

Some of you may have noticed I changed my "sig"... Feel free to "copy and paste" it to your notes, but you might just delete the "broken record"...or NOT as the case may be. There will be NO copyright infringement, and NO royalites to pay!
Good post as usual Lowdown, we get the gist, I surmise they do as well. Keep beating the drum, it's not a broken record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The ZL1 will be a road course animal. GM and Chevrolet are absolutely committed to that. They have ramped up thier validation to make certain the car will shine at a HPDEs or open track time.

If there is a Z/28 and if they build it as we have discussed in this thread the Z/28 would be a better car on a road course defined by -- less weight up front, less heat soak (NA vs FI) and a wheel and tire package that is designed for optimal cornering at the expense of ride quality.

In terms of technology, the ZL1 is state-of-the-art. The Z/28 would be old school, because that is what the enthusiasts in this thread want.
Bravo. Hopefully we won't have to keep trying to convince anyone besides ourselves it can be done by the fall of 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Conversations with people led me to more closely look at the changes they made to the vehicle, and estimate the costs incurred. These "people" also have a very calibrated guestimator on their shoulders...

When a company in the business of making money wants to introduce a new product to a specific, limited audience - one of the few ways to justify it in a business case is the increased profit over an existing product.

As I see the options...the Boss doesn't do that. Or else if it does - it's marginal at best. Meaning (to me), that Ford values the marketing effect of the Boss enough to justify the development costs. I heard that the Boss will only be produced for 2 MYs, as well...if this is true...then it would seem to support my guesses.

That's why I asked about Z28 price. GM would probably be inclined to charge more to justify it, because they already have the Camaro AND Corvette for their 'mystique'.
It's nice to hear you have an inside "hook" Joe......GM knows how to make a profit, even if they sold widgets. In this case the ZL1 is the item they want to make profit on. Once it does, so then goes the Z28. It's a matter of when we get the Z28, not if.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #914
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I believe there is little to no weight savings in dropping todays power windows and power locks. However power seats yes.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #915
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Well no Z28 for me. I bought this instead. Maybe by the time it comes out I will have $ fund built back up.
Attachment 280881
Ya know, I see some similarities to a Pedderized Zee...

No Sunroof
Manual Trans
Adjustable Front End
Adjustable Rear
Adjustable Steering

However, I think the tire stagger is off a wee bit...and they don't look like R-compounds... And I believe it may be missin' a cylinder or two...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #916
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
LMAO.. It may be slow, but no jack man needed for tire changes.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #917
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Ya know, I see some similarities to a Pedderized Zee...

No Sunroof
Manual Trans
Adjustable Front End
Adjustable Rear
Adjustable Steering

However, I think the tire stagger is off a wee bit...and they don't look like R-compounds... And I believe it may be missin' a cylinder or two...

FYI: I have been posting less frequently. The reasons are all good. SEMA projects are in high gear. Other Special Projects are taking up more time as well. This thread brings special focus to a very special vehicle. The LS7 belongs in a Z/28. The 5th Gen should have a Z/28.

Yesterday I decided to spend a day at a retail Pedders shop. We did a 5th Gen Track II. The alignment is unique to this 5th Gen. It has OE wheels and tires.

Front
Camber -1.6
Toe .50 OUT
Added a degree of Castor

Rear
Camber 0
Toe IN .05

The test drive was on public roadways so we did not explore the limits. The car is very well balanced. Our new client is going to have fun looking for understeer. I am sure he can find it... if he looks hard enough.

I really like to do retail installs because I get to see first hand how genuinely passionate our Camaro enthusiasts are. My shop day was strictly suspension. I cannot imagine how thrilled a client would be to take delivery of a LS7 Z/28 from GM. If Pedders were to have a small role in a project like this I can't imagine how excited I would be to see the face of the very first Z/28 owner.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #918
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Pete, excellent post!
And yes receiving an LS7/Z28 would be beyond words. Add Pedders and you'd see grown men faint.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #919
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
It's nice to hear you have an inside "hook" Joe......GM knows how to make a profit, even if they sold widgets. In this case the ZL1 is the item they want to make profit on. Once it does, so then goes the Z28. It's a matter of when we get the Z28, not if.
I'll never claim my friends are 'hooks'. All just casual conversation about non-confidential stuff...but I appreciate the thought.

I believe the only three things holding back a Z28 (if it were being proposed) would be a justifiable business case, CAFE effect (big picture thoughts...), and development time. They don't need to wait for the ZL1 to make real money before they introduce a new model...just so long as the Z28 can make its own money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe there is little to no weight savings in dropping todays power windows and power locks. However power seats yes.
I think you're about right! Factor in the increased cost to switch over...and it becomes a difficult change to justify...
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #920
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
1) Yesterday I decided to spend a day at a retail Pedders shop. We did a 5th Gen Track II. The alignment is unique to this 5th Gen. It has OE wheels and tires.

Front
Camber -1.6
Toe .50 OUT
Added a degree of Castor

Rear
Camber 0
Toe IN .05

The test drive was on public roadways so we did not explore the limits. The car is very well balanced.

2) I cannot imagine how thrilled a client would be to take delivery of a LS7 Z/28 from GM. If Pedders were to have a small role in a project like this I can't imagine how excited I would be to see the face of the very first Z/28 owner.
1) What wheels/tires, and sizes, Pete?

2) As you know, Pete, "so close, and yet so far..."

"Passion" for an LS7'd Z/28 is 'way beyond what that "wax-guy" talks about...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #921
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
I'll never claim my friends are 'hooks'. All just casual conversation about non-confidential stuff...but I appreciate the thought.

I believe the only three things holding back a Z28 (if it were being proposed) would be a justifiable business case, CAFE effect (big picture thoughts...), and development time. They don't need to wait for the ZL1 to make real money before they introduce a new model...just so long as the Z28 can make its own money...

I think you're about right! Factor in the increased cost to switch over...and it becomes a difficult change to justify...
I know we want fuel efficent cars and all but this nanny state bull is pissing me

Ok back on subject.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #922
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
LOL....it was sarcasim.....no real thought given...
Quote:
That went without saying Joe...it's commonly understood that the packages coupled together as they are could not be changed or eliminated without major hassle and cost...merely a thought presented about the lengths I as an old guy who never had those things would go to if it could be done, and we all know it could not because of the hassle and cost..., a stretch of the imagination to make a point about jettisoning weight
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #923
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
2.99 has a few thoughts on this.

Yes there would be costs to bring out a Z/28 5th Gen. There would also be sales to offset some or all of the cost. Ford doesn't really sell a variety of Mustangs. They sell a variety of motors in Mustangs.The GT500 is marketed at the top king of the hill Mustang while the Boss is dressed up with a handling package and marketed as a road course beast. Ford does this to increase units. Maybe they have to because the update in 2010 didn't catch fire. The roll out of the 5.0 on 11 didn't catch fire. It may be a matter of necessity.

Before the 2015 6th gen rolls out in 2014 or whenever it rolls out, the Z/28 could serve as a halo vehicle to drive sales of the 5th Gen in the last year or 18 months. If the sales of the 5th Gen continue to be strong and outpace the Mustang we may never see a Z/28.

Hey 2.99! This is Justice Pete. I have been exchanging emails and PMs with a couple of prospective GT500 vs SS Camaro buyers. They are doing a cost benefit of upgrades to the SS vs purchase costs of the GT500. Funny thing is they don't discuss warranty. They are looking at the design of the Camaro vs the performance of the GT500. The younger buyers are giving an edge to the Sync features. The ZL1 will certainly help Chevy win buyers in another year. I get very few PMs or emails comparing the BOSS L/S to the SS. I don't know if that is because the BOSS is viewed as the clear winner or Ford is selling very few BOSS L/S units. My guess is those that run the 5th Gen Program at Chevrolet already have the answers to these question.

This is Flounder. You guys talk too much. I just want my LS7 Z/28 and I want it NOW!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #924
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Step away from the keyboard, the nice men in white coats are going to come and bring you to the peaceful place where everyone is all smiles and talk in nice, soothing tones Pete, err 2.99. err, umm flounder? Just stay put and stay away from anything pointy or boomy.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro