Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #99
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
EPA stupidity

This may not belong here, but it's important that this gets as much publicity as possible. This needs to be posted on every car form out there. If it needs to be moved then moderators please move it to the appropriate forum.

EPA SEEKS TO PROHIBIT CONVERSION OF VEHICLES INTO RACECARS
-- SEMA to Oppose Action as Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers --

Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.

“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”

SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.

The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016.

link to SEMA site on more info

click the link sign the petition

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2016...into-racecars?
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #100
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Done. That sounds like communism to me. We just cannot stand still and let the EPA ram this down our throat.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #101
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Petition is over 115k signatures. Let's see what happens...
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #102
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
They were just here two weeks ago for a full week. They're thinking hard about moving to Arizona. I'll eventually make the trip up there but my god, they're whining about their home-state for the same reason I whine about it.

And as much as I agree with you about going to see them, there are plenty of other reasons that aren't car related as to why I don't want to go.
I get what you are saying, and its awesome you are getting to spend time with them!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #103
blackoutVIII

Drives: 2011 2SS w/RS PKG
Well, we all know who is responsible for this. THE CLIMATE CHANGE ADMINISTRATION!!
blackoutVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #104
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
So if this actually goes through, I think Government Motors might have a little more weight too it...

Just a thought. Lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #105
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
That doesn't stop you, but comrade Bernie and his brainwashed youth will.
They can try muhahahaha!!

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #106
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Mod what? There will be nothing to mod. Electric motors don't mod well. Besides your only going to be able to do what the Prius in front of you is doing, nothing more.....
Apparently you don't watch Gold Rush, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #107
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Although this single issue is important to many of us, there are many more synergies progressing rapidly that will be far more devastating. Ben was a very smart man way back in the 1700's.
Attached Images

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #108
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Mod what? There will be nothing to mod. Electric motors don't mod well. Besides your only going to be able to do what the Prius in front of you is doing, nothing more.....
I'd put a bigger battery in, larger electric motor, retune the computer so it had user input and pass that Prius!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #109
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
My guess there would have to be a grandfather clause to exclude existing and older motor vehicles.
chuckstacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #110
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Who changed the title of my thread???

I thought the title fit the topic, now its kind of stupid...
Also it was moved out of the General automotive, it more fits that catagory because it pertains to all cars not just Camaros.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #111
mustang50lx

Drives: 2015 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWade View Post
ASK your DMV about drivers license, cause you'll get a surprise, it isn't a right as you might think it in any state. It is a privilege that at any time and for any reason, usually do to infractions of motor vehicle moving violations, they CAN and will either suspend for a certain amount of time OR revoke them depending on the violations amounted with a certain time frame and for some also a points system.

Why do I point this out, each state differs in how they deal with moving violations on a drivers license, I know for a fact in Illinois there's a point system, for moving violations all have points set depending on the moving violation, and if the number of violations in a year get to 4 or more, they use the points for each violation and add them up. Once these are added up, IF they get to a certain number of points the state may suspend that license for 6 months up to a year, if these points get above a certain number ( which I don't remember that number) the state will revoke that license for as long as they like.

I went through this and dealt with it, after receiving four moving violations out of state, in Wichita Kansas, those violations eventually got back to the DMV in Illinois. I had my license suspended for a year and was told I was only a few points from having them revoked. I take a great deal of thought when it comes to moving violations on my record in a years time, and even worse for my situation I have a CDL, and can even lose it for only one violation in a year.

I understand what you are saying. That is not what I am talking about. For instance I am a free man until I commit a crime and lose my freedom while I am in jail. They can not just put me in jail for no reason. Similarly I have the right to drive until I do something to lose that right. My point is that they can't just say "You can't drive anymore" for no reason. I also have a CDL. I won't even drink a single beer and drive anymore because of how strict that is.
mustang50lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #112
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang50lx View Post
I understand what you are saying. That is not what I am talking about. For instance I am a free man until I commit a crime and lose my freedom while I am in jail. They can not just put me in jail for no reason. Similarly I have the right to drive until I do something to lose that right. My point is that they can't just say "You can't drive anymore" for no reason. I also have a CDL. I won't even drink a single beer and drive anymore because of how strict that is.

The word you are looking for..... driving on public roads is a "conditional right".

So are gun permits and marriage licenses.

You are correct as privilege can be taken away for no good/fair reason or reasons beyond your control.

Tags
camaro, epa, modding, petition, signature request