Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #183
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
I really wanna do this, but even with this DIY, feel like theres not enough of a solid... step by step process. People seem to all have their own way of doing it. I wanna know im absolutely doing this right. Some say there's "no difference" after. Obviously this will vary from car to car. I installed my catch can at 25k and sure I'll prolly do this eventually but I'm still on the fence. Ive read to put it in the tank when nearly empty, but they say not to run over 150-200 miles... and I get 350+ to a tank? So im lost there... Between that and everywhere else you're supposed to add it, it seems like it needs to be perfectly timed thing. I need/WANT to take my car to the dealer for my oil changes. Because of this I don't wanna risk messing it up. Plus, I have a tune, and i'm not positive they wont auto-override my tune. So i'm just like... UGH.
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #184
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmiketuck View Post
I really wanna do this, but even with this DIY, feel like theres not enough of a solid... step by step process. People seem to all have their own way of doing it. I wanna know im absolutely doing this right. Some say there's "no difference" after. Obviously this will vary from car to car. I installed my catch can at 25k and sure I'll prolly do this eventually but I'm still on the fence. Ive read to put it in the tank when nearly empty, but they say not to run over 150-200 miles... and I get 350+ to a tank? So im lost there... Between that and everywhere else you're supposed to add it, it seems like it needs to be perfectly timed thing. I need/WANT to take my car to the dealer for my oil changes. Because of this I don't wanna risk messing it up. Plus, I have a tune, and i'm not positive they wont auto-override my tune. So i'm just like... UGH.
If you're not mechanically inclined enough to do an oil change, then don't do this either. There's really no science to it man, but I've seen the same steps used on tons of different cars. The steps on the side of the can should be plenty, if not take it to GM for upper induction cleaning for like $100-$200.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #185
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsmiketuck View Post
You are confusing the crankcase step with the fuel tank step. Crankcase you have to change the oil within 100 miles. Not the fuel tank, fill the fuel tank and pour a whole bottle and just run the tank dry.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #186
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Should I install the cstch can before the crank shaft step ? The post mentioned the can will gather some nasty oil.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #187
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Should I install the cstch can before the crank shaft step ? The post mentioned the can will gather some nasty oil.
Yes it's a good idea to install before the seafoam process is started. It can start to collect some of the junk that gets loosened up. And then when done check the can to see if it needs emptying.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #188
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Doing the crank case step today. But don't have anywhere to drive. Is driving it as soon as you put it in needed ?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #189
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
This is a horribly dumb question but Ill ask anyway. I know due to step #2 you will need to change the oil but do you do it after step 2 or after you do the entire list of steps? For example can I do step 2, change the oil then a few days later complete the rest of them or is it better to do all of them then change the oil?
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #190
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Only question... How often is this need it? Ones a year?
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #191
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Doing the crank case step today. But don't have anywhere to drive. Is driving it as soon as you put it in needed ?
Should be fine, just change your oil between 50-100 miles of driving.

Quote:
This is a horribly dumb question but Ill ask anyway. I know due to step #2 you will need to change the oil but do you do it after step 2 or after you do the entire list of steps? For example can I do step 2, change the oil then a few days later complete the rest of them or is it better to do all of them then change the oil?
It's easier to do it all at once, but you can do it in steps if you want. Just be sure to change the oil after you do the crank case.

Quote:
Only question... How often is this need it? Ones a year?
I usually do the crank case once a year, but I do the intake manifold fogging every couple of months.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #192
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

So I at the final step of driving the car. I drive it at around 15 20mph but after that there is a noticeable ticking. ? Engine light came on. Car is idling fine however
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #193
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
So I at the final step of driving the car. I drive it at around 15 20mph but after that there is a noticeable ticking. ? Engine light came on. Car is idling fine however
Getting a CEL is normal during the seafoam process. The tickling hummmm.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #194
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Update. Sounds went away. Still have the light turned on tho
Old 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #195
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Took it for a joyous spin around my block. Knocking sound went away. I'm doing a battery diconnect to get rid of the engine light
Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #196
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
I got the ticking sound when i did mine, it went away after a bit of driving, but I've done it before and no problems.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote