Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #29
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429 View Post
Thats a texas-speed intake. Same one I have on my car. It works fine, I made over 600rwhp with it n/a. You can cut the elbow part off and run a 90 degree silicone elbow to save a few pounds and some heat soak, but you aren't going to get any more functional power out of any other intake brand, unless magically their 4" tubes flow more then this 4" tube.

Thank you for the information!

As far as cold air intakes are concerned, they should all function the same way in theory.

In my honest opinion, this appears to be one of lower quality, but function the same as a more expensive brand.
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
some intakes are just a very expensive way of putting on a cone filter. some run much hotter then the muffled oem one. some see no increase over the oem intake aside from sound losing the little baffle/muffler thingies.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanPocket View Post
Thank you for the information!

As far as cold air intakes are concerned, they should all function the same way in theory.

In my honest opinion, this appears to be one of lower quality, but function the same as a more expensive brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
some intakes are just a very expensive way of putting on a cone filter. some run much hotter then the muffled oem one. some see no increase over the oem intake aside from sound losing the little baffle/muffler thingies.
Have you guys ever seen this information? I thought it may be helpful for you:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...v8+cai+results

In theory yes all cold air intakes should do the same thing, but in reality they can be designed very differently and achieve very different results. I think that link I gave you will show you that. Also there is also factoring in looks, and overall quality. Our products are made 100% here in the USA and are of a very high quality in terms of materials used, design, craftsmanship, and overall fit and finish, which to some people are all very important things.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #32
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Since it has beed confirmed that the OP doesnt have the CAI inc I would recommend the Vararam, CAI inc with scoop or ADM race with scoop. Ohh and clean that engine bay LOL. Actually I should'nt talk smack, at least your car is running.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Spending $400 to replace an intake with another intake is a waste of money. Even if you made 3 more hp, thats a horrible investment hp/$
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
I went from a vr tune model to a black caI w the scoop car runs better and it just looks so nic e the vr is a nice unit but no good if u ever go to a 102 or a bigger radiator like I did and its a pain to install
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #35
1sikRS

And the titling of the radiaor efects ur cooling was well my cars way cooler w my stock radiator and even cooler now w the new one
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikRS View Post
And the titling of the radiaor efects ur cooling was well
In what way? My car runs just the same as far as cooling as when it was stock. I see no difference in cooling function. The radiator tilt with the VR is so slight as to not make a difference one way or the other.

OP - I don't think you can go wrong with either the CAI or the VR. I like my VR not only for the function but unlike most here I like the way it looks on my car as well.
So I admit I am biased and will be keeping the VR for a long time.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #37
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
In what way? My car runs just the same as far as cooling as when it was stock. I see no difference in cooling function. The radiator tilt with the VR is so slight as to not make a difference one way or the other.

OP - I don't think you can go wrong with either the CAI or the VR. I like my VR not only for the function but unlike most here I like the way it looks on my car as well.
So I admit I am biased and will be keeping the VR for a long time.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
1sikRS

The radiator is sealed to the the car for a reason when tilting it ur taking away from radiator cooling itsseld ask shops they will tell u its still a nice intake dont get me wrorng I guessb I feel that my biggest complaint was the quality and fit could have been a lot better
Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #39
1sikRS

For the price they charge they could make them a lot better
Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikRS View Post
The radiator is sealed to the the car for a reason when tilting it ur taking away from radiator cooling itsseld ask shops they will tell u its still a nice intake dont get me wrorng I guessb I feel that my biggest complaint was the quality and fit could have been a lot better
You and I will have to agree to disagree.

I did ask shops about it. Two of the top performance shops mentioned frequently on this forum (Lethal Racing and Vengeance Racing)package the VR with their cam/bolt on kits. I don't think they want their customers cars to have cooling issues. I don't want a cooling issue. I live in hot SC. I've had my VR for 7500 miles including driving it in stop and go traffic in 110 degrees last summer. No problems and I am one who checks all his gauges regularly when driving.

Maybe the VR affected your car's cooling but the little tilt at the top of my radiator affects nothing on mine.

Can't believe I just took this much time to reply about this. Oh we'll that's the internets for ya!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
1sikRS

I agree to each their own