Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Anyone running Long Tubes in New Jersey?

Just trying to find out if anyone is running long tubes in New Jersey and how they are going to deal with emissions testing. I am on the fence about running long tubes not knowing if it is possible to have the car tuned to pass emissions with LT's legitimately.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Slim2SS
Black Thunder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have just installed long tubes with high flow cats and a Magnaflow exhaust with a vector motor sports tune. I am not concerned one bit about getting thru inspection. If you go to a private garage for inspection thay dont even do a emision test. As long as you dont have a check engine light on they just plug into the ecm for the inspection. I have never seen a state inspection station or a private garage do a visual check of the exhaust. Now with that said I also would never eliminate the cats all together. I know people have posted that swichting out cats is ilegal but I dont agree. I just put a new exhaust including a cat on a Nissian Altoma and it went right thru the state inspection.
Slim2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Elsalsero

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition {AutoBot}
Thumbs up

l just install american racing headers {long tube}on 1-16-10 and let me tell u that l know that it is the best thing l just did for the car! l had it install at tune time performance at toms river by matt and let say l gain a whooping 43 hp at the wheels without a tune, by the end of the day it was tune for 91 octance and l am having fun! we install a 160 stat,air-raid intake,ngk plugs-one step colder,and the headers and with a tune we got a whooping 370 at the wheels and l am about to have the pulley from SLP install then retune{93 octance}by Matt and l know that then l will be having a 12`0 cars with stock tires. he did my ctsv09 from stock and we all went to the track at ENGISHTOWN RACEWAY PARK back in oct 8 2009 with GM HIGH TECH MAG. AND ITS GONE TO BE IN THE MAY ISSUSE MATT KNOW WHAT WORKS AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF THE EMMISIONS NO PROBLEMS or by the way my ctsv went 11:50 at 122mph with a short time of 180 on stock tire so l know that if l get lucked again with a 180 short time u never know maybe a 11:99 or better for bolts on`s that`s not bad. wish u luck with your discsion?
Elsalsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
robertway

Thanks guys, this feedback goes a long way in helping me with my decision. I don't think I would have to worry about passing emissions from an ECM check/tailpipe test perspective but was just wondering if NJ has gotten as enviro-whacky enough to do visuals for CARB cert tags like in CA. Either way, I think I would just hold onto the stock exhaust and swap it out if need be. Maybe I'm just paranoid...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Emissions will not be the problem, they just hook the machine to the OBD and if all checks out (no engine light on etc.) no problem.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Emissions will not be the problem, they just hook the machine to the OBD and if all checks out (no engine light on etc.) no problem.
Sounds good, didn't know if they did visuals like in CA, although 4 years from now they may be, who knows

Looks like Long Tubes are in the cards for me soon.... now I just have to choose which ones. The Texas Speed 1 7/8" setup has me interested as they have a package that comes with mid-pipes and a MagnaFlow axle-back and the Magna's were what I was probably going with anyway.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Elsalsero

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition {AutoBot}
do yourself a favor and save the money on the exhaust unless u want a different sound exhaust will gain nothing but the headers will if u can go with american racing the best for the buck and a air-raid intake.
Elsalsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
i did my headers myself. easy. you will love the sound. just wish jersey weather did not suck. i only have 400 miles on my camaro
Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTony View Post
i did my headers myself. easy. you will love the sound. just wish jersey weather did not suck. i only have 400 miles on my camaro
Thanks Tony, even with the weather, I have over 4000 on mine since this past November , then again, a 200 mile round trip to work helps rack up the miles

Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
HEMIMYASS

Drives: 2010 SS CAMARO
I'm running long tubes

But I live in NY and my speed shop is taking care of the inspections
GOOD LUCK.
HEMIMYASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
HEMIMYASS

Drives: 2010 SS CAMARO
ANYBODY KNOW A CAMARO CLUB IN STATEN ISLAND???
HEMIMYASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIMYASS View Post
ANYBODY KNOW A CAMARO CLUB IN STATEN ISLAND???
No official club yet
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote