Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
15CamaroRS2LT

Drives: 2015 Camaro L99-1SS/RS CRM
How many key fobs .....

I just got my 2015 Camaro and I have not seen in the owners manual how many key fobs can be programmed to the car. What I'm trying to do is get back to the original blade key in the fob instead of the replacement key they now give. If I understand it correctly, I can actually put a blade key into the fob given to me with the car, but my dealer can't even cut a replacement key let alone get the "blade" key for me. If anybody can, or has either added another key fob to your car, or put the "blade" key into your OEM key fob, please let me know.
15CamaroRS2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
I don't know the exact answer to your question, but will convey my recent experience. I purchased my 2014 2LT recently. The key recall already had been done. I received 2 original fobs that had the switchblade key removed, and had the GM dangler key on them. I wanted another spare key, just the dangler...so went to the part department, and they tell me they only can order a new fob with the switchblade blank in it, and they will laser cut it once it arrives. They told me they cannot order the dangler key, only the fob/switchblade. Oh, and it was only $42. So when it arrived, they cut the key, and programmed it all up for me. Now I have 3 fobs, all work.

Of course, selling me a switchblade fob key makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. How can they do this when they spent millions of dollars recalling these and putting on danglers? Heck I wasn't going to argue, I like the switchblade better anyhow.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
1BadAssSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15CamaroRS2LT View Post
I just got my 2015 Camaro and I have not seen in the owners manual how many key fobs can be programmed to the car. What I'm trying to do is get back to the original blade key in the fob instead of the replacement key they now give. If I understand it correctly, I can actually put a blade key into the fob given to me with the car, but my dealer can't even cut a replacement key let alone get the "blade" key for me. If anybody can, or has either added another key fob to your car, or put the "blade" key into your OEM key fob, please let me know.
Dealer told me 4.
1BadAssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
That is interesting. Maybe I should try that. So can only the dealer laser a new key. Seems like they could get a solo key and just cut it. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a blade made and put into the Fob without cutting out the key from one of the "solos"

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1969 View Post
That is interesting. Maybe I should try that. So can only the dealer laser a new key. Seems like they could get a solo key and just cut it. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a blade made and put into the Fob without cutting out the key from one of the "solos"
I went to several local hardware stores all that claimed they can do "chip key" copies, however, none of them could do my key because it has the cuts on the inside of the blade, not the outer edges like traditional keys. This is called a laser cut key. The only place I found that could do this was the dealer. Perhaps a locksmith could do it, but I didn't bother trying.

Like I said, the dealership told me they can't order a solo (non fob) key, only the remote/switchblade was available in the system (this was just 2 weeks ago). For the price, just do what I did, go to the dealership and order the fob/switchblade and have them copy it once it arrives (it comes un-cut). I doubt you will find somewhere that has a blade blank, and can then copy the blade. And then you need to insert it into your fob? Why bother when you can get one at the dealer?
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
15CamaroRS2LT

Drives: 2015 Camaro L99-1SS/RS CRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1969 View Post
Yes it is, I had it done thru a vendor on Ebay with the supplied key code. They supplied two blade keys, two roll pins & cut them, they went in perfectly and work great. I went that route because the Chevrolet dealer I bought the car from said they could not cut that "style" key, go somewhere else...

2015 Crystal Red 1SS/RS..A6..11.31 @ 119.76...4065 lbs...Ebay cold air kit, Pat G tune, MT drag radials, TSP 1 7/8" headers w/cats Circle D converter sold

2010 Victory Red V6 - Auto
15CamaroRS2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
I've got 4. I added in auto start after buying my car, and had to get two auto start fobs. I did the recall on my original two fobs, so I've got the best of both worlds now. I've got the normal switchblade for everyday use, and a plain key for when I'm working out.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote