Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Let me start by saying, sorry for the thread jack OP.

I ran two of the 15" LED strips on both outsides of the cuts that I made. Knowing the adhesive isn't the greatest, I tossed some clear silcone along either side. The covers handling cutting well, I did an SS in a similar style for a friend. Just throw down some tape along the line you want to cut and use a jig saw, slow speed is best as you don't want to melt it. The metal backing is a gutter screen I painted and cut to fit the openings. Once cut, I pushed the back side of them a bit to bring them more flush with the top surface. I first used epoxy, that failed and sucked to deal with. I found that the clear adhesive silcone worked best for this as well.

The wiring was a PITA, but not dificult. I ran mine, along with my LED light bar behind my grill and my RGD LED halos, to a switch that I attached to my fuse box, really easy to grab a 12v source. Then ran the wire partially in the cover that run along side the engine, and the rest away from the engine. For a ground I was lazy and attached an alligator clip and attached it to a bolt in the middle of the intake.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator6977 View Post
Let me start by saying, sorry for the thread jack OP.

I ran two of the 15" LED strips on both outsides of the cuts that I made. Knowing the adhesive isn't the greatest, I tossed some clear silcone along either side. The covers handling cutting well, I did an SS in a similar style for a friend. Just throw down some tape along the line you want to cut and use a jig saw, slow speed is best as you don't want to melt it. The metal backing is a gutter screen I painted and cut to fit the openings. Once cut, I pushed the back side of them a bit to bring them more flush with the top surface. I first used epoxy, that failed and sucked to deal with. I found that the clear adhesive silcone worked best for this as well.

The wiring was a PITA, but not dificult. I ran mine, along with my LED light bar behind my grill and my RGD LED halos, to a switch that I attached to my fuse box, really easy to grab a 12v source. Then ran the wire partially in the cover that run along side the engine, and the rest away from the engine. For a ground I was lazy and attached an alligator clip and attached it to a bolt in the middle of the intake.

GREAT Point, I am sorry too for the thread jack, let me answer his question first. Does it hold in heat? Most defiantly, will you see a difference driving it at the track, probably not measurable. But when looking for every little advantage, I for one take the cover off before I leave the house and leave it in the garage. I leave it on for everything else because I like the looks of my engine bay with the cover.

Thanks for the info on the LEDS. I used gutter screen to make a screen kit for my kids 120 snowmobile. Still have some of that left and can use it again. I was planning to do some cutting for my new cover that I am working on as a winter project. I already have lights up under my hood on the matt above. I plan to tap into those. The switch for the light is mounted on my Roto Fab radiator cover.

Link to my under hood lighting project that I will be tapping into.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143246
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Thanks guys, for the compliments. Can't take one lit up, it's not dark, but here's one I just took. Lighting kinda sucked, but it is what it is. And I used the 3/4 of a can of caliper paint I had left over after painting my calipers.

The cover looks badass but I think the red clashes with the green. Looks a little festive.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk350 View Post
The cover looks badass but I think the red clashes with the green. Looks a little festive.
Perfect for this time of year haha.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
NoPoney

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Thanks guys, for the compliments. Can't take one lit up, it's not dark, but here's one I just took. Lighting kinda sucked, but it is what it is. And I used the 3/4 of a can of caliper paint I had left over after painting my calipers.

That is awesome! I might steal that idea...
NoPoney is offline   Reply With Quote