Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #43
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepitt View Post
I have On-Star turn-by-turn in my 2008 Buick Enclave. I've had several occasions when it didn't work. It uses CDMA cell phone technology to send the directions. Look at a verizon coverage map (they use CDMA). If you aren't in their area (base or roaming) you won't get On-star. I keep a Magellan unit in the car for trips. I like the other info, like estimated arrival time and visual representation of the roads.
Good to know, I did not know that.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #44
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Yea I have seen those cell phone GPS systems and I don't like them, until they come out with one with a 7" or 8" screen I think I will pass. About the GPS systems being a "fad" I think you couldn't be further from the truth. On my way home from New York today I saw 2 Honda Civic's pass by, they both had the navigation system. These were cars with Pennsylvania plates by the way.

If a market exist for Supercharges that cost $6,000 (Which can be labeled as a status symbol) I think from here on out we can expect navigation systems to become optional equipment even on the cheapest of cars. Don't believe me? Check out the Suzuki SX4 and 2009 Honda Fit. Every day that goes by I see more and more cars with them.

You check every new and upcoming car most of them offer the navigation system, if no one was going to buy them automakers would of stopped offering the option by now. I still remember a guy all these years ago that told me keyless entry was a fad that would die off.
If you need a 7" or 8" screen you need glasses, the display on my phone (HTC Mogul from Sprint) is VERY easy for me to read. And when I say fad I mean that right now in-dash systems are the cool thing to have, but lose to portable units when it comes to practicality. Once people en masse begin to realize what a PITA they are to update, how overpriced and underutilized they are they'll begin to look to cheaper, more versatile altenatives and not check GPS SYSTEM on their option sheet. If/when the car manufactures solve these problems before the general public realizes they're being hoodwinked then maybe they'll remain a permanent fixture.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #45
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
If you need a 7" or 8" screen you need glasses, the display on my phone (HTC Mogul from Sprint) is VERY easy for me to read. And when I say fad I mean that right now in-dash systems are the cool thing to have, but lose to portable units when it comes to practicality. Once people en masse begin to realize what a PITA they are to update, how overpriced and underutilized they are they'll begin to look to cheaper, more versatile altenatives and not check GPS SYSTEM on their option sheet. If/when the car manufactures solve these problems before the general public realizes they're being hoodwinked then maybe they'll remain a permanent fixture.
LOL, thats why everyone has a 13" TV in their room.

Glasses or not it is easier to see a 7"-8" screen, more so than a 3" screen at least. Portable units are great but they still didn't solve one major issue they have, they are tacky and ugly. Plus the wires look like shit (Not all of us are willing to dismantle the dash to hide the cable).

People aren't going to realize that in dash units are PITA's because the only people who complain about them are people who are price conscious (Which is laughable since these people waste their money useless things that are even more expensive. Like thousands of dollars on a fancy car stereo, or up to $7k on a Supercharger). Or people that are afraid or lack knowledge on the devices (Face it, these people exist if you like it or not). I had my system for a few years now and have been to New York, Pennsylvania, and nearly every state between here and South Carolina.

It never gave me bad directions, and the map was always correct. Fact, you don't have to change the map disk every year. I been using the same one for about 3 years now. Plus it has lots of cool features the portables and those crappy cell phones don't. I will admit it cost a lot of money, but I have doubts if I will ever need to change the disk within the lifetime of this vehicle.

Again I see more and more cars with the feature I see no reason why they will go away. If you want to believe that, by all means go ahead. But I will tell you now people like myself will always prefer the advantages of an in dash system.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #46
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
LOL, thats why everyone has a 13" TV in their room.

Glasses or not it is easier to see a 7"-8" screen, more so than a 3" screen at least. Portable units are great but they still didn't solve one major issue they have, they are tacky and ugly. Plus the wires look like shit (Not all of us are willing to dismantle the dash to hide the cable).

People aren't going to realize that in dash units are PITA's because the only people who complain about them are people who are price conscious (Which is laughable since these people waste their money useless things that are even more expensive. Like thousands of dollars on a fancy car stereo, or up to $7k on a Supercharger). Or people that are afraid or lack knowledge on the devices (Face it, these people exist if you like it or not). I had my system for a few years now and have been to New York, Pennsylvania, and nearly every state between here and South Carolina.

It never gave me bad directions, and the map was always correct. Fact, you don't have to change the map disk every year. I been using the same one for about 3 years now. Plus it has lots of cool features the portables and those crappy cell phones don't. I will admit it cost a lot of money, but I have doubts if I will ever need to change the disk within the lifetime of this vehicle.

Again I see more and more cars with the feature I see no reason why they will go away. If you want to believe that, by all means go ahead. But I will tell you now people like myself will always prefer the advantages of an in dash system.
Car stereo is anything but useless. Auditory satisfaction is one of the 5 most important pleasures you can experience in life. I won't get into the others.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #47
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
Car stereo is anything but useless. Auditory satisfaction is one of the 5 most important pleasures you can experience in life. I won't get into the others.
Heh, maybe I am missing out on something.

Point is I have nothing against people who want an expensive audio system in their car, if I told you some of the things I spent my money on you would probably think I am crazy. I am just using them as examples to prove my point.

All I want to see is some respect, I remember a friend of my fathers criticizing the navigation system in our truck because he felt it was useless. This man owns 30 rifles, and he took several expensive hunting trips to Canada but he has the nerve to tell us how we wasted our money. Being on several automotive forums (Including this one) I get a feeling from some people that they believe the option shouldn't even exist.

Like they know whats best, and that arrogance is what pisses me off. Don't tell me that a navigation system is a waste of money while people here are ready to drop $6k-$7k on a Supercharger for a car that has more power than most cars on the road. To each their own, please?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #48
swifttal

Quote:
Heh, maybe I am missing out on something.

Point is I have nothing against people who want an expensive audio system in their car, if I told you some of the things I spent my money on you would probably think I am crazy. I am just using them as examples to prove my point.

All I want to see is some respect, I remember a friend of my fathers criticizing the navigation system in our truck because he felt it was useless. This man owns 30 rifles, and he took several expensive hunting trips to Canada but he has the nerve to tell us how we wasted our money. Being on several automotive forums (Including this one) I get a feeling from some people that they believe the option shouldn't even exist.

Like they know whats best, and that arrogance is what pisses me off. Don't tell me that a navigation system is a waste of money while people here are ready to drop $6k-$7k on a Supercharger for a car that has more power than most cars on the road. To each their own, please?
I can respect that, the clean look of nav is nice (my opinion differs for this car however, I think it would cheapen the interior). Just that I think with all the alternatives there are out there with better support, I'm sure this was low down on their list. If you live in an area of the country that isn't growing right now, you'd probably be good with factory nav for about a decade. But in places like Vegas, Phoenix, even parts of Hawaii that were never mapped correctly to begin with, it's better to go the aftermarket route. With all the aftermarket options available, is the main concern you have is that you don't have an option for an in-dash unit?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #49
swifttal

This may be a good alternative for you

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn6620overviews.html

or

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5495overviews.html
Old 11-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #50
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
I can respect that, the clean look of nav is nice (my opinion differs for this car however, I think it would cheapen the interior). Just that I think with all the alternatives there are out there with better support, I'm sure this was low down on their list. If you live in an area of the country that isn't growing right now, you'd probably be good with factory nav for about a decade. But in places like Vegas, Phoenix, even parts of Hawaii that were never mapped correctly to begin with, it's better to go the aftermarket route. With all the aftermarket options available, is the main concern you have is that you don't have an option for an in-dash unit?
I understand what you mean. The map disk for these things are very expensive, the system itself cost a lot of money, and for many people they can put up with the con's of an on dash unit for the lower initial and long term cost. I just find the generalized complaints against in dash units to be misinformed (Other than the price). My system works just fine getting me to my destination and it can do things that the portables can't.

The in dash system we have controls many of the cars major systems: Radio, Navigation, HVAC, and certain settings. I hit a button, tell the vehicle what to do, and it does it. I don't have to take my eyes off the road searching for the right button. No aftermarket system can do this, and I really come to love this feature (Voice Recognition). I know I said this a million times but I also think an in dash system looks better than a tacked on Garmin.

Really I don't have any concerns, I really like the Camaro and would buy it with or without the navigation option. However, it's a feature I really like and it would make my driving experience easier and in some cases more enjoyable. Plus I really like the LCD interface over and old fashion knobs, looks a lot cleaner IMO.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #51
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
I have seen this system before, and it's 85% of what I want. The main reason I never consider an aftermarket headunit is concerns about integrating it into the car. I have heard stories of people taking out the factory installed head unit, putting an aftermarket unit in it's place, and having all kinds of problems.

Personally I rather get a GM navigation system installed from the factory for the Camaro so I know that GM designed it to work with the cars systems, and if I do have any problems GM will know how to fix it.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #52
swifttal

Quote:
I have seen this system before, and it's 85% of what I want. The main reason I never consider an aftermarket headunit is concerns about integrating it into the car. I have heard stories of people taking out the factory installed head unit, putting an aftermarket unit in it's place, and having all kinds of problems.

Personally I rather get a GM navigation system installed from the factory for the Camaro so I know that GM designed it to work with the cars systems, and if I do have any problems GM will know how to fix it.
The vette has an optional nav system, this might get you close without problems... probably be a pain to retrofit and the system is just under $2 grand...
Old 11-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #53
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
The vette has an optional nav system, this might get you close without problems... probably be a pain to retrofit and the system is just under $2 grand...
Thats the whole thing, if the Camaro had the option I wouldn't need to do all that. Just select the option since the car is setup to handle it.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #54
swifttal

Quote:
Thats the whole thing, if the Camaro had the option I wouldn't need to do all that. Just select the option since the car is setup to handle it.
feel for you, same with me and the HUD... There's always 2011, but 422 hp says I won't be waiting
Old 11-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #55
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
feel for you, same with me and the HUD... There's always 2011, but 422 hp says I won't be waiting
I got to wait since I am chipping in some money on a new family sedan next year, so I got to wait to play.

I really wanted the HUD anyway, and would of waited even if I had the money now.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #56
swifttal

Quote:
I got to wait since I am chipping in some money on a new family sedan next year, so I got to wait to play.

I really wanted the HUD anyway, and would of waited even if I had the money now.
Should work out better for you then, who know, GM tends to put nav on everything, maybe 2011 will be it