Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #267
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
His account is suspended, I don't know for how long.

More less told a mod he was just here to stir the pot.
Oh thanks.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #268
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
Well, for one thing, the LS7 won't be around for much longer. At the end of the day, I really don't see an alternative to a slightly hotter version of the LS3.

We'll see a potentially more powerful DI Gen V in the C7 in about two years, but I'd doubt that GM would spend the money to certify that for the current Camaro, right at the end of it's lifespan.
All the more reason to use the LS7 in the 5Gen Z28.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #269
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
A few cudos...and clarifications:

1) Number 3 is a valued member of this forum, not only for his "insight" from an OEM perspective but also, for his automotive engineering knowledge. He "tempers" our "boyz who dream" exuberance and passion with an occasional dose of reality...and reels us back to "what actually might be" territory. NEVER a bad thing, NOT a roadblock, NOT a killjoy...and certainly he's NOT of "beancounter cloth", although at some point the "beancounter$" WILL play their roll. A roll Number 3 is unfortunately familiar with... I think this is where the "respect" icon is inserted... Yes I've never met him, but consider him a friend (2cnd chance)

2) Z4E, for those of you not aware, moderates the CAMARO sub-forum at gminsidenews.com He's passionate. He's in contact, obviously, with all and sundry kinds of folks...some of whom even work for GM. As some have rightly mentioned, here, NO ONE on the "inside" DARE "spill the beans", in totality or perhaps even in an off-handed way. Doesn't mean "hints" of things that may come to pass are not/won't be present...and it certainly doesn't mean those within GM aren't above a lil "teasing"... After all, those folks put their pants on, one leg at a time, too.

3) My personal keen interest in seeing a Zee with an LS7 is based on personal experience, both street AND road course, with TT'd LS-series engines AND the LS7. And I'm here to tell ya, bang for the buck, gimme the LS7...ANY DAY... As I mentioned earlier, this sort of "concept" is far from new, or even recent. Goes back months 'n months...and there ARE GM folks chompin' at the bit to see a sensible, profitable version of this car come to market...long before the announcement of the BOSS. The BOSS simply (?!) makes the "discussions" more poignant...

And to mitigate "packaging issues" with regard to drysump, GM through GM PP has already created a wetsump LS7 kit...it was featured a few months ago in Hot Rod Magazine...will therefore crash-test like an LS3 (but you still have to "prove" that)...which means no sump tank hung out the front, or anywhere else. Will a wetsump LS7 live? Pete has the answer to that. I doubt he's popped any LS3s from oil starvation...

And for another co-operative venture NOT approved for production, take a gander at this from Thomson Automotive, a company somewhat familiar to GM Powertrain personnel and GM PP peeps:

http://www.thomsonautomotive.com/?page=ultimate_ls7.cfm

Something to consider, when YOU get YOUR Z/28...

And yes, that was a "tease"...too...kinda...

4) My mention of Akerson's quote regarding "special engines for sport(y) cars", even if NOT "accurate", certainly HINTS at "mass usage of existing components"...which builds a better "business case"...and builds it more quickly, with broader consensus...

5) Number 3's "observation" of "streamined production": TAKE NOTE! This car will not be all things to all people. Hell, I don't want no "*****" Zees in Panther Pink with fuzzy seats and illuminated make-up mirrors.

A few colors...a very few options...batch-built...weight-restricted...aero-correct with ZL1 splitter/spoiler...maybe the Heritage Grille for this obviously "heritage" car, as its primary differentiator, appearance-wise, since a crash-test is necessary anyway...

Now...someone start a THREAD on EVERY CAMARO SITE EXTANT...kinda like that luckless "El Camino" deal a few weeks back...soliciting GENUINE ORDER INTENT...

...and THEN send all results/feedback to someone as far up the foodchain in the RenCen as you can reach...

...and I'll raise MY HAND NOW!
I vote this quote of the week!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #270
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
There is nothing really that expensive on the LS3 or most LSx engines. In fact, they may even be cheaper to manufacture than the Camaro's 3.6 V6.

The LS3 is certainly cheaper to make than Ford's 5.0L Coyote motor. For sure MUCH cheaper than the Boss motor. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't put all of the LS7's forged, titanium, sodium filled, dry sump, fancy pants internals into a 6.2L like the LS3 for far less than what Ford spends on the Boss. The LS3 in the Corvette GS already incorporates the LS7's dry sump system. IF GM is truly serious about this whole deal, why can't they create a Z/28 specific engine off the LS3 in the same way that Ford did for the Boss? Blaming cost in this instance can pretty much be interpreted as not having the will to do it.

As far as the rest of the cost involved, well hey, GM isn't going to be giving these cars away for free. You'll probably be in the $40-$50K range by the time your done. If GM can't deliver the kind of product we're describing here, for that kind of money - then they just need to hang it up and get out of the car biz.
Time!
It would take tooooooo loooooong.

I'm sure it could be done for the low $40's. As a matter of fact I beleive Number 3 agreed on low $40's a few pages back.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #271
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Thanks for your interest. We now have made this the #1 replied to thread in the Z28 section.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #272
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Read the quote attributed to Akerson..."NO NEW ENGINE". And anything you do to an LS3 makes it a "new engine"...even an LS3.1...

Call GMPP...ask for a quote: "LS7 le$$ than LSA?". "Yes, absolutely, how many would you like? Discounts for volume..."

LS7 merely (?!) needs certification/validation in the Camaro chassis with Camaro gearing...just like they're doing for the ZL1...just like they did for the Z06...

Zee28

Exterior - 1SS, (4) available colors, See "Zee28 Performance Package" content

Interior - 1LS, finished in Black Cloth, with 2 additions: *Alcantara Steering Wheel; *Alcantara Shift Knob

Mechanical - 1SS; See "Zee28 Performance Package" content

Zee28 Performance Package - *7.0L LS7 Engine Assembly, *HD. 6-Speed Manual Transmission (ZL1-spec), *HD Rear Axle Assembly with 3.45:1 Ratio (ZL1-spec), * HD Brembo 6-piston (front)/4-piston (rear) Brakes (ZL1-spec), *Special UltraPerformance Suspenion/Bushings (to be determined, non-MR), *Special "Heritage" Grille - body-colored, *Special Front Splitter/Rear Spoiler (ZL1-spec), *Unique 19" X 11" Forged Multi-spoke Wheels, * (4) Michelin Pilot Super Sport Ultra-Performance Summer Tires - P305/30ZR19 (or equivalent), *weight-controlled mastic/deadener/matting

Available Option - USB Port/PDIM

Order Code : 1EZ37

Now...wasn't that EZ?!

Oh...forgot something...

MSRP...$44,995

Oh, say can you ZEE? How patriotic!!

Or, better yet, if the Mustang is a BOSS, then we'll call this one the C E O
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #273
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Thanks for your interest. We now have made this the #1 replied to thread in the Z28 section.
300 more views since 9:30 last night

Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #274
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Sing along with me:

To slightly alter a famous Corvette book title, and the words to a kinda famous song...

"Camaro: The Star-Spangled Sporty Car!"

Oh-h build me a ZEE!!
LS7 burning bright
What so proudly will WAIL
In the twilight, a-gleaming
With BROAD STRIPES on BRIGHT CARS
Filled with rumbling MIGHT!
O'er the racetracks we watch
Engine gallantly screaming!!
And the taillights' RED GLARE
The shifts ripping with FLARE
Gave proof, day and night,
Checkered flags are still there!!!
Oh say! Does that star-spangled
Hot car we crave
In the Land of the Free!!!
Mustang owners, be BRAVE!

OK...time for my meds...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 06-09-2011 at 12:07 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #275
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Very funny!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #276
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
300 more views since 9:30 last night

Are you lIstening GM???
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #277
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Are you lIstening GM???
They always are...that I can promise you.

But few people on the internet put their money where their fingers are. They're very aware of this, too...
Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #278
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

But few people on the internet put their money where their fingers are. They're very aware of this, too...
We'll find this out when the ZL1 hits the streets.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #279
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Are you lIstening GM???
Yes, and as I've said, I have conversations over coffee that go well into this topic.......................just for fun..................with other GM engineers that own Gen 1 Z28s......................over coffee.....................that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Wait.............what? Money where their fingers are? I have to use my finger to pull money out of my wallet..................what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
A few cudos...and clarifications:

1) Number 3 is a valued member of this forum, not only for his "insight" from an OEM perspective but also, for his automotive engineering knowledge. He "tempers" our "boyz who dream" exuberance and passion with an occasional dose of reality...and reels us back to "what actually might be" territory. NEVER a bad thing, NOT a roadblock, NOT a killjoy...and certainly he's NOT of "beancounter cloth", although at some point the "beancounter$" WILL play their roll. A roll Number 3 is unfortunately familiar with... I think this is where the "respect" icon is inserted...

2) Z4E, for those of you not aware, moderates the CAMARO sub-forum at gminsidenews.com He's passionate. He's in contact, obviously, with all and sundry kinds of folks...some of whom even work for GM. As some have rightly mentioned, here, NO ONE on the "inside" DARE "spill the beans", in totality or perhaps even in an off-handed way. Doesn't mean "hints" of things that may come to pass are not/won't be present...and it certainly doesn't mean those within GM aren't above a lil "teasing"... After all, those folks put their pants on, one leg at a time, too.

3) My personal keen interest in seeing a Zee with an LS7 is based on personal experience, both street AND road course, with TT'd LS-series engines AND the LS7. And I'm here to tell ya, bang for the buck, gimme the LS7...ANY DAY... As I mentioned earlier, this sort of "concept" is far from new, or even recent. Goes back months 'n months...and there ARE GM folks chompin' at the bit to see a sensible, profitable version of this car come to market...long before the announcement of the BOSS. The BOSS simply (?!) makes the "discussions" more poignant...

And to mitigate "packaging issues" with regard to drysump, GM through GM PP has already created a wetsump LS7 kit...it was featured a few months ago in Hot Rod Magazine...will therefore crash-test like an LS3 (but you still have to "prove" that)...which means no sump tank hung out the front, or anywhere else. Will a wetsump LS7 live? Pete has the answer to that. I doubt he's popped any LS3s from oil starvation...

And for another co-operative venture NOT approved for production, take a gander at this from Thomson Automotive, a company somewhat familiar to GM Powertrain personnel and GM PP peeps:

http://www.thomsonautomotive.com/?page=ultimate_ls7.cfm

Something to consider, when YOU get YOUR Z/28...

And yes, that was a "tease"...too...kinda...

4) My mention of Akerson's quote regarding "special engines for sport(y) cars", even if NOT "accurate", certainly HINTS at "mass usage of existing components"...which builds a better "business case"...and builds it more quickly, with broader consensus...

5) Number 3's "observation" of "streamined production": TAKE NOTE! This car will not be all things to all people. Hell, I don't want no "*****" Zees in Panther Pink with fuzzy seats and illuminated make-up mirrors.

A few colors...a very few options...batch-built...weight-restricted...aero-correct with ZL1 splitter/spoiler...maybe the Heritage Grille for this obviously "heritage" car, as its primary differentiator, appearance-wise, since a crash-test is necessary anyway...

Now...someone start a THREAD on EVERY CAMARO SITE EXTANT...kinda like that luckless "El Camino" deal a few weeks back...soliciting GENUINE ORDER INTENT...

...and THEN send all results/feedback to someone as far up the foodchain in the RenCen as you can reach...

...and I'll raise MY HAND NOW!
Far too much kindness and credit. But I have felt a kinship to many here in our ongoing discussions of things that are..............things that will be.................and things that are hoped for. These are the threads were the real passion is and friendly discussion can occur as there is really no truly right or wrong answer.

I give you a test................ask any Gen 5 owner on Camaro 5, "If I gave you $5,000 to spend on your car, what would you buy"? You will get answers from wheels to paint to driveline to chassis. And they are all correct answers because each customer is right in his own mind. And that is how this mythical car will play out. It may come to be, it may not. If it doesn't we'll have a thread on why not, if it does, we'll have a thread on all the things it has as well as all the things that it doesn't.

Love this Camaro5, I really do.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #280
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

You only have to answer 2 questions GM.

1. Will people buy a Z28?
2. How much money will we make?

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro