Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
Replacing supercharger and I see oil.

Brief history: I purchased and installed a Apex oil catch can at around 2000 miles. I decided to do this since reading all the articles about oil catch can. I started to hear the marbles in the supercharger at around 3000 miles. So about 1000 miles with catch can.

I had a chech engine light come up on my car. Called on star and was advised was due to exhaust/emissions. Forgot to ask for code. So I bit my upper lip and made decision that I need to bring vehicle in for service at dealership. Before doing so. I went to talk to service manager, service writer and master tech who would work on my car. After speaking with them I moved forward on bringing my car in for service.

Reason for me speaking with them was to talk about my concerns and get an impression of who will work on my car. So this is the 1st supercharger replacement they are doing so I advised them to take their time to do it right.

My car was dropped off on a Monday. Master tech called GM to advise of issue but GM sent a bulletin advising that sound was normal.

Tuesday came and I went in to show master tech and service writer bulletin regarding replacing supercharger. They found the bulletin attached to my vin which they didn't see the 1st time. Master tech called back GM and got another person who approved the warranty work. Replacement supercharger was found and overnight delivery to dealership.

Wednesday, I received a call starting the supercharger is removed and if I can stop by to take any pics and see progress. Rushed to dealership and was able to see my car in pieces but progress being done. Master tech had old and new supercharger side by side. You can clearly see the oil that is on the supercharger. Wish I had the catch can on sooner.

At this time master tech is installing new supercharger and then will resolve what looks to be a bad oxygen sensor for the exhaust/emissions issue.

Since I told them to take their time, I am not expecting vehicle back until Monday.

So for anyone in ? Of getting an oil catch can, I would suggest getting one.
I recently installed one on my 2003 Silverado ss and I have seen oil collecting in the catch can.

Thanks apex for a great product. Below are pics of superchargers.
Attached Images

Leviser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Leviser

New supercharger, nice and clean.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
I am not as knowledgable about the superchargers on these cars but I think a bit of oil is pretty common... I know it's definitely normal with a regular intake manifold without a catch can. Figure with the supercharger sitting in place of it, if the PCV system is the same as on the NA Camaros then a bit of oil getting in there is to be expected.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Smittty

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro 2000 SLP Camaro
Alittle bit of oil is normal. Looks ok to me.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Leviser

Thanks for chiming in. Glad to know a little is ok.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Had my supercharger done in March of this year. Had catch can installed within 100 miles of owning it. When they showed me old supercharger it had about an ounce of oil in it, is was super clean and I explained to the tech why it was so clean. Not sure they understood. I was very happy.
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
SOBBuilt

Drives: 2011 SS/ZL1
Glad this topic came up, those of you pulling the lids off are you removing permanetly the tray in the picture that sits above the rotors of the charger?
i would think with a catch can it could be deleted as it looks like it would cause a restriction in air flow.

Thanks
SOBBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBBuilt View Post
Glad this topic came up, those of you pulling the lids off are you removing permanetly the tray in the picture that sits above the rotors of the charger?
i would think with a catch can it could be deleted as it looks like it would cause a restriction in air flow.

Thanks
Lol
Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:

Thanks
That's a dust cover/tray...you might have a little air flow problem if it is left on...
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
SOBBuilt

Its funny everyone is talking shit but the fact that i just cracked open a foctory sealed 2013 ZL1 and it had this tray melted to the lower intake is why i brought it up.
But hey thanks for the help
Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
Leviser

Going today to see status on car. I'll make sure that cover is removed b4 install. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Its funny everyone is talking shit but the fact that i just cracked open a foctory sealed 2013 ZL1 and it had this tray melted to the lower intake is why i brought it up.
But hey thanks for the help

With all due respect, what would the indication be IF this was actually left on? Would you even build any boost? Excessive noise from the SC upon running for the first few miles? I'm not a SC expert or GURU, so I'm not sure about the airflow during operation. My guess would be that the flow would be greatly restricted and you wouldn't even get any boost if it were left on.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Snickers
Rumblebee

Drives: ZL1 Rally Yellow
I guess the plastic would melt and the rotors shred its way to get some air...
I can't believe someone leaves the dust guard or whatever you wanna call it on, but hey, make something idiot proof and someone makes a better idiot.
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
SOBBuilt

I think you are missing my CLEAR point, i have a car in right now that i just pulled apart that is a factory ZL1 and the "dust cover" was laying in the intake still