Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Power train mods v/s factory warranty

Just brought home a 2010 SS. How far can you go with engine/exhaust mods and not void that wonderful warranty? Can you retune the stock set up and increase power?
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
My first suggestion would be to SEARCH the forums. There is a ton of info to get you started regarding this topic.

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
My first suggestion would be to SEARCH the forums. There is a ton of info to get you started regarding this topic.

-Funk
the answers that you seek are here already...that dead horse has been beaten...a lot.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
havent they all

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
the answers that you seek are here already...that dead horse has been beaten...a lot.
Every horse has been beaten dead here if you going to take that out look. Just send him to a site an move on. unless you have some mindblowing post to start that hasn't been beaten dead yet
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Every horse has been beaten dead here if you going to take that out look. Just send him to a site an move on. unless you have some mindblowing post to start that hasn't been beaten dead yet
he's a noob...he must learn to use the search!

I'm sure there's 5000 threads on the subject, all with the same debates.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
tom692010
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
he's a noob...he must learn to use the search!

I'm sure there's 5000 threads on the subject, all with the same debates.
yeah we were all noobies remember? Treat him better and maybe he'll help you out one day. A lot of the old timers seem to forget that point! Unfortunate if you were treated that way. Is it that hard to remember how excited you were those first few weeks after yours arrived.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
yeah we were all noobies remember? Treat him better and maybe he'll help you out one day. A lot of the old timers seem to forget that point! Unfortunate if you were treated that way. Is it that hard to remember how excited you were those first few weeks after yours arrived.
sorry....but when I was a noob, I still used the search button first. I didn't flame the guy...just made a simple suggestion.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
it is simple....generation difference. These days, why put in the effort do something to help yourself when you can get others to do it for you. I was a NOOB once and I read and read before I came up with my first question but I still also ask NOOB questions now and again. okay, I didn't help this matter whatsoever. I need my meds.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
tom692010
Account Suspended

Furrrget it,I'm talking to myself here
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Funny, when someone asks me about a paint question (my line of work) I take the time to explain it. I enjoy educating some one who is interested. I do not just point him at the instruction book and call him a Noob but I guess that is just a generation difference.
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BICHN CAMARO View Post
Funny, when someone asks me about a paint question (my line of work) I take the time to explain it. I enjoy educating some one who is interested. I do not just point him at the instruction book and call him a Noob but I guess that is just a generation difference.
fine...here you go...

A lot depends on your dealer. They can be cool about mods or they can be dicks. Performance mods become more of an issue if you break something expensive, like a trans, or motor. For minor things, it's probably not gonna matter.

Nothing will flat out void your entire warranty. If you bolt on a supercharger and your radio stops working, your radio will still be covered. But your drive-train warranty is pretty much void once you bolt on a SC or Turbo. Although a member here got a new transmission after he blew his tailshaft (with a maggie)...because it was a known issue.

Minor bolt-on's like a CAI and cat-back exhaust shouldn't matter either unless the dealer thinks that they caused something to break, in that case, the dealer might give you a hard time.

A tune will void your drive-train warranty if they dealer see's it and wants to give you a hard time. But there's varying opinions about weather or not the dealer can see it or if it can be tuned so the dealer can't see it (or if it can be re-flashed back to stock).

Bigger mods like headers and cams bring up possible problems because in most cases they require a tune to run right and keep the check engine light off.

Hope all this helps...and I hope it doesn't start yet another debate about tuning and warranties. It was simply suggested that you use the search button because this is a question that comes up almost daily, so there's 100's of threads on it. So, it would have been faster for you to find answers this way, rather than starting another thread on it.

Quote:
Furrrget it,I'm talking to myself here
You were free to post an answer to his question or link to threads...instead of busting balls.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonamt93 View Post
Dude,I still searching..........
There are so many threads,Please don't mind but I advice you to search those threads and get your answer if you got answer then please let me know also..............
ummmmm....read 2 posts up ^^^^^^.

see...you can post answers and STILL people wont see what's right in front of their nose.