Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #43
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
Yes im seeing that some cold air intakes make you remove the bottle washer which doesn't make sense to me. Im just looks for some simple stuff like a ported throttle body, cold air intake ( what's the best brand for the buck), and headers.

Im thinking

rotofab -$350

vmax - $150

Stainless power or TSP. $650 ish .

The Pfadt look like a gimmick with not much more flow than stock manifolds and have two choke points

and I still have money left for a tune.
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #44
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
That's a fine list you have there. All good choices. Enjoy
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #45
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
Yes im seeing that some cold air intakes make you remove the bottle washer which doesn't make sense to me. Im just looks for some simple stuff like a ported throttle body, cold air intake ( what's the best brand for the buck), and headers.

Im thinking

rotofab -$350

vmax - $150

The Pfadt look like a gimmick with not much more flow than stock manifolds and have two choke points

Tri y headers aren't a gimmick. They're just another way of doing it. Pfadt is a suspension company so that tells me that since they started making headers, there's more to it than just a gimmick. They look like a piece of art, as do most custom parts they make.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #46
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
"Headers do not know the difference"

thanks for the heads up...

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #47
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:

Im thinking

rotofab -$350

vmax - $150

You could get your stock TB ported by any good shop for less, just FYI if ever you feel like it. Like in 60$

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Tri y headers make more power than regular headers no gimmick there whatsoever pfadt is one of the most reputable manufacturers around.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #49
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
Tri y headers make more power than regular headers no gimmick there whatsoever pfadt is one of the most reputable manufacturers around.
I'll agree with my fellow lounge lizard in the fact that Pfadt is quite reputable but i'd like to see someone get their hands on a set for testing. NOT a vendor either. From what I understand, tri y's are made for tq under the curve without sacrificing top end. I'd like to see it for myself though. I do trust that since Pfadt is doing them, there might be something to it.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #50
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I relocated my washer bottle, but I'm trying to go 11.99's stock internal.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #51
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I'll agree with my fellow lounge lizard in the fact that Pfadt is quite reputable but i'd like to see someone get their hands on a set for testing. NOT a vendor either. From what I understand, tri y's are made for tq under the curve without sacrificing top end. I'd like to see it for myself though. I do trust that since Pfadt is doing them, there might be something to it.
Thank you Mr ninja im sure doc will pick up his soon and have some feedback!! !
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #52
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
For a budget under $500...you can find used tuners in the area of $150-$300.

Used pulleys for around $150

A Vararam non-tune cold air intake will run you $300. Used you can find them for around $200. The tuned version used are around $300 and new will cost a little under $400.

Custom tunes are not too expensive. I got mine for $135 and I've seen them go to around $400. And you get updates for future mods.

Headers are well over $500 for brand new. At the cheapest you have (I'm gonna say it) OBX and a little more money will get you TSP or Stainless Power. I'm a fiend for 2 inch headers lately and TSP makes the most affordable ones.

For the exhaust you can get BBK mid pipes for less than $200. And then you can get a cheap axle back. The cheaper mufflers may have a lot of drone.

You can find an entire headers to cat-back exhaust for about $900 from some companies.

Basically you have to shop around.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #53
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
I dont buy all the advertising hype with most of the performance parts i read about. I read t the top of the page that vraram is showing 40 HP gain with an air intake. lol

Im not sure id want American Racing header company to start making my suspension parts

Thats why I made the thread for guys that have the performance parts installed with proven results. I guess im old school where long tube headers were 32 inches long and four separate tubes into one collector.
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #54
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I dont buy all the advertising hype with most of the performance parts i read about. I read t the top of the page that vraram is showing 40 HP gain with an air intake. lol

Im not sure id want American Racing header company to start making my suspension parts

Thats why I made the thread for guys that have the performance parts installed with proven results. I guess im old school where long tube headers were 32 inches long and four separate tubes into one collector.
I'm a bit skeptical that Tri-Y headers are superior to tradition style headers. I'd have to see some 3rd party dynos before I'm convinced. I mean they look awesome. And the design is unique. But I think at the end of the day they will be similar to traditional style. I mean, headers have been in use all these decades...this style would have been thought up and put on the market a long time ago if it were as superior as it is being made out to be. But I've been wrong before so I'll wait for someone else to post results.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #55
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm a bit skeptical that Tri-Y headers are superior to tradition style headers. I'd have to see some 3rd party dynos before I'm convinced. I mean they look awesome. And the design is unique. But I think at the end of the day they will be similar to traditional style. I mean, headers have been in use all these decades...this style would have been thought up and put on the market a long time ago if it were as superior as it is being made out to be. But I've been wrong before so I'll wait for someone else to post results.
I have heard of 1 independent test besides the Phadt test. This particular shop made 7rwhp over an ARH 1 7/8 header. Which is a pretty considerable gain for a header vs header comparison.

I am waiting to see if anybody else gets similar results.

I think 7hp is possible. Phadt is a very reputable company and puts out very high quality parts. And for the price, I think it's worth 7 extra hp. But more tests will dictate my pulling the trigger on them.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #56
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:

Skepticism is a good thing. I am as well but I know the guys at Pfadt put out some damn fine parts that just plain work. They aren't just a suspension company though. They are VERY active in road course racing their Camaros along with their Vettes and those are pretty much the only cars they do. I see they have added in the CTS line to their inventory as well. Everything they make is road race tested. That's what leads me to believe these headers are at least as good as anything else on the market. As for being better, time and independent testing will tell. These are so new for the Vette and now the Camaro, it's hard to find a lot of comparisons at the moment. It shouldn't be too much longer before we hear how they do. If you're in the market for a set of headers, i'd wait a few weeks to see how these compare. I can tell you that the quality will be absolutely second to none though.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)